Am I thinking up a dream? (Starting a new life)

Discussion in 'General' started by token2004, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Lately my life BLOWS. I hate my job, my girlfriend and I are drifting apart so fast its not even funny... we basically aren't even together any more.. (been together for 3 years)... I am 20 years old and living with my parents and we REALLY don't get along lately. Its to the point where I live my life coped up in my room because I cannot stand them. I work a dead end job making decent coin but would love to start a good career or go to school. All that I have really is my xbox 360 and my German Shepherd named Zeus, oh and my car.. which is reliable and hopefully will be part of my adventure.
    Now the past week or so I have really been thinking... my snowmobile just broke so I am going to try and sell it as is for about 1200 bucks... income tax time is coming up in about 3 weeks and I will get another 500 or so from that... if I save all of this money and all of my pay checks for about a month in theory I can have about $3000 to my name... Now if you know me then you have probably heard me talk about how bad I would love to travel to or move to B.C.... but really what the hell is stopping me from packing up and going right now?? I did a little research and apprenticeships don't seem to be hard to come by which would be perfect because either way I want to do a trade for a career if I can.. What do you guys think? Am I being realistic? I don't even know where to start when it comes to planning!

2. Im sure we all have thought about "starting a new life" at one point or another, just most of us arent brave enough to give it a shot. Do you have any idea what you would want to do once you got to B.C.? Possibly browse some sights and look for a place to live or even someone looking for a roommate, something like this is very doable at it seems like motivation is on your side.
    Id say bank up that $3000 first just so you arent going to B.C. with nothing. Just my 2 cents

3. Forgot to mention... I live in Ontario... BC is only a 2 day drive if that which I have ALWAYS wanted to do.. my whole live. Its about 3700Km which is only approx 5 full tanks of gas in my car... which is only about $200 one way total. When I arrive I would get a hotel of some sort.. probably for one week wgile I search for an apartment.. after giving first and last months rent I should have enough money to survive for 2 months without a job anyways... but if worst comes to worst I could always get a job somewhere like a fast food joint to get by... if not its only a two hundred to drive home.

I dont think it could be that bad???

4. im in a similar position. i live at home but my parents are alright and i dont mind it too much. but one of my BEST friends just moved out to huntington beach california, and my dad was supposed to be getting a job out there soon i was pumped. well the job dont look like its coming through now, and i still want to move out there. i could sell my car for about 14 grand or 15 maybe, and go couch surf with my buddy til i can get a job and a place (id rather not blow the 15 grand as soon as i get out there) and ride my bikes everywhere instead of having a car. the only thing stopping me is that i personally just feel like its kind of reckless and risky for me to do. but i still think id fuckin love it out there. but its expensive as shit and theres supposedly a shitload of people. but he showed me a live webcam of the beach and i wanted to just bounce right then... not sure if i helped at all but i know how you feel kinda man. just not happy with where things are at here and want to make a big change

5. This is a picture of the city I would like to goto.. Kelowna..

[​IMG]

6. holy fuck man.
    i made a thread so similar to this early in the summer that just passed. we sound like the same dude. i'm also from ontario.
    i want to go to kelowna and everything...only thing stopping me is my girl of 2 and a half years.
    start looking on kijiji.ca for apartment listings. half of that 3000 can go towards first and last months rent, and then you make it your job to find a job in that time. you can do it.
    just come get me first! :D:D

7. We all have a visions of where we would like to end up, personally i would love to move but all my family is here.....sounds like the only thing you have left to do is go for it!

8. Go for it! You can either do it or keep thinking about it or thinking about why you didnt do it

9. This is actually quite interesting... Where abouts in Ontario? Send me a PM if you want and if you are actually serious and I decide to go through with it... willing to chip in on gas.. and weed? haha :smoking:

10. Im from Toronto, driving out to Calgary on the 27th of this month to see what I can make of myself.

11. I would start by looking for a job online. Write a resume and post it on Search Jobs. Find the Right Career. Get Employed. | Workopolis, or send it to a staffing service like manpower or something. Tell them your looking to relocate and you are willing to do anything. Try looking on craigslist for someone looking for a roomate. Apartments are hard to come by when you don't have a job, even if you have the deposit and 1st months rent, unless you have a cosigner. But the first thing you have to do is SAVE YOUR MONEY.

12. Sounds like a good plan. I would definitely lock down a job before going out there, though.

13. Really? Whats your plan?

14. You can achieve anything and go anywhere with one thing...well two I guess. Balls.

Save up a solid base amount of cash ($3000 would be sufficient starting out), plan your move well and go and take whatever you want in life. It's a far cry from unrealistic. Gl

15. Well I worked out there last year but I got layed off. I have been unable to find work out here and its basically not worth it for me to stay out here.

Ontario has more employees than employers, whereas out west its vice versa. I got a buddy in calgary and edmonton that I can crash by when i'm there. I'm basically gonna drive out and hand out my resume like crazy, even if I don't find work in my field, I will get into something else. I'm just sick of Toronto at this point.

16. ill be so proud of GC if you guys team up and reach kelowna or wherever it is together.

honestly i say go for it, why the hell not, eh?

17. Anything is possible man! I'm 26 years old and I still live with my parents in Indiana. I started school in January 2008 but I found out that my diploma wasn't going to give me what I consider enough for me. My parents are super cool and support everything I do and allow me to do everything but my town is practically backed by the 2 Chrysler plants and 3 local GM plants. I have thought about leaving for Oregon but in Novemeber, I decided to move to Colorado and now my parents are on board and they're actually helping me move to Boulder. I will know no one but at least I'll be in beautiful Boulder and I can make friends since I am a likable guy. The grass isn't always greener on the other side but compared to where I am now, at least there's grass there!!

18. Im in... thatd be pretty sweet... too bad my car isn't very big and my dog is! :cool: That would be pretty fucking epic though!

19. Just an update. Moved out to Edmonton from Toronto on March 3th with no job lined up. Found a job with 3 days. Sometimes you have to take chances.

20. bro can you take me with you? im from ontario also we can take a trip together :) beavis and butthead style