Am i really in the wrong here?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Sammyy, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Whats up grasscity, i was over at my aunts house and my family was all there. My little brother whos from a different dad came over, now we never see him only very rarely so when he comes over everybody treats him very nice and stuff. Now its not like im rude to him or anything like that but im just very indifferent about it all. Mine and my brothers relationship has always been odd, i tried to establish a relationship but he always treated me like a stranger so i just kind of started saying fuck it. He has autism though so i dont take him acting that way to heart.

So anyways we were all talking and they told me he was thirsty and i responded with "why are you telling me?" This caused a big stir up with them all coming at me saying im mean and a rude person. Like wtf its not like im being mean to anyone. So now im here at home, rolled up a fat one trying to just get high and forget about it, so i ask you gc, am i really in the wrong by simply being indifferent about family or are they all right?

Just felt kind of assholish of them but i just needed to vent

2. i feel you man, all of my bro and sis are from either different mom or different dad, so were all a big mix of folks and i tend to be the same way, indifferent to it all. ive always been the asshole of the family and was expected to treat all of my other siblings (young and old) better than i would myself...never did heh. was it a bit rude? yea ill give them that, but nothing to cause a big hubbub bub.

familly's expectations sometimes...

3. Well you are actually kind of an asshole seeing as the kid has autism, give him a break bro. I guess you're just one of those people who are indifferent to social expectation, not necessarily a bad thing but it wont get you far in life. 

4. Coming from someone with aspergers social interaction when you have any kind of autism is very painful. I act the same way to alot of people and its not intentional but when you have aspergers it feels like everyone is a stranger, you may recognize the face but you can't connect an an emotional level with people. You didnt do anything wrong but maybe try to engage him more and just understand he has problems.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. and instead of going out of the way to say "why are you telling me?" maybe just say "go get something then"

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. that sounds kind of rude tbh

7. Im not a dick to him or anything, im just kind of indifferent to him. I dont like tease him or be an ass or anything. What you said sounds like something i could relate though.. The social expectation difference thing

8. no, im that way with most of my extended family. how old is he?

9. #9 AK Infinity, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013

You aren't wrong for being "indifferent," you were wrong by expressing it in the manner you did.  I think its fair to say that your family's reaction to your behavior isn't a shock to you really, right?  If you rarely see someone, they show up and your behavior is different than it normally is, surely your family is going to see that and make a connection about it?  Maybe no one gets where you're coming from but I think talking about how you feel is infinitely better than keeping it bottled up so when it comes out you're left to answer questions about what's up.

10. Offer to get him a drink next time lol idk this is weird.

11. 11

12. Thank you, although that behavior wasnt really out of my normal i guess they acted that way because of the situation with him and never really seeing him, although yeah i couldve acted differently though

Next time i see him ill try to engage him with activity, idk how to explain it but im sure people that have been around autistic child know what i mean when i say, it can be hard.

I have have several siblings with disabilities.  I've worked with the disabled for over twenty years, its actually my field and career so I have some sense about what you're going through.  Dealing with someone with a disability isn't easy, true enough, and autism is a very difficult disorder to understand and exist around.

I thought that this was pretty cool (His case is more extreme but the point is the same):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHC0FzywHGY​

well this kind of explains a lot
    at least act like you have some sympathy for the kid especially if it's in front of your family

15. People often are at a loss when it comes to dealing with sever mental dissorders like Autism. I have a nephew who's own mother struggles with negitive emotions regarding him at times. Compounding this is the fact that the world at large feels we should be taking care of said persons, even at great personal cost. I for one simply try to treat my nephew as I would any other child. I feel it is in his best intrest to be treated fairly and with the same care any other child would recive.

16. They must have amazing parents. That was such an awesome video. I smiled the entire time.

It takes really special people with empathy to raise a child with so much love, because despite the autism he's such a great person, both of them are.