Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Am I physically addicted to the Herb?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by cayy, Dec 23, 2011.

1. I've been smoking only for about a year, daily, and mostly all day. Lately, I've been waking up in a panic attack, high anxiety and stomach pains. I immediately take a few hits from the pipe, and all my pains are relieved and I am anxiety free for the rest of the day.

If I stop smoking, will these symptoms get worse? I'm mostly concerned about my weight--95lbs at 20 years old. For some odd reason, weed hasn't helped me gain a single pound. But if I'm not high, I can't eat. If I quit I'll lose more weight, and I'm already dangerously thin (I'm 5'5 also).

What are some suggestions? Thank you

2. the studies I've read conflict with my personal experience.
    they claim marijuana has no withdrawals, but I've experienced severe anxiety, stomach pain, and insomnia. The insomnia is the worst part.

I'm on day two no weed after months of 5-10 bowls per day. I'm super irritable but the insomnia, thankfully, is non-existent. In my experience, sativas produce far worse insomnia when you run out of herb.

3. Id say go to a docter about the weight problem but dont bring weed up if your not comfortable with it.

4. There's definitely a physical component to marijuana withdrawals. There's no two ways about it. Any time I smoke consistently for a few weeks and then stop abruptly, I'll go through at least a day of hardly eating or sleeping, and sometimes even throwing up a few minutes after I eat anything. It's not unbearable, but it's not great. Luckily, once I'm past the first day I'm basically back to normal but I still might not sleep well for about a week (though I was an insomniac before I ever started smoking so I can't blame this all on the w/d.)

Most smokers will tell you there's no such thing as withdrawals because they're so hell-bent on dogmatically championing weed as the greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread-with-absolutely-nothing-fucking-wrong-with-it-ever. This is a stupid position to take, and one that is blind to the research:

Marijuana withdrawal among adults seeking treatment for marijuana dependence - Budney - 2002 - Addiction - Wiley Online Library

http://ukcia.org/research/WithdrawalInHumans.pdf

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/pha/8/4/483/

5. I think you have more problems right now than marijuana. That's a VERY low weight, along with other symptoms.

6. I've personally never experienced any withdrawls even if I just randomly stop. Maybe you guys are just thinking about it too much.

I can understand mental withdrawls but not physical

7. The withdrawal symptoms are pretty damn subtle in the wide world of substance withdrawal. "I'm not hungrys" and "I can't sleepies" happen for a few days with me and if I didn't know that weed caused it I might not even blame it. But it all depends on the person and everyone should be mindful of what can happen.

8. Lol im not one to brag but the amounts of herb u guys use is weak 5-10 bowls is a sitting for me and now i have to go jail and havent smoked for 3 days and feel the same. Like weed withdrawls? Wtf u guys are weird ass feinds

9. Having experienced both sides, I believe many stoners are self-medicators and have trouble dealing with other issues or systems (emotional or physical) when the cannabis is ceased. I had insomnia, couldnt eat, and didnt feel right for a day or two. After an emotional and life changing event for the better, I was not self medicating anymore but just got high because I felt like it.. After stopping then, it was never an issue of any withdrawals

10. Sounds more like those symptoms are attributed to your low weight, don't mean to be offensive op. I have been smoking for a long while and just went on a family vacation haven't smoked for 5 days now and no problems. Like I want to smoke but no withdrawl. Best if luck op sorry to hear about your pain.

11. lol sucks to be you guys i went on a 6 month binge one time completely high all the time then i stopped abruptly cause i moved and nothing happened to me i was still eating and sleeping like normal. i really had no problem

12. #12 dawnofwar, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
    Sounds like you may have other psychological problems or physical body problems, just a hunch.
    Also you may be hooked on pot. I know it's possible, when I stop for awhile all that really happens is I don't eat as much the first day, then that's it. I have insomnia, so when I stop for a few days its pretty fucking bad, but then it goes back to regular, go to bed at 11, fall asleep at 1 instead of 2 or 3.

I don't get irritable or anything like that, just what I stated. Hard to imagine people go through legit withdrawals from the herb =O If that's the case, then I would think you have some psychological issues concerning addiction, or psychological dependency, cause that's pretty fucking hard core. That's like heroin withdrawals.

Lets just examine it:
    With an opiate, everyone will get withdrawals, it's just a matter of time on how much you use.

With weed, only a few people get withdrawals. It's not a drug that says, "Hey! use me for a year straight and you will get withdrawals" (unlike above statement.)

It is also a known fact that people self medicate using drugs, and marijuana is a common drug for that, as it relieves a wide variety of symptoms, and can also mask a wide variety of symptoms.

I've been using weed for almost 4 years now, and I barely get withdrawals, idk if they could even be considered withdrawals, maybe I'm just experiencing my insomnia for the first time in awhile which is why it seems bad?

If you are getting withdrawals from weed, I would highly suggest you go see a doctor or a councilor, because I'm willing to bet a lot of cash or herb that you have additional psychological, or physical problems.

13. u cant be physically addicted, its all mental B)

14. sounds like bragging to me...

Anyways op, I believe your issues are possibly weight/health related. Stop smoking pot and put on some weight dude. Get healthy first, then feel free to use drugs.

15. I smoked every single day for two months then abruptly stopped for 22 days with absolutely no side effects. I think the insomnia stems from the fact that you're used to the weed putting you to sleep. When you stop smoking it doesn't do that anymore, and so it's just harder to got to sleep. As for the anxiety, weed affects everybody in different ways. If you normally worry a lot, weed can increase your anxiety a lot. The stomach pains are probably related to your low weight. You should really get that checked out..

16. Also, it's common for people to use drugs as a scape goat for their problems, example:

I'm starting to hear voices, it must be the weed I'm smoking all the time.

I can't eat when I don't smoke, it must be the weed.

They then shift the blame to the drug, as to avoid dealing with what ever problems they may have.

Now I'm not saying you can't be addicted to weed and get withdrawals, but when a huge huge huge portion of the pot smoking community doesn't develop withdrawals, then you most likely have other problems, and the weed is just furthering those problems. Because when you look at hard drugs, everyone who does them develops a withdrawal.

17. #18 fatblunts9-5-4, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
    Look man, all these people are saying most of the same things it's pretty obvious there's some physical symptoms when you stop smoking. "5-10 bowls is a sitting"<---bulllshhhittt there is no way you could take even 5 full bowls of my sour d. back to back unless you have a death wish.

I dont get anxiety I get the nausea, no sleep, and moodiness...best advice is eat even if you arent hungry you'll find that your appetite will be awoken from a THC slumber and your actually fuckin starving...95 pounds dude? EAT, it doesnt even matter what that is crazyyy low nourish yourself get a fuckin smoothie if your having a hard time keeping down solids.

yeah it sucks but it wont last longer then a few days and then its back to normal

unlike opiates that will physically fuck you up (imagine the worst flu ever) or Xanax which can cause seizures when you take it for a prolonged period of time and I've beat both of those and can tell you weeds the lesser of all those evils...

Its like an old friend to me by now...not that i don't have plenty of friends and family sometimes i just need to be me and at this point "me time" involves smoking some high grade marijuana I dont bother a fuckin soul, i dont go driving, it ALWAYS puts me in a better mood because i dont smoke schwag and I get high every time I smoke unless I'm with one of my weed disposal friends who just smoke back to back back...

18. i doubt its the weed. your 95 lbs and ur 20 years old. thats very bad. You probably have a weakened immune system, and more health problems that cause that shit not attributed to weed. I think you should go to a doctor and get a physical and a checkup just so you can figure out whats wrong with you and how to fix it. Weed was just doing what it does, medicating and making you forget your problems. When u dont smoke, you arent medicated. Its that simple, it truly is a medicine.

19. Yo quit the BS what are you on or what is wrong with you besides weed? theres no way you can weigh that little off of weed consumption alone...thats so fucking low...if its oxys you might be in for a ride but once you feel your body produce endorphines naturally its fucking awesome. once again EAT-you will feel better