Am I over-reacting?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by funsize999, Dec 12, 2009.

1. I haven't seen my friends in a long time (3, maybe 4 months) because I've been busy with university and I know I'll just waste a whole weekend if I go see them, and I don't have the time. These are pretty much the only friends I have.

Anyway, now that I've finished uni, I decided to call them and catch up, start hanging out again, you know? I tried on Wednesday, no answer. I called 3 or 4 times (called one guy), no answer, left a few messages, no answer. I figured, maybe they lost their phones or were at work or whatever (I messaged two different people). I tried again on Thursday, tried calling the same guy as Wednesday (and he was one of my closest friends...not so sure now), still no answer, so I figured he must have lost his phone. I called a different guy, and he answered the phone, he seemed genuinely happy to hear from me, going on about how it's been so long, they've been wondering where I've been, etc, and we made plans for Saturday. This cheered me up heaps, because I was thinking before this that maybe they didn't want to be friends anymore (a little side-note: the two people I tried messaging on Wednesday are boyfriend/girlfriend, and I'm really good mates with the guy, but I feel like his girlfriend doesn't really like me...and she's pretty much the core of our group).

I really feel like she doesn't like me. I don't know, it's just the way she acts around me, and she only ever really talks to me if no-one else is there. And she's always talking about herself, too. I thought of her as a friend, but I'm just not so sure anymore.

So, it's now Saturday, and none of them are answering their phones, and one of their phones (the guy who answered his phone) goes straight to the answering machine. I don't know if it's because they went to a party last night and are still hammered or what, or if my suspicions are correct. I'm feeling really shitty right now, because these are pretty much my only friends, and it's really hard for me to make new friends (I have social anxiety and it's really hard to approach people).

And, to top it all off, the girl is who I get my bud off. And I promised this guy from work (who is a pretty good friend, but I really can't imagine hanging out with him that often) that I would hook him up with some bud, since he doesn't have a dealer anymore. I've got work with him tomorrow too, and I feel shitty cause I let him down.

So, am I over-reacting? Or should I be legitimately worried that I no longer have any friends?

2. well you either do or you dont. worrying isnt going to change anthing. you did your part, if they dont reciprocate, then well...theres your answer i guess.

3. Friends like those... I suppose you need to meet some new people.

I was in the same boat awhile back, all my friends graduated college and moved really far away and got really busy with their new careers. What can ya do? I went out and met some new people, myself. Nothing really replaces a good friend, not even a new friend, but if you gotta have the company anybody friendly will do, ya know?

If you have the social anxiety (and I know I do) the best thing you can do is suck it up and drive your way through that shit, as insane as that probably sounds. Giving up isn't going to get you anywhere.