Am i meditating right?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ticklemefancy, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Im fairly new to meditation, and decided to give it another go last night. so i turned on some Ravi shankar music, and began to meditate. about 8 or 9 minutes in, my eyes began to "pulsate" or whatever. it just felt incredibly weird. my extremities also became fuzzy and tingly. Is this normal?

2. What you need to do is sit in silence, and simply watch your thoughts as they come and go. Don't try to control them, but also don't allow yourself to get involved in consciously thinking, just become a secondary observer of your own thoughts. Start out with 5 minutes, and increase a minute per day until you reach 15 minute sessions. After a few months you'll penetrate deeper and deeper in your mind, sort of cleaning it out. Many times you'll get to a point where your mind is really silent with no thoughts coming and going, and then it will come back full force with tons of thoughts because you'll have broken through to a deeper level of the mind. Eventually after a few months you can then also start working on thinking only a single thing, or to make this extra useful, imagine a shape and think only of this, that way you train the imagination as well as concentration at the same time, as the imagination needs to be trained to become plastic, it is this force of imagination that will eventually allow you to grab onto energies, but this takes a very long time to do in any sort of majorly objective way consistently.

Hope that helped. I don't know what you are trying to get out of meditation, I take the stance of a Mystic and so my training is geared towards training the mind and spiritual bodies to be more and more purified and have more control over myself. As far as the eyes pulsating, that is fine, there are many different sensations that will occur, particularly jerking and heat at first.

3. Thank you very much for your help.