Am I in trouble?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Purpkushh, Dec 22, 2014.

1. So ive just started my plants and two of them havr sprouted but im noticing either small fruit flys or gnats flying in my grow box. I am worried this is going to be a problem if I dont solve it soon. The box is pretty sealed up but the intakes dont have screens :/ that may be my problem

2. Your problem is you are giving them too much water.  Let the soil dry out before you water EVERY time.  

3. sounds like fungus gnats.

4. Sounds like they're going to implode.

5. How do I get rid of the gnats though? I just started the plants I havent really watered that much

6. #6 Mad_Prophessor, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
    Let the soil dry out.  They will die naturally.

If you have gnats, you gave them too much water.  ;)

7. gnatrol and yellow sticky traps

8. there's a lot you can do. my friend watered, and then covered the top of his medium with sand. you can also use sticky traps/ soapy water/ lady bugs/neem oil/etc.

9. Yea, sand is cheap, the coarser the better; it's been said that the sand cuts their wings off? Can anyone confirm from their own experience (the cutting of the wings, that is)? I never had that problem but once, using Coco ... my problem wasn't severe so I would keep a small vac available and would suck them up.

10. The sand is like little razor blades to them.  Their bodies are soft and when they try to dig in/out, the sand slices them to shreds.  So, in a way, I guess you could say it takes their wings off, but in reality, it is WAY worse than just that.  ;)