Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Am I giving a cop consent to search me?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by killermunchies, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Am I giving a cop consent to search me if I admit to having some weed and I give it to them? Because here in Mass, you can carry less than an ounce and get a $100 fine that you don't even have to pay. I was thinking this because if I had more than an ounce in the car or maybe some booze (I'm under 21) I really don't want to get searched. And if I hand over a little weed and sound sorry I think they would be happy to write me a ticket and not go any further. So in other words, I would be covering up a bigger crime by confessing to a small crime. What I'm asking is if I do this, would that give them probable cause to search the car further? Or could I still deny them access to the car?

Now I don't plan on ever having to do this but the idea just went through my mind. And I wouldn't do this initially either. But if things got bad and they wanted to bring dogs or something, I'd rather get a $100 ticket than get arrested. So what do you guys think?

2. I plan on being a lawyer (Or having a career in law) and I love these.

Yeah, the small crime > the big crime. But I think that they might try to also use a loophole on you if they found the rest somehow. Withholding evidence? I'm really not an expert, so...

3. To be honest, it would probably be dependant on the cop. I'm sure they could search you since you have a federally illegal substance, but unless you got the dick cop I would think you'd be fine.

Then again, NEVER carry more than an ounce (or bud in two bags) because on the off chance you give him a few grams in exchange for a ticket, he might be a dick and search your car, finding another stash of bud and can try charging you with intent to distribute.

Stay on the safe side and keep it no more than a half at a time, even if you have to make two trips. I'd rather lose a half than a full, and I'd rather get a ticket than an intent to distribute charge. But if you feel the need to get an ounce, take about two grams out and stash them somewhere small that the cops can't get to (or smoke it before you go if you are capable of safely driving high), because they WILL weigh it with the bag and the bag is apart of the weight, so if it's over you could be fucked with more than a $100 ticket.

4. I do not believe there are any laws that award being honest with a cop. You still are in possesion of an illegl substance regardless of how he finds it. Don't self incriminate!

5. Yes, it would give them probable cause. NEVER CONSENT TO ANY SEARCHES, I don't know how many times this has to be said. If you have an ounce in the car, don't give them probable cause and nothing will happen--there is nothing they can do. Willingly handing over dope to a cop in hopes of him not searching your car is just extra-strength dumb.

6. You giving it to them gives them probable cause to search your person, and car if you were just in a car. Always use your Amendments! If you don't smell like weed, and not acting odd ask why he pulled you over/questioning you (if your on foot); that means never admit to anything! Envock your 4th, 5th, and 6th Amendments. Even if he suspects you he can't do shit unless he gets a dog, and the dog hits something. Also don't fall for the "If you come clean now I will help you, but if you don't I can't do anything for you." speech haha they are such a fucking joke. If you admit to possessing it, or they have to get a dog to find it your going to jail either way. If you admit to it your definately going to jail, if you use your amendments they will either get a dog, get hits, and arrest you (or get fined), OR they will think you don't have anything because your not scared to tell them, no.

7. The thing is that I won't go to jail for less than an ounce. I will get a $100 ticket and be on my way. But if I have 2 ounces in the trunk but a gram in my pocket, my theory is that could potentially keep the dogs away if I handed over the gram. And thanks for the opinions everyone. These kind of ideas just float through my head.

8. #8 LCM, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2009
    Yeah, you will keep the dogs away but not the cop from sitting you on the curb in cuffs and tearing the shit out of your trunk because you just gave him probable cause. If you don't give the cop any reason to suspect that you might have drugs in the car and deny his request for a search, you will be fine. Calling a K-9 unit in isn't common practice for traffic stops. They do not call in dogs on a hunch...they need specific and articulable incriminating evidence.

9. All that's been said before sounds right. Remember that decriminalization didn't change the fact that pot is probable cause. They'll be more likely to verify that you have no more by searching than just writing you a ticket if you hand it over. It doesn't count as implied consent but at that point they no longer need consent. The very best advice I can give is to be safe and not ever get caught...