Am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BondJamesBond, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

This is my first grow, ever, of any sort of plant.

My plants are staying very small, and appear to not be growing much.

I keep seeing everyone else's pics and their plants are much larger than mine after 14 days ( which mine are at now).

I should note that I didn't put that plants in solocups until two days ago. I didn't know what rootbound was until then. I now feel like a moron, but I guess like anything in life atleast I learned something!

My healthiest looking plant is 3" tall.

I guess my question is, Considering I kept the plants rootbound for approximately 6 days, are my plants about the right size?

I am doing 1/4th of the nutes the container called for on week 1 of veg.

I have a single 240 watt blackstar LED very high above the plants, probably 4' high -- should I lower it to 14" yet or do the plants need to get taller first before I put the light so close?

Thanks for any help :)

Attached Files:

2. I don't think even a plant that small is having problems with being root bound. Root bound happens usually when somebody veg's too long and the roots fill out the container. It takes a really long time for that to happen.

You didn't mention what medium you're using. If you're using any kind of soil, you won't need nutrients for 25-35 days in my experience.

Get that light lower. It should be a lot closer. Try within a foot from your plants. The only thing you have to worry about is excessive heat from the light. Other than that, get it as close as you can without torching your plant.

They are small, but they'll get larger. They look really stunted. Just feed straight water for a week or so until it gets a leaf set or two. If you're in soil, continue with just water for 3-4 weeks. If you're in a soiless medium, go with straight water for about a week, then switch to a quarter dose and see how it responds.

Other than that, I'm sure they'll come around!

3. For 14 days that is still extremely small, definitely lower the light and make sure your temperatures don't get too high.

4. Thanks. I will lower the light in a minute and add a second 240 watt LED at same height. I will remove the nutes and run straight water for a week and see if I can turn these babies around.

5. Thanks for your response. What I meant by rootbound is that I kept it in the germination tray until almost this height, and never even checked to see if the roots were popping out of the cube in there. As soon as I picked the cube out of the tray I realized the roots were growing out of the cubes on the sides and the bottom, and I suspect it had been like that for 6 days ... Anotherwards, I should've moved them to a solo cup with my medium 6 days earlier than I did.

And Btw I am using viastone expanded clay rocks in the solo cups and just flooding the tray about three times a day for 15 minutes each time.

6. Thanks for your response. With one LED light it is staying a constant 71 degrees so far, I am going to add a second and see how it does.

7. Those temps aren't bad at all.. if anything a little too low, I'm running at an average of 80-85 degrees and my babies are growin like crazy.. adding another LED light should help greatly!