Am I crazy or a GENIUS?!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by JFlow941, Jul 23, 2012.

1. So i'm smoking a bowl thinking of how to spruce up my grow room. Seeing as how I want to do a few CFL grows before going all out into big $$ grows.

I have come to realize that tubes are not the wat to go, they way my setup is built anyway. I have come to idolize a set up posted on a different thread of mine, any ways its simple 3 pieces of wood 3 light fixtures 3 electrical cords and 3 splitters to allow for 6 2 - 3 bulbs per fixture

I am decided that I will get 6 105W 6500K EnergyMiser CFL's with 3 Reflective hoods. - Putting out 6200 Lumens per bulb.

For flower i plan to get 9 105W 2700K Global consumer products inc CFL with also 3 larger hoods, hopefully? Putting out 7150 Lumens per bulb.

Here's my question :) - Sorry I'm baked and rambleing. Can I somehow make ordinary kitchen aluminum mixing bowls into hoods by simply drilling the bottom?

Or can anyone suggest somewhere I can get different hoods for my CFL fixtures for relativly cheap?

Thanks GC sorry for the book.

2. 6 105w bulbs???

For how many plants?

3. 2 - 3 Max - Most Likely 2 it's for personal, my theory is more light more bud? :)

4. [quote name='"JFlow941"']2 - 3 Max - Most Likely 2 it's for personal, my theory is more light more bud? :)[/quote]

Thats ALOT of light though. I'd recommend 60 watt bulbs. 360 watts for 3 plants is even exsessive

5. #5 zippy657, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
    wtf man lol... at first i was sure you meant the incandescent equivalent wattage... ya WAAAY too much power. Just go HID man. if you are gonna throw down 700 watts you will do considerably better with a 600W mh/hps setup and after you consider all your sokets and reflectors youd do much better price wise that way too. dont be dumb. CFLs are great but pretty retarded if you start incorporating more wattage than you can get out of HID.

Yo answer you question though, home depot has 12 inch heavy duty drop light reflectors for 15 bucks. thats about the best you will do i think.

But dont do that... you are looking at 240 in bulbs 300 in fixtures/reflectors not to mention power strips and timers for all those plugs (unless you wire them to one plug). You WILL have to cool this too. CFLs burn cool but 800 watts of them do not lol. you can get a complete 600W switchable HID system with both MH and HPS bulbs for around 200 on ebay. then a fan is another 60 or so. 100% better to go that way.

What you really should do though for 2 plants is just get 2 of each color of those bulbs... one 105W over the top of each plant and a few 24W cfls around for good measure is all youll need. 250W for 2 plants is plenty... if you can get them in a good grow box with some mylar then its even better.. more power than that is just wasting money for maybe a day or 2 in growth time (if that).

6. Exactly. You might as well buy HID's with that much wattage.

7. #7 gbis59ll, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
    man go HID, people like you are straight up IDIOTS trying to do CFL's get real dude,

do u want 1-2 o's or 10-15 o's

0 tolerance for direspect / name calling..
    -YODA

8. idots? really bro? get the fuck off my thread with your insulting bullshit. if i want to do CFL its MY fucking business. How about YOu get real and Fuck off my thread with your negativity.

Everyone else - Thanks for the advice, my only concern on hid is the heat, I live in a HOT state so heat will def be a factor, i don't want to throw 2 grand in a set up for only 3 plant max grow - make sense? I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck without getting to technical (I want a few grows in before actuallu extensifying my grow setup)

9. [quote name='"JFlow941"']idots? really bro? get the fuck off my thread with your insulting bullshit. if i want to do CFL its MY fucking business. How about YOu get real and Fuck off my thread with your negativity.

Everyone else - Thanks for the advice, my only concern on hid is the heat, I live in a HOT state so heat will def be a factor, i don't want to throw 2 grand in a set up for only 3 plant max grow - make sense? I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck without getting to technical (I want a few grows in before actuallu extensifying my grow setup)[/quote]

Makes total sense my man. Actually a very smart move.

10. [quote name='"gbis59ll"']man go HID, people like you are straight up IDIOTS trying to do CFL's get real dude,

do u want 1-2 o's or 10-15 o's[/quote]

Really? IDIOTS like you don't need to be pointlessly insulting fellow blades. This not just a forum but a community. Start acting like it. Or should I say "get real dude" :lauging:

11. Fans filters and heat are big issues bro, not to be taken lightly by a novice grower, know what I mean. No sense in dropping serious cash on a set up if all i'm going to do is kill beans.

What would you recomend for heat on HID (Switchable) 400W - keep in mind, i'm trying to be stealthy and low cost (i'm not tight on the pockets, i just think my kids college fund is more important than my grow room)

12. [quote name='"JFlow941"']Fans filters and heat are big issues bro, not to be taken lightly by a novice grower, know what I mean. No sense in dropping serious cash on a set up if all i'm going to do is kill beans.

What would you recomend for heat on HID (Switchable) 400W - keep in mind, i'm trying to be stealthy and low cost (i'm not tight on the pockets, i just think my kids college fund is more important than my grow room)[/quote]

Depends on the grow tent. If you can get a 400 plus CFM inline exhaust fan for a grow room similar to the size two by three by seven, you should be golden. Also, look into Air coolable hoods. If you've got measurements I can proceed to help even further :)

13. That's another of the great cunundrims lol. My grow room/tent will probably end up in a closet. I would like to make it ideal to fit 400W switchable and 2 Bubble buckets maybe 3 depending on how froggy I feel. I mean specs are pretty open right now and i am even thinking about tents, I was never a fan of them but the more i read and the more journals i read the better they are sounding.

For a similar setup what size tent/room would you suggest

400W switchable
    Lets say I get an Inline
    a Reg walmart Fan
    2-3 5 Gal buckets

I was thinking somehting along the lines of 3' w 2' d 4/5' t

Does that even sound like its close to the right specs for a 400W switchable?

14. Let's make this easy :)

So your first two measurements involve only the space of the containers as this is your floor space.
    Make sure there is extra space for the plants as well.

Now the 3rd measurement is much more important due to the fact you don't know how tall your plants will become. I recommend at LEAST 6'.

5 gal buckets grow a 5ft plant quite easily, and you can't exclude the space requirement for lighting and the height at where your sprouts are in the tent.

Having extra space is a better feeling than too little.

For a 400w HID I recommend a 3x3x7.5 tent. Just to be safe. The cost of the bigger tent will only rise 20-60 bucks. A small amount to pay for a successful yield.

15. I agree there is no place for that kind of negativity, but lets be clear on a few things:

1) That much CFL will put off a whole lot more heat than any HID bulb!
    2) That much CFL will cost you more than any HID set-up even with inline fans
    3) That much CFL is just kinda dumb for the above 2 reasons.

lol there is zero upside to forcing CFL's for that kinda power.

BUT... I think what you are describing is in fact best suited for CFL after all, you just need way less.

3 x 2 would be a small but within reason size for a 400W HID, but only as a table top for like 6 plants, not for a total grow space or tent size.

If you are making a grow space that small you will be growing 2 plants about 3.5 feet tall (def go 5' tall at least with the grow space cus the bulb n pot take at least a foot). This would be best accomplished with CFL lighting and not HID as that is too small a space for hid and you only need 250 - 300 watts to cover it with pleeeenty of cfl light.

Like i said above:
    in each color temperature you need two 100ish watt bulbs to hang over the top of each plant and say 6 24 watt bulbs for suplimental lighting for when the girls get growing and for good strong flowering of lower buds. This will stay pretty easy to cool with regular fans in a closet and wont break the bank... skip the tent IMO and just mylar up the walls in your space. if it starts to stink too much youll need to do some inline ducting anyways, but that cant be helped. if the smell wont be an issue then just a fan going in the closet with some exchange to the room/house is plenty for fresh air and temp regulation.

16. 6x105=630 watts, not 360 watts.

That's a lot of light, but definitely not way too much. That's about 200w per plant, and considering that CFLs are only half as efficient as HIDs in converting watts to lumens, that is roughly the equivalent of 100w of HID per plant. Not excessive at all.

But...I agree with the larger point that by the time you buy all these bulbs, fixtures, wiring, do the labor to put it together, drill holes in mixing bowls and such -- you would be better off to just get a 250w or 400w HID kit. With CFLs you just don't get nearly as much light per watt as you do with HIDs, so why invest in it? Especially if it isn't going to save you much (if anything) on the front end?

17. May want to re read. I suggested 60 watt bulbs 6 multiplied by 60 is 360. :)

18. no dude.. it is just way too much lol. its not gonna kill em or anything but he says 6 for veg and 9 for flower... you need like 70W per plant to veg to a foot esp if you have a few plants (just one and its more like 100). its just super overkill. he needs 200W tops for 2 plants at 6500k the extra 400 watts might (read: probably wont even) buy you a couple days in veg speed, but thats a huge waste IMO. 100W per plant is more than enough if you use them right.

19. or or and just stick with me are you boooooooth? no idea what this thread is about sorry for the stupid post

20. Toasty and Zip thank you for your replies - I DO plan to convert to HID in the near future. I simply want to CFl grow a few plants before stepping my game up. I'm simply trying to crawl before I walk - so to speak