am i being selfish?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by HighHaze, Apr 17, 2009.

1. #1 HighHaze, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
    I hate MTV and basically all mainstream media conveying stupid ass teenage drama and superficial rich girls and phony "romanticism"

my girl watches the hills......what a coincidence :rolleyes:

her bday is coming up. i dont celebrate my bday because i think it is just another day, and so was everyone elses birthday (but i would celebrate someone ELSES bday). so i thought about buying her The Hills on dvd, but u guys just dont understand how much i hate this show and everything it stands for.

just the thought that my money is going into their hands pisses me off and is enough to make me not want to buy it for my gf. i like standing by my values, but now im wondering if im being too selfish?

i realize that i've been really passive my whole life so i feel like i've been trying to compensate by being selfish lately, so maybe thats why.

2. i feel the same way you do about the teenage drama trends and all that stuff. but i think you should just suck it up buy the thing, explain to her why you didn't want to buy it and why you did anyway

3. ^ I second that. I never got into MTV when everybody else was for some reason. I know it stinks to buy it, but she'll love ya for it. And you won't feel selfish for doing that.

4. Buy it, don't have to explain anything, just act like you were happy to get it for her and she'll be satisfied.

5. Honesty is the best policy. :) Always good to make it clear where your heart is at.

6. This sentence is very important and could possible direct you where you need to go. You should examine it after you find some resolution with your dilemma, it's buried at the end but maybe it should have been placed at the beginning. As to your situation, in my humble opinion you should get her the gift that she would like. Gift giving shouldn't be based on one's own personal tastes or it would cut the heart right out of it. It's clear you want her to be happy, so...

7. #7 Mr.GoodStuff, Apr 17, 2009
    No, unless you don't get her anything at all. She'll get it eventually- you can always take her to a concert she wants to see or something. If you buy it for her, she'll probably make you watch it with her. No good.

Be assertive (agressive rather than sappy) and honest of your feelings if you decide to get her that. However, you can always find something else she enjoys that you both can agree on. A good bag of dro always goes over well with stoner girls. (but only if it's rare and not readily available)

That way, everybody wins. That much is never selfish!

8. If you can't find a better gift, get it. Because like ^ said, if you don't get it, she'll get it if she likes it enough.

9. It's a gift for HER, in this situation, 'fuck what you want' has to be said, I'm sorry. Make it known you hate the show, by all means. Still, it's not a gift for you, savvy?

^

10. you can find something else. I wouldn't spend my money on that shit either

11. #11 Budwisesir, Apr 17, 2009
    My girlfriend loves those stupid musical movies, you know, like a broadway show. Well, she wanted a movie and it wasn't her birthday or any special day, just a regular day. I walked down to the movie store and bought her it despise the fact I hated that kind of stuff. It's not about what I hate it's about how much I care for her materialistic needs. If she isn't a gold digger or always wants something, I'll be more than happy to get her a stupid movie.
    :p

You're both going to have opposites which you will find you won't like. But don't let that get in the way and destroy the relationship. It's the small, simple things that matter the most.

12. get her something, just not the hills on dvd. such a bad show haha

13. #13 HighHaze, Apr 17, 2009
    thanks for the replies.

i thought to myself that she might get it later on anyway but the point is that i dont want to have anything to do with that crap. althought i may be trying to compensate for my passiveness, i have strong feelings and hatred towards things like this.

materialistic needs? they dont NEED the hills on DVD bro. but maybe this i spart of a bigger problem, because ever since i've matured i feel like my gf is not for me. she is book smart, but not really intellectual which is something i would love for my gf to be. also i hate the pop music she listens too. she also can be materialistic at times which is a big turn off for me, as you may see. maybe im just being too picky, but these are really important aspects in my life and my ideal gf would have them. not everyone gets their ideal gf though.

i dont even know where im going with this, but every time i think about this situation (the dvd) it gets me mad because the more i lean toward buying it, the more i visualize the idiots that made this show celebrating because they have earned my money :mad:

14. Give her something better than the Hills DVDs. She'll get bored with watching them quickly. Get her something lasting. Paint her a picture. Or get concert tickets. Get her something you guys can enjoy together.