Am I being a spoiled brat?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by slightlysto0pid, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Economy is bad as fuck. Shit why cant we just get superbaked togrther and go to old country buffet then go home and fuck.

2. Dating an 18 year old guy, be happy he's getting a paycheck at all ;)

You sound like you do good for him, he'll turn it around eventually... maybe...

3. Eh, I would expect a bit more effort from him for your one year anniversary, but I wouldn't be so concerned with the material aspect of it.
    It would definitely be superficial for you to be upset that he didn't spend as much money as you would expect.
    If you are just expecting more effort, affection, and attention from him, seeing as how it's your anniversary, than he is giving you, that is not superficial or you being spoiled.

I think you just need to remember it's not just about the gifts, as much as it's about being treated like a great girlfriend on your guy's anniversary.

My man and I are extremely equal when it comes to money. Antiquated views on money-related chivalry are unrealistic, outdated, and full of gender-bias.

4. Lol I can tell who some of the jive asses and broke asses are on here, just kidding.

Kind of.

But really, some of you had good points. I was acting a bit like a spoiled brat, I can see how I was in some aspects but on the other hand I want somebody as successful as I am. I don't want to be a sugar mama or any shit like that, I don't know about some of you guys but when I was eighteen I was making bank and going to school, it's not like you still need to hold mommy and daddy's hand when you're eighteen.

5. I'm in the same situation as you. Except I'm the one who makes a lot of money and my gf doesn't (I probably make three times as much as her). Only difference is, I don't hold it against her. I know she's trying and she makes as much as she is able to. She works when she can, and she pays for things whenever she can. And I still love her. If money is the worst of your problems, then you are ok. Then again, it sounds like you two have more problems then just money.

6. I'm not all about big gifts when it comes to relationships. I mean, ok cool you got me something nice and expensive, but I would of been just as happy if it was something small and from the heart. Its the thought that counts. Once in a while big gifts are cool, but not for EVERY single freaking occasion am I going to shell out hundreds of dollars.

I will side with you on the dinner part though. One year anniversary, IMO, warrants a good enough reason to go out to dinner. Him not having money is his fault and careless in my mind. He knew that the anniversary was coming up, he should of put aside at least 20$ from each paycheck 2 or 3 months in advance so he could take you out. Or if he wanted to save some cash he could of bought ingredients for a nice 2 or 3 course meal and you guys could of enjoyed the time cooking together.

7. As a dude myself, I have to agree with this. I've been dating the same girl for 5 years, I couldn't imagine just letting an anniversary dinner slip by. Shit, last year I saved up $350 to buy my g/f a Coach purse, not easy to do with work/school/ and internship but to see how much she loved it made it all worth the struggle.

Maybe he's just getting lazy lol

8. why the fuck don't one of you just make dinner?
    why do you HAVE to go out?
    spending money like that all the time is annoying.

9. Take me instead 'n I'll marry you if you want? I'd be over the fuckin' moon if I was gifted an Infected Mushroom ticket. lol
    Totally agree with the guy above though. My perfect night with the missus? Hit of acid each.:smoke:

10. #30 StickyIckyRicky, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
    As someone that usually doesn't have a lot of money to blow I can tell you that if I did and I was dating the right girl I would have no issues spending a good amount of cash to make her happy.

That being said, since I'm in the category of the oft-broke college kid (and yes, please take note that I had two jobs at one point earlier in the year, but can't always dedicate my time to "making bank" when I have a GPA to keep up, a GPA in my major to keep way up, a TA job to do, etc.), usually I keep it to just kickin' around the house. I can easily whip up a really nice dinner and your favorite dessert and then snuggle your face off, but I can't always afford to take you out to a nice bistro or something similar and upscale-but-not-too-upscale like that, y'dig?

all that should really matter is that you care for each other. situations like this always kind of remind me of The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry.

EDIT: though you are totally awesome for buying him Infected Mushroom tickets. But don't front like those are super expensive tickets. It's not Rock The Bells; I saw Infected Mushroom two months ago and it was $30 for a ticket.

11. I used just tell girls just straight im not getting you presenets i dont have money to spend, so you dont get me anything either, it ussually worked out good.

12. Why do you worry about stupid minor shit like who he's had sexual contact with in the past? that shouldn't matter in YOUR relationship..unless he's got VD!

13. He sells weed? Then stop your fuckin' bitching. If you care about him then money shouldn't be an issue.

Chicks these days, man. Gimmegimmegimme! 'Sall a man seems to hear nowadays.

14. yes...yes you are....

hes 18....hes trying to enjoy life and be young while he can.....fuck a job and all that bullshit that comes with adulthood, if you can avoid it..
    if u dont like it break up with him and get with a typical adult male, instead of a young man trying to enjoy life.

15. Haha word, a lot of you people sound mad chill and really put shit in perspective, I kind of feel like a dumb bitch for making a big deal out of nothing now but I'm glad I at least came to realize a lot of things, thanks to everyone who had something good to contribute. I guess I needed someone to put me in my place and now I learned a new lesson, good shit.

16. Hey, NBD, we all have our little issues here and there along the road to finding the right one for each of us. Always glad to be of help. Just put it past ya and keep on rollin' with whatever makes you feel good. :wave:

17. #37 budsmokn420, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
    Well you're username pretty much explains it...

Edit; jk, jk :D

18. Honestly, i wouldn't be bitching. At least your boyfriend did something, appreciate that a little more. I've been with my boyfriend for about a year and a half and we did NOTHING for our anniversary.
    Basically, we celebrate being together everyday in the little things we do. Sure it's nice to get presents, but i don't need it and neither do any of you.

19. [quote name='"slightlysto0pid"']Lol I can tell who some of the jive asses and broke asses are on here, just kidding.

Kind of.

But really, some of you had good points. I was acting a bit like a spoiled brat, I can see how I was in some aspects but on the other hand I want somebody as successful as I am. I don't want to be a sugar mama or any shit like that, I don't know about some of you guys but when I was eighteen I was making bank and going to school, it's not like you still need to hold mommy and daddy's hand when you're eighteen.[/quote]

You really just convinced me your a bitch ... Not all of us are able to work am I gonna live on the streets instead of with
    My patents to keep my pride? Fuck no , your nervy and insulting . I'm surprised you even have a bf

20. I don't think wanting nice things is being a spoild brat--what you should have done is bought yourself some nice stuff instead of spending the money on him. oh wait but i guess then everyone would say you're being selfish...and then at that point, do you really want a relationship like that? or do you want a relationship where you both 'spoil' each other. truth be told, you need to find a guy who shares your attitude and desires. it sounds like you've been working hard and towards something for quite some time and have made sacrifices in the pursuit of your goals; unfortunately, most 18 year olds don't have any sort of real perspective on leading a successful life--hell most 25 year olds don't. anyways, to all the other people talking shit about you, it's not like she didn't get him anything and then demanded that he buy her stuff. it sounds like she was hoping that the person she's in a relationship with was something he wasn't -- not saying that he's something bad or even he can't make someone a great boy-friend, i'm just saying there's nothing wrong with realizing he doesn't make you a great boyfriend.

Also, he may just not take dating anniversaries seriously--did you and him talk prior about the anniversary? does he normally buy you little gifts as best he can or does he only do it for special occasions? before being able to pass any sort of judgement about you being 'spoiled' or him being a bum, so much more info would be necessary.