Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Am I addicted???

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Captain Amazing, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Ok, so i've been smoking for several years, but would at times through that I would only smoke every f3-6 months, never had a problem. Even quit for almost a year at one point. Also, I had only smoked schwag until i recently moved to washington and have only been smokin dank nugs since. I havent smoked in 2 days before tonight, have been smoking everyday since the move pretty much, and I have been sweaty, neasueated, with a migraine the WHOLE time pretty much, but I took one hit, not even real high, but got some, and now im fine, all went away instantly. Was I having withdrawals for the first time in 9 years smoking or am i most likely just coming down with something?

2. you might wanna get that checked out

3. *face palm*

4. your not addicted weed has no withdrawal symptoms it can't be anything cannabis related trust me your fine now go get sum dank and feel even better!

5. Yes you are.

I have found the older I get the more susceptible I am to withdrawal symptoms.

This applies to any drug that I take a lot of, including Aleve.

With pot, I get vivid dreams/nightmares and sweats when I stop.

No cravings or scratching myself raw but I get active and less lethargic.

The nighmares are pretty scary sometimes, but now I just wake up.

6. actually, there are some symptoms and you can definitely get addicted to weed.
    if you smoke a lot you are messing up your brain chemistry. it'll take a few days to weeks to recover. headaches, trouble sleeping and such are very common. nothing serious or permanent tho.

7. you should go snizz Oxycontin everyday for 2 months, then u will no what an addiction is.

8. agreed.

9. thats not true at all. someone who smokes heavily for a long time who has to quit cold turkey will have withdrawls

sweating,
    insomnia,
    mood swings/irraitability,
    loss of hunger

10. Weed is a relatively harmless drug, but still a drug. I think many people on GC underestimate its risks.

11. I am not saying weed is harmless, but I don't think it is underestimated. If any thing is underestimated it would be addiction, a lot of people do not realize what being addicted really means.

12. I think people overestimate it's addictive capabilities. I've seen what coke and heroin addictions can do. People sell and pawn shit until they have nothing left. If you're never desperate for the drug, I would hardly call it addicting. If I were to stop drinking coffee I think it'd be physically worst than to stop smoking weed

13. Why do people insist on making these thread on GC ?

You are not addicted. Cannabis is not addictive. You are adjusting to not smoking cannabis.

Stop this nonsense already.

14. Cannabis IS addictive..........slightly addictive. No where near as addictive as opiates and such, but most people still will experience some withdrawals when they quit. Not everyone will though. Some are more susceptible to these withdrawal symptoms than others, and for most, they are pretty mild.

But to categorically state that cannabis is not addictive is totally false. The fact is, is that anything that fucks with your brain chemistry is going to be addictive to one extent or another.

15. #15 Poisongage, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2009
    You are wrong. Completely wrong. Now i have had to hear this shit from another user here on GC, so i will show you what i showed him:

Taken from: Official Clinical Findings of Fact on Cannabis (Marijuana).

Reproduced and collated from the Data and Conclusions of the official Empirical Studies into long and short-term use and smoking of cannabis, the following are
    THE FINDINGS OF FACT OF THE REPORT.
    Cannabis: The Facts, Human Rights and the Law.

Cannabis:

1. is not toxic in any possible quantity; i.e. is incapable itself of inducing fatality in a human;

2. is not addictive, physically or psychologically; i.e. does not induce physical or psychological dependence
    * ;

3. is not pathogenic, does not cause physical or mental deterioration, has no adverse effect on mental or physical health;

4. does not cause skill impairments (including driving tests);

5. is benign;

6. has no potential for abuse, or maltreatment of the user; cannabis has no potential for harm or danger;

7. does not cause crime;

8. does not lead to the use of drugs (i.e. toxic, addictive substances);

9. mitigates, reduces, and can preclude the use of drugs; (see bottom part of post)

10. cannabis as Preventive Measure/Preventive Medicine is health-enhancing: all use of benign cannabis is medical, whether by the sick or hale: the fallacious arbitrary fictitious ‘distinction’ between ‘medical’ and ‘recreational’ use is exceedingly damaging.

* = (the non-existant "mental addiction")

Peer reviews of this study:

"You have done a splendid job of producing a comprehensive summary of the evidence documenting that the prohibition of the production, sale and use of cannabis is utterly unjustified and produces many harmful effects. Any impartial person reading your REPORT will almost certainly end up favouring the re-legalisation of cannabis."

NOBEL LAUREATE PROFESSOR MILTON FRIEDMAN,
    Economics’ Adviser to U.S. government; Author, video and TV series writer and presenter; Senior Research Fellow, Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace; Professor Emeritus, University of Chicago.

"You represent a worthy part of the fight in many countries for the logical and beneficial use of cannabis. I thank you for that."

PROFESSOR PATRICK D. WALL,
    Author; Professor of Physiology, UMDS St. Thomas’s (Teaching) Hospital, London; Fellow of the Royal Society; DM, FRCP.

"I am totally amazed at THE REPORT’s quality and overall goodness."
    DR. ANNE BIEZANEK,
    Authoress; ChB, BSc, MB, MFHom.

"A fine document."
    U.S. JUDGE’s letter to Authors.

"THE REPORT’s thesis is sound."
    U.K. JUDGE’s letter to Authors.

"I did enjoy reading it. THE REPORT should contribute much."
    THE HON. JONATHON PORRITT,
    Bt., Adviser to U.K. government on Environment; Author; Founder, Friends of the Earth; TV series writer and presenter.

------------------------

Taken from: Excerpt from the Merck Manual

The following is an excerpt from the Merck Manual, the US military's field guide to medicine:

...no physical dependence [as a result of cannabis usage]; no abstinence syndrome when the drug is discontinued.

Cannabis can be used on an episodic but continuous basis without evidence of social or psychic dysfunction. In many users the term dependence with it's obvious connotations probably is misapplied.

Many of the claims regarding severe biological impact are still uncertain, but some others are not. Despite the acceptance of the 'new' dangers of marijuana, there is still little evidence of biologic damage even among relatively heavy users. This is true even in the areas intensively investigated, such aspulmonary, immunologic, and reproductive function.

Marijuana used in the USA has a higher THC content than in the past. Many critics have incorporated this fact into warnings, but the chief opposition to the drug rests on a moral and political, and not a toxicological, foundation.

(Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, 15th edition, 1987,Robert Berkow, MD, Editor-In-Chief. Published by Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories Division of Merck and Co, Inc)

------------------------

Taken from: Erowid Cannabis Vault : Exposing Marijuana Myths

It is now frequently stated that marijuana is profoundly addicting and that any increase in prevalence of use will lead inevitably to increases in addiction.

THE FACTS

Essentially all drugs are used in "an addictive fashion" by some people. However, for any drug to be identified as highly addictive, there should be evidence that substantial numbers of users repeatedly fail in their attempts to discontinue use and develop use-patterns that interfere with other life activities.

National epidemiological surveys show that the large majority of people who have had experience with marijuana do not become regular users.

In 1993, among Americans age 12 and over, about 34% had used marijuana sometime in their life, but only 9% had used it in the past year, 4.3% in the past month, and 2.8% in the past week. 59

A longitudinal study of young adults who had first been surveyed in high school also found a high "discontinuation rate" for marijuana. While 77% had used the drug, 74% of those had not used in the past year and 84% had not used in the past month. 60

Of course, even people who continue using marijuana for several years or more are not necessarily "addicted" to it. Many regular users - including many daily users - consume marijuana in a way that does not interfere with other life activities, and may in some cases enhance them.

There is only scant evidence that marijuana produces physical dependence and withdrawal in humans.

When human subjects were administered daily oral doses of 180-210 mg of THC* - the equivalent of 15-20 joints per day - abrupt cessation produced adverse symptoms, including disturbed sleep, restlessness, nausea, decreased appetite, and sweating. The authors interpreted these symptoms as evidence of physical dependence. However, they noted the syndrome's relatively mild nature and remained skeptical of its occurrence when marijuana is consumed in usual doses and situations. 61 Indeed, when humans are allowed to control consumption, even high doses are not followed by adverse withdrawal symptoms. 62

Signs of withdrawal have been created in laboratory animals following the administration of very high doses. 63 Recently, at a NIDA-sponsored conference, a researcher described unpublished observations involving rats pretreated with THC and then dosed with a cannabinoid receptor-blocker. 64 Not surprisingly, this provoked sudden withdrawal, by stripping receptors of the drug. This finding has no relevance to human users who, upon ceasing use, experience a very gradual removal of THC from receptors.

The most avid publicizers of marijuana's addictive nature are treatment providers who, in recent years, have increasingly admitted insured marijuana users to their programs. 65 The increasing use of drug-detection technologies in the workplace, schools and elsewhere has also produced a group of marijuana users who identify themselves as "addicts" in order to receive treatment instead of punishment.

---
    Side note:

* = note that this is pure THC, not smoked Cannabis, therefore, many of the essential compounds of the cannabis plant are not used in combination with the THC, and therefore, differing results occur. Note bottom part of same text.

------------------------

Taken from: Erowid Cannabis Vault: Basics

Regular use of cannabis can lead to psychological habituation for some people making it difficult for them to quit. Studies have estimated that between 5 and 10% of those who try smoking cannabis will become daily users sometime during their life, but most of these smokers will have given up the habit by age 30 and few remain daily smokers after age 40. Most people do not experience signs of physical addiction, but with regular daily use use, mild to medium withdrawal symptoms usually occur for less than a week, but can extend for as long as 6 weeks.*

---
    Side note:

* = Note that the symptoms reported are not physiological (addictive) conditions. They are mental. Adjustments made by the brain to the changes in the levels of cannabinoids in the body. That results in a change of consciousness, which produces the restlessnes/extra energy/sleep deprevation in some users. As for nausea, this is the result of the lack of cannabinoids in the system. When you cut the levels of cannabinoids in your system after a long term with high-levels, your endocannabinoid system (the system that controls your whole body, including nausea) has to adjust (of course). This is a normal, non-addictive trait, found not only in drug use, but in food intake, sex overstimulation/deprevation, work/stress related issues and much much more.

------------------------

A bit about drug addiction:

Taken from: PhysOrg.com - drug addiction

"Drug addiction is a pathological condition. The disorder of addiction involves the progression of acute drug use to the development of drug-seeking behavior, the vulnerability to relapse, and the decreased, slowed ability to respond to naturally rewarding stimuli. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) has categorized three stages of addiction: preoccupation/anticipation, binge/intoxication, and withdrawal/negative affect. These stages are characterized, respectively, everywhere by constant cravings and preoccupation with obtaining the substance; using more of the substance than necessary to experience the intoxicating effects; and experiencing tolerance, withdrawal symptoms, and decreased motivation for normal life activities. By the American Society of Addiction Medicine definition, drug addiction differs from drug dependence and drug tolerance."

There are many other resources i could cite for this, but i chose the first one i had at hand. This clearly states, that drug addiction is a pathological (physical) condition, meaning that addiction to drugs does not encompass "mental" addiction, or habitual drug use as i would say. An addiction to drugs, is therefore, the physical tie that lies between you and the drug you are addicted to. And Cannabis contains no chemicals that causes addiction (none of Cannabinols or Cannabinoids found in the plant, as of todays studies).

Cannabis simply cannot cause addiction (physical), because it does not function in the brain the same way that addictive drugs do - it is from natures side designed to keep addictive substances at bay - not to be one itself. This is very similar to the dispute that cannabis contains the same carcinogens as cigarettes and therefore causes cancer. However it does not cause cancer, because it has anti-carcinogenic and anti-cancer properties within it's chemical compounds that prevent the onset of cancer growth as a result of intake of the carginogens.

In other words: while cannabis does not cause cancer - it cures it (not proven by clinical human trials, but proven in in vivo and in vitro in several cases** (Note bottom). And cannabis does not cause addiction - but it may actually prevent it.

Furthermore, here is a study that aims to show the effects of the endocannabinoid system on addiction. It is speculated, that the endocannibinoidsystem actually controls addiction, and when stimulated, could rid a person of his/hers dependancies of the drug they are addicted to. In other words, Cannabis is a natural medicine for drug addicts, because it is not in itself addictive, but at the same time contains cannabinoids that may help relieve addiction (also see research done on Ibogaine and the endocannabinoid system).

Taken from: http://www.med.muni.cz/biomedjournal...8/01/47_52.pdf

"Conclusion: Thus experimental research on the effects of agents specifically influencing
    the activity of the recently discovered endocannabinoid system in animal models
    of drug dependence, depression, anxiety, and aggressiveness suggests that an
    alteration of the central endocannabinoid system activity might result in changes of
    these neuropsychopathological conditions, and that exogenous manipulation with
    the endocannabinoid system activity could therefore be of pharmacotherapeutical
    benefit."

-------------

Cannabis is not an addictive drug. Period.

16. Weed does not have withdrawal symptoms, but you have to remember, when you're high at least once a day your perception of reality is a little different. With weed, people tend to dream less (hence "vivid dreams" appearing to be a "withdrawal symptom"), feel less pain and not notice illnesses (which is why after you stop some people will feel in pain or ill, while others who are not ill won't.)

Simply put, us stoners forget a lot about the things that bother people from day to day, it's only when we stop for a T-break or to quit temporarily that we remember.

17. you stop using and you feel different then when you didnt use anything at all....

i consider that withdrawl and those withdrawl symtoms. STOP comparing it to other things.

you can say that when i stop using it just my brain getting used to not having cannabis... fuck that for me its withdrawl and marijuana is addicting(again... for ME)

they say that cannabis addicts(or daily users) or the LEAST willing from all drug addicts to give up their habbit , part of the reason being the false perception that its some holy drug with no negativfe side effects.

OP,you are going through withdrawl, others can tell you otherwise but you know the way you;re feeling wouldnt be there if you didnt smoke anything at all.

TO ME AND MANY OTHERS marijuana has withdrawl and is addicting, how can something that people love so much not be addicting?

18. Jesus....

Did you read my post on the other page ? Cannabis is not addictive, it causes no physical or mental withdrawals - not for you, and not for anyone else.

Maybe you have a harder time than others adjusting to the lack of extra cannabinoids in your system - but that does not make you an addict, and it does not sanction you calling it addictive.

I get what you are saying, but that is not the point. The point is that you are sticking a term to Cannabis that has nothing to do with the drug or any of it's effects.

Now if you don't want to agree with me, fine. But then post some god damn evidence to back up your claims, instead of just spewing your personal opinion out as fact.

Thank you.

19. That is OBVIOUSLY a pro-cannibis article and is just about as unbiased as anti-cannbis articles. There are tons of falsehoods in it and I can begin to point them out to you and support them with counter arguments even from CaNormal. Some of thing stated there are just ridiculous.

20. Well fine. Start pointing them out, show me science, show me facts. Don't just claim to facts based on your personal opinion.

All of the information included in post stem from scientific research. And the first research is the Empirical (meaning human clinical trials were included) study on cannabis, which has been backed up by several professors, doctors and scientists. There is nothing pro-cannabis about it, it's an objective study of Cannabis, which concludes the facts that i have posted.

Again - don't just agree if you can prove me wrong. But prove me wrong before you start claiming that it's false.