Am i a dick?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by zac421, Mar 19, 2018.

1. It's best to just not call people out on everything. People don't like their opinions being challenged. Even if it's something like "gotta put a coat on in the cold or you'll get sick", even though it's wrong, you gain nothing by correcting someone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. In short, no, because I'm the same age as yourself and have the same approach to life, people are amazed how I constantly speak my mind, no matter how controversial the topic may be. I get called arrogant, blunt, cold, cruel etc just because I'm not fake and tell someone I don't like them to their face, instead of putting on a fake smile, however in your case, if it bothers you so much how you're perceived by others (at least it seems so), maybe you should try and change your ways. It is YOUR life in the end, so live by whatever personal philosophy you desire.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. A lot of the times its not WHAT you are saying that makes you a dick but its HOW you say it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. People have never shied away from telling me the truth, so I do the same out of mere courtesy. U should do what u feel is best but keep it in balance. And keep in mind u can be wrong about certain things, cause people like us tend to judge 2 much and sometimes the judgement is plainly not true.

5. I did and do the same...learned I just have select amount of people whom I don’t hate. Because people I truly do like I don’t seem to have that issue.
    I am quiet though. I don’t usually talk unless I have to but a easy example
    girl saying “ I feel fat do I look fat “
    My general reply would be
    “ your fine stop looking for attention because no matter how many times you ask it’s not going to make you love yourself, so just accept yourself no o e else will do it for you”
    I’m blunt but also have a kind motive behind it, and at work if someone is being a dumb fuck I’ll be happy to tell them they’re being dumb fucks. I grew up with that kinda atmosphere it’s just how I was taught to deal with things, and if I am being a dumb ass at work I expect the same

6. Haha...nice one

7. Yeah I guess. A lil bit maybe

8. Anyone that has to ask total strangers if they are a dick , then yes you are a dick …………………………………

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Keep in mind that just because you speak your mind it doesn't make you "right". Maybe to you, but not to everyone else. You may win logical arguments but emotions are a huge part of the decisions of a great many people, or visa versa.

Try to read the body language or speech patterns of others and react accordingly. It may seem like "bullshit" but reading people and treating them the way they want to be treated is a huge asset if you can learn to master it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. You'll start running out of energy to challenge everything in your early 30's like everyone else, it's just not worth the time and effort to call everyone on everything. Unless you're like Henry Rollins or something haha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. It's not your job to make other people better humans, if they don't ask.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. But these are not mere humans ,,, there are human assholes and need all the help they can get .
    And that's my story and sticking to it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. If you truly believe that, you would agree that you'd want to use whatever method works best, in terms of how many people actually change their ways because of you, right?

I can tell you right now, if you are coming across as a dick, people are going to automatically resist whatever it is that you have to tell them, even if it actually makes sense.

14. I really don't fully agree with you ,but that's ok because this thread isn't really a big deal to me.
    I was really joking .

Cheers .

15. Grow up...that's what.

Keep your mouth shut most of the time, if someone asks you to evaluate them, then be tactful but most of the time...just keep your opinions to yourself.

Face it...you're very young, you have a lifetime of learning...so learn now from folks who are older and have been there...treat people nicely, don't be the "sheriff of behavior" and listen more than talk.

You will go a lot farther that way and possibly learn more along that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. My point is just that if you usually find yourself commenting to people about their actions, for the purpose of getting them to change their actions, coming across as a dick is going to make them resist. If you can make them like you or at least see your comment as non-confrontational/insulting, they might take it to heart. The same goes for whoever reads this, not just you. The way a message is presented can drastically affect its efficacy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. OP, you are who you are. In other countries or cultures you would gain respect for speaking your mind. But some people will knock the daylights out of you if u say something they don't like or isn't true cause words can cut deeper than knives. As long as you don't meet the wrong person you'll be fine.

18. If you're getting laid a lot it might not be a problem. If most women think your a dick, you're probably a dick. Would you like to meet you out on the street?

19. So what your saying its not ok to call some one a cock sucker , but better to call them breath of many pudd's.
    I think I am catching on ..

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. There you go!

• Winner Winner x 1