Aluminum Foil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 4soccer2playa0, Apr 12, 2009.

1. I had a question about Myler or I think thats what is is called. Is there a big difference bt that and just regular alumiunm foil? Im growing indoors so I was wondering if i needed something special to line the walls and what would happen if I didnt line that walls with anything.

2. Mylar is the choice for many experienced growers as it reflects 100% of light and does so without causing hotspots which may burn your plants. others use tin foil; dull side only mind you. the shiny side can cause hotspots.
    For reflectivity a Matt Bright White paint will also do a good job. and its cheap

3. yeah, stick with mylar if you can (its liek $3 at big5 sporting goods) and you get so much of it.. plus yes, the foil can lead to issues if you dont know what you're doing with it..

BUT if you do use foil, like the guy above me stated, dull side towards plants.. and smooth it out as much as you can after its layed out

4. mylar it more reflective. and this bull shit about aluminium foil causin hot spots is garbage. i think its just a bunch of ppl takin one persons experience and blowin it out of porportion. if u cant find mylar, aluminium foil is fine and it doesnt matter what side either. but thats just my experience

5. Wrong.

It causes hot spots if the light is reflective incorrectly.

Exactly, that's YOUR experience, not the amounts of people with personal/peer experiences. Why would you instruct him to do something wrong only based on your own experience? :confused:

:smoking:

6. i didnt instruct him to do anything. i just told him my thoughts and experience with it.

7. foil isn't fine.

and if you HAVE to use foil, YES the side matters, shiny side away.

8. how can a crinkled up piece of aluminum foil cause hot spots? so u know how hard it is to focus a ray of light to burn something? i doubt that the aluminum foils is gonna do it. and if ur gonna use the foil put the shinny side towards the plant because it more reflective. dagettii is a douche

9. what a dummy

"Many people get tin foil and line their grow area
    with it. This is NOT a good idea as it causes hotspots." Ed Rosenthal, Closet Cultivator

"line the walls with Mylar or tin foil. If you choose to use tin foil use it dull side out to diffuse light and prevent hotspots" Nirvarna Growing Guide , 2007

The hotspots are caused by the fact that tin foil has no tensile strength and thus is never perfectally flat. even the smallest imperfection can cause a hot spot anywhere in the grow room. these may or may not be on your plant. if they are your plants get burnt. if they aint your fine. the dull side is used over shinny side as it allows a more even dispersal of light. even with the dull side you can get hotspots. it is just less likely.

10. #10 Budbaron, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
    re: godsgift 1217 or whatever

godsgift has not ever completed an indoor grow. on the 20-02-2009 he posted this in the absolute beginners forum:

02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
    first timer is my set up ok
    so i got a 8in pot for my plant 2 100w cfl daylights 4 100w cfl soft whites. im hangin the daylights at like 45 degrees down on the top of the plant on both sides and im using the soft whites for side lighting. i bought some expert gardner perfect mix all purpose potting soil. im not build a grow box or anything i just gonna grow in a spare bed room is that cool? or am i doin something wrong

he posted later saying
    03-20-2009, 02:18 PM
    . ive been growing outside in my sunflower patch for a couple years and this year i decide to try and in door grow im at 3 weeks today and i was just wondering whats the average veg time for indoors or is it just a personal preference

he didnt even know how long to veg a plant indoors. so how he thinks he has experience is beyond me lol.
    +rep dagetti respect

11. tin foil and aluminum foil is 2 different things jackass. ive been using aluminum my whole grow and no problems i was just lettin him know that.

12. #12 Budbaron, Apr 12, 2009
    tin foil and aluminium foil mean the same thing these days godsgift.

tin foil was superceeded by aluninium foil last centuary. is the only thing you could point out the difference between tin and aluminium. in the uk it is never called aluminium foil.

"Tin foil" is almost always actually aluminium, whereas "tin cans" made for the storage of food products are made from steel plated in a thin layer of tin. In both cases, tin was the original metal.

i just wanna say muppit lol. sorry look at the avitar

13. arguing about this is pointless.you do what you do and ill do what i do. i was simply sayin if he doesnt have mylar, aluminum foil has worked fine for me.

14. look godsgift. we were asked a question:

"I had a question about Myler or I think thats what is is called. Is there a big difference bt that and just regular alumiunm foil?"

and i said

"Mylar is the choice for many experienced growers as it reflects 100% of light and does so without causing hotspots which may burn your plants. others use tin foil; dull side only mind you. the shiny side can cause hotspots.
    For reflectivity a Matt Bright White paint will also do a good job. and its cheap"

then Dagetti said

"yeah, stick with mylar if you can (its liek $3 at big5 sporting goods) and you get so much of it.. plus yes, the foil can lead to issues if you dont know what you're doing with it..

BUT if you do use foil, like the guy above me stated, dull side towards plants.. and smooth it out as much as you can after its layed out"

we both said foil is fine with precautions and you then said:

"mylar it more reflective. and this bull shit about aluminium foil causin hot spots is garbage. i think its just a bunch of ppl takin one persons experience and blowin it out of porportion. if u cant find mylar, aluminium foil is fine and it doesnt matter what side either. but thats just my experience"

which is confrontational no?

then you just said:

"i was simply sayin if he doesnt have mylar, aluminum foil has worked fine for me."

well so did we didn't we. we said foil was fine with precautions. we never said no no no dont use foil.

15. no it wasnt confrontational i was just sayin that i think that aluminum foil causing hot spots is bogus. if u thought it was i apologize. i was just stating my opinion thats all

16. ok godsgift peace

17. #17 cantharis, Apr 12, 2009
    Nobody has made tinfoil for years.
    Aluminium foil is, however, highly reflective, that is why the mirror of my telescope is aluminised. It is also widely available and cheap, a lot cheaper than mylar, so is an EXCELLENT material for lining your grow box.

This myth about hotspots is exactly that.
    If I were to take the precisely ground and polished paraboloid mirror from my Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope, and position it at its focal length from a plant I might, with a lot of trying, be able to focus the heat rays from a lamp onto the plant and create a hotspot.

No way is a bit of crinkled aluminium foil going to do that - it will just reflect light and heat rays in random directions - just what we want.

So will all the noobs stop warning about something that they have never experienced - because it doesn´t happen!

Use aluminium foil with confidence, as recommended by godsgift - he is right, it works well.

18. okay let me say use foil placed on card board or skool folders hang em up and chill homies.

Just don't wrap it like a christmas tree trying to be charlie brown then 'hot spot' will burn
    your pland and maybe even spark your place in flames LOL

and fo who ever said muffit FUNNY I HAD TEARS

19. #19 cantharis, Apr 12, 2009

You obviously haven´t read my post #17 . Or at least have taken no notice of it, still promulgating nonsense.
    I reiterate - no way is any crinkled up aluminium foil going to be able to bring any light (heat) rays to a focus.

20. Aluminum foil is less reflective of light than either flat bright white paint or mylar, that's all. Do not consider 'space blankets' in this same category, they allow light to pass through so can't be reflecting that much.

Aluminum itself can be highly reflective, depending on its quality and how it is rolled, finished, polished, etc. In fact, mylar is essentially a polymer that is electrostatically coated with aluminum. And as cantharis has pointed out before, some high-quality telescope mirrors are aluminum coated. It's just that foil is manufactured to reflect and trap heat, not light. And we humans don't experience light directly, we perceive light, so what may look shiny and "bright" to our eyes does not necessaarily mean it is reflecting a lot of light.