Alto Sax Bong - need help

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by thesilverbandit, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Now that I have a professional saxophone, I have basically no use for my old one. My friends and I are dead-set on making a saxophone water bong. Keep in mind that I'm not necessarily looking for an effective, smooth-hitting bong (but it'd be nice :D), but I'm looking for a legendary novelty bong. After our brainstorm, we came up with this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're going to attempt to seal (nearly) all of the keys shut in a non-visible way, and fill the bottom up with water. Yes, this will ruin the saxophone. Oh well. :) We just don't know what adhesive would be best.

The bowl will be in the bell, and we're thinking about leaving a few keys unsealed for a carb (though a slider isn't out of the question). Not sure how exactly to seal off the bell either.

We will either smoke it as a fully-assembled saxophone sans reed, or we will remove the mouthpiece and smoke directly through the neck.

Other, less-important aspects:
    We want to retain the ability to separate the neck from the body of the sax so that we can make the neck into a pipe.

We also would like to coat the metal somehow to prevent rust and corrosion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are going balls-out on this no matter what. No amount of work is too great; we'll weld or superglue anything. We just need insight and ideas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ^^hahahahahaha

3. sick idea man. totally pictured what you're tryina make n shit..

would be cool if for the carb, you could make some key open the valve nearest the bowl. and then keep the spit valve to empty the water, or make one of the big valves near the bottom a dump so it doesn't clog with ash n shit.

+rep if that means anything lolidk wtf rep is

4. Honestly I think you would be better off selling the sax...it looks like its in good working condition. Imo it's not worth ruining an instrument just to smoke out of it.

5. money money money

6. Exactly, buy a better bong, or something less expensive to make a novelty bong out of.

7. But that's not the point! :) It's a project. My friends and I think it's a super badass idea, and memories are worth more than a few benjamins.

I'm not a spoiled rich kid (far from it), I just really wanna make my own sax bong. I'll be able to look back on this when I'm forty and say, "Damn, I was awesome."

8. what I was tryin to say

9. How much is that thing worth? Most instruments, even relatively low end ones, run a few thousand dollars. Pretty stupid to ruin it, if it's worth that kind of money.

10. Not in this economy!:laughing:

11. This seems like a great idea, don't let anyone convince you that making a few bucks is more important than a kickass story twenty years down the road.

I was in percussion, so I'm not too familiar with a sax, but my advice is to go to someone who knows saxes well rather than someone who knows a ton about bongs.

And a humble piece of advice- a french horn mouthpiece has the size hole you'd need for a decent push, and would really look sweet in a sax-bong.

12. I'm an instrument enthusiast...I couldn't dare see even a low end instrument go to waste like that, even if you got a better one :\

13. My mom got it for me for beginning band waaay back in 6th grade for about $1500. It's a York.

It looks as if it's in decent shape, yes, and I could probably trick some poor sap into buying it. Truth is, it's a piece of shit. My school had an old Yamaha gathering dust in the back that played better than my own, and I *ahem* unofficially traded it for my four years of high school. Now that I'm out, I'm stuck with the shitophone. That is, until I got my pro model.

The cork is cracked and needs repair, and some of the keys stick. The pads on the right hand keys tend to fall out. I'd have to invest money in it to put it on any market. Even then, it's a used beginner-range instrument that's hard to play on when it's at its best.

I can use its upkept appearance to my advantage. As a bong. :D

14. My three friends all smoke and play sax, but we are amateur handymen; we may fuck it up beyond repair if we just fire up the blowtorch and chainsaw without doing research and getting consultation. We also don't want to jeopardize our humble (American) reputations by telling our sax-playing band director that we wanna turn an old sax into a bong.

Hell yeah. I need a gold one to fit with the color scheme of the sax.

15. The only problem is you will not be able to use it for a long time and the inside will corrode...i made a bong with my old trombone and the inside now is all blue and nasty

16. You'll want to change the pads to something a little more water resistant, and smoke-contact-proof; say, rubber?

17. My friends and I threw around an idea: what if we coated the inside of the sax (after it was sealed) with wax? Someone mentioned something about a fondue pot and pouring hot wax inside it and letting it attach to the inner walls of the sax in hopes that it would protect the metal from corrosion.

Sounds far fetched to me, but what do I know? Is that feasible?

If we don't end up coating the inside with anything, this could work too. Changing out the pads would require measuring out new round bits of rubber and gluing them to the pads' old home (right?). There's a million ways we could fuck that up, but I'll be damned if we don't try.

18. wax melts, try again.

19. Do you have an idea? Is there an easily acquirable synthetic substance we could use instead? :/