Alternatives to Prison.

Discussion in 'General' started by Nash92, Jan 23, 2013.

1. We need to look into alternate methods when dealing with crime.

Prison gives a false sense of security through locking someone up, and change is never made. Prison should be a last resort, for those who have committed an act so HEINOUS it warrants such action, similar to tribes that ostracized members for said actions.

So many behind bars are innocent of "criminal" offense, or could be dealt with through education or rehabilitation. It's time we stopped putting money into the pockets of private for profit companies and major corporations, and started upholding the idea of freedom and unity on a worldwide scale.

2. idk man. i spent a year in the joint at 20yrs old. was the best thing that could of happen to me! makes me think about the reactions to every single one of my actions now. not always a bad thing.

3. In SA they call prison Criminal college.
    Go in for weed, come out with a whole new set of skills and a criminal record (making getting a real job that much harder in a society where 43% of the population is unemployed).

Rehabs in their current form don't work either.
    Archaic methods and a ton of misinformation combined with putting weed smokers next to tik/meth heads.
    Now there is a stepping stone for you to harder drugs.

4. You were very lucky it was in a 1'st world prison.
    Here it's but rape and you are lucky to get out alive (not been myself, but a friend has, due to nearly being stabbed to death and getting put into prison hospital for the remainder of his sentence he got off "lightly").

5. I agree about the rehab. I got a dui and had to go to those classes, 90% of the people in them were crack heads or tweakers. And they all talked about Howe many times they have had to take them before. I wanted to tell the judge that apparently it isn't working.

6. Where is here?

7. South Africa

8. I have to disagree with this. The city I live in has a serious overpopulation of our jail. So people who commit minor crimes like theft,disorderly conduct and even car jackings get booked and released the same day. Some get mandatory classes and probation

Since we started doing that they have just started repeating the offenses since they know they aren't going to get any hard time. Citizens started criticizing this because a man who got arrested I think 4 or 5 times in two weeks for stealing cars ended up killing his pregnant GF after being released from jail again because of the overpopulation.

He was on probation and accepted all those classes and stuff offered to him but it didn't change his ways at all since he knew he wasn't getting hard time.

9. Having private owned prisons is bullshit, it should not be an industry.

10. How much do you think the prison population would be if soft drugs were legal and harder drugs were decriminalised?
    Personally think that is the only solution here.
    Breaking the taboo pretty much sums up my POV on this.

11. #11 Nash92, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
    Address and resolve the underlying problems of that individual in what caused them to do what they did. Probation and classes obviously didn't touch on the specific issues this person was having. We are all human beings, and most experience various struggles in life that need to be taken into account when analyzing crime, so to prevent it from reoccurring in the subjected individuals.

It should really be a stepping stone process. First offense is probation and counseling, which leads to work release, which leads to boot-camp, etc.

Of course there will be some people who are mentally unstable and cannot properly function unless being constantly monitored, but that should be a last resort situation. The majority of people don't want their lives ruined by a label, and making adjustments could get to the root the problem instead of lumping everyone into one category no matter the reasoning, which has lead to overpopulating of these facilities.

When thinking of crime, we need to think of the overall impact its had on society as a whole. Decriminalizing all drugs for example, would also help get to the root of real issues society faces.

12. couldn't agree more amigo. prison is not working and in fact increases crime by a high percentage in most cases, think about someone going in and never being able to find work nor turn their lie around. we must begin to realize that these people we deem criminals need help, not more bull shit to make them worse. sure there are criminally insane people that will need constant monitoring for life, but that doesn't mean we should torture them till death, that's a sure sign of a sick society far worse of a problem then any group of people.

you won't find any saints out there, just average people that break these useless laws everyday and most don't get caught, but we all do it now and then whether it's J walking or swiping a candy bar because you're starving it still remains part of who we all are. when we all begin to realize we are all in this together and quit looking at each other like we are separate, then perhaps we can get some real good things done as a society.

13. wouldn't not going to prison have been a better thing?

14. My thoughts precisely.

Ive done quite a bit of time behind bars and i would never say its the best thing that happened to me.

All it did was break me down and turn me into an animal if anything.

Sure it helped me curb my problems after 2 or 3 times in that place.. but its hit or miss. Either it will help you or it will make you worse, way worse.

15. Why, so he can continue down his bad path? You dont understand why people get put in jail do you?...

16. People get put in jail because hundred year old laws that arent up to date supply our county, state, and federal jails, prisons, and courts bring in money.

40% of the prisons in the U.S. are private companies that run them for a profit.

If you HAVE to go to jail to fix your issues, to change your path, you'll never be fixed. Prison is a crime school, not a criminal rehabilitation as its supposed to be.

17. sorry dude, but revisitation rate is far higher. not always due to the individual either. Once your on paper, you can basically be taken back in for coughing, farting, or wreckless eyeballin'. system is defiantly fucked up. but it surly brought alot into perspective. being shipped 5 hours away from my wife and kids. was a shitty place but as i said, it always makes me think of the reactions to my actions now.

18. I just read a book called fish by tj parsel and in it he talks about the brutal gang rapes he endured from stronger inmates when he got sent to jail at age 17 for robbing a photomart with a toy gun. Steps need to be taken to prevent prison rape. Its horrible, you can be traded for a pack of ciggerettes, forced into sexual slavery. Another thing, most of the people in prison are there on non-violent drug possession charges. They should deal with addicts and the dealers giving them hard drugs differently. Check out prisons in norway they seem a lot more progressive and humane than american prisons.