Alternative to Mylar?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Parkoursome, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Here's a close up of this stuff I found at the auto parts place... Really expensive about 20 bucks for a 12x24 inch sheet, it's used as a heat shield and its made out of this reflective fiber... I was thinking it might be good enough for the inside of my tent... But I'm a little afraid of hot spots or something like that, what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. I know nothing about growing or how to set up a grow room but I do know that emergency space blankets are made of Mylar- 3$ for 56"x84" sheet. Maybe cut and glue to cardboard for stability?

3. Damn that does sound perfect, what is it about Mylar that doesn't make hot spots? As compared to like foil?

4. Sorry man, like I said I don't know anything about that stuff. Maybe someone else can help you out with that.

5. Well I appreciate just getting a solid number , that was hard to find, just shopping for Mylar is kind of weird I didn't even know where to look

6. You could look into this stuff called Diamond Foil, it's like super-mylar, and it's cheaper than that big ass piece of metal you posted a pic of.

7. Wal mart has emergency (space) blankets, in the camping section. It's what i use. It works great. As mentioned above, they are only a few bucks. If you spent 35 bucks you'd have enough to do a very large grow room. I set my room up (3x2x3) with one and a half of them, and I did all walls, plus floor. 36 square feet total. Cost 7 bucks.

8. I know it looks like metal... But it has the consistency of duck tape, but about twice as thick , totally over the top for what I'm using I for has like heat resistance over 500f• lol

9. Now that sounds like a plan to me!

10. Or Mylar wrapping paper. Usually about 3-5 bucks a roll. Get it at a lot of local stores, or online.