alternative to HLG's quantom boards... the supplier!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Reo, Dec 14, 2017.

1. meter is $20 and can save your plants, but you should read the later posts by me in the HLG 96 elite thread I posted. I will also be posting on light distribution once my kit is assembled (after I receive heat sinks which are being built atm).
    The problem I see is that 260s are square, so how are you planning to evenly distribute 3 squares in a 5x5 space? I 'd like to see a drawing. Lets assume you have them properly distributed, then if its just price, both Meiju and KingBrite are reputable. Are they using LM301bs or LM561c? I don't think there's much a difference, but the newer version is the better way to go...although factor in money.
    Maybe just a few independent 288/304s to supplement the corners might be a better way to position/evenly distribute light. I would think 4x elite boards at either ends would work; although they are different than your current system, they offer some variance in the spectra (and probably could light the entire room on their own). Remember that any of those lights can be run at lower power (via dimmer) and are more efficient when they are being driven that way.

*edit_ also, 4ala2sk0a is right, four boards, end of story; light is properly distributed, order from KingBrite (or meiju) and try to get a further discount for buying multiples.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Btw anyone in canada. Where are you getting your par readers? Are you ordering off rapidled and building one with multimeter?

3. If I bought 4 hlg elites from the site all I would need after is a driver correct? And how do I hang them individually in corners? Cant get an idea of how the heatsink looks on those pics

4. If I bought 4 hlg elites from the site all I would need after is a driver correct? And how do I hang them individually in corners? Cant get an idea of how the heatsink looks on those pics

the thread man.. the thread I linked. They are on it!

"a driver"
    multiple drivers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #665 4ala2sk0a, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Whoa

• Like Like x 2
  6. How much you want for one of those? I would have maybe bought some off you but I didn't know you had them.

Sk420grow take note! This might be the way for you to go.

no such thing!

Lettuce growing possibly compares to cannabis seedlings light requirements. What's next, the Kratky Method? heh heh

It looks like a nice light. Btw, I have contracted out a heatsink manufacturer that is creating the proper heatsinks for my hinflux build; do you want me to hook you up with em?

7. #667 4ala2sk0a, Oct 20, 2018
    Dp

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. #668 4ala2sk0a, Oct 20, 2018
    Dp

9. yo 4ala2sk0a,

I haven't posted the project yet. I will maybe tonight I suppose, I was just waiting for the heatsinks. I didn't want to recommend until I actually received them, but the guy insists to do his job right (ie. I was going to use thermoconductive epoxy and glue them so told him just forget the holes, and he said no to do that because if even one diode burns out and wrecks the board, I will also lose the heatsink). He is making them up and adding some length so that I have holes to hang the modules. Here is the company. Speak with 'Spin'. I've attached the schematics to this post as a pdf file.

I will writeup the project and post the link soon.

Attached Files:

10. Ha, check this guy out:

11. On the heatsinks... still not here. They have opened an investigation ... ugh.

But I wanted to post my experience dealing with AliBaba over the matter. I ordered the heatsinks a while back and everything went ok with ordering, until UPS fudged it up.
    I then received a notification from AB that 'since we have not heard back from you we will consider that everything in the Trade Assurance is good and we will consider this sale complete'; I immediately applied for a refund since I did not receive the parcel. I got a couple of calls from UPS (special crime unit?) who simply asked if I had received the heatsinks, and since then have been refunded from AB.

So its not really AB's fault, well... maybe they made a mistake printing my address? idk idc. What is important is that the Trade Assurance is respected, but make sure you respond if something ain't right.

Furthermore, the shipper told me that the UPS will one day come thru, and that I should just keep the heatsinks for free because returning them will just be more hassle. How's that for customer service. I think they get reimbursed automatically from UPS; I asked them and they said don't worry about it.

• Like Like x 4
  12. so whats the word these days on the best board samsung has to offer? qb120 etc.. which board outputs the most/best light so far this year?

or even better... has anyone sourced individual surface mount samsung LEDs (the ones they use on the QB's)? i have incredible ideas for custom growboxes but i'd need individual LEDs

13. You can buy strips made by Samsung, also think LM301H diodes might be something to look into.
    Now there is Opulent Americas that makes smaller boards.
    You can have several companies make you custom boards, or you can design them yourself and solder them in (see video above).
    Here's a playlist I've been adding to.
    There's the Epitex diodes arriving today (so says UPS) that cost me WAY TOO MUCH, but I will be gettting 10 of each 680, 690, and 700nm diodes. After reviewing the docs, I think I will need to have a PCB created. I can ask R2T, but there are many others that will reflow a few strips for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. oh man all of this is so exciting! i LOVE stuff like this! yes! lets build some dank SMT stuff!! I have ALWAYS wanted to build a 360degree grow box, light from EVERY angle, literally. with airflow slots between the rows of LED's for even spread of light with 0 gaps whatsoever. i have always truly wondered what kind of plant i could manage with that kind of a light source and hydroponics.

15. efficiency electricity usage wise is not my main concern... but having this kind of grow box is just something ive always wanted to see what it could produce

16. Finally got around to writing up the strip build. Sorry it took so long, but I actually just finished the build this morning... after accepting that no heatsink will ever arrive...

Official Samsung diodes. Comparable to an HLG 288 build. Most expensive part is the driver, so much cheaper if you AliB those.

17. Woo! 20 x 60w boards are on their way with drivers. hopefully within a week I will have them and get a build done. I'll get pics and specs up as soon as I get them and then will get room specs up and I will more than likely need a hand with spacing from those who have done this already. Hint hint Tboneshuffle and others ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. What boards did you get?

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1