alternative to HLG's quantom boards... the supplier!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Reo, Dec 14, 2017.

1. #541 Reo, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    @imthatmotm

Bro it's simple math as to why it won't work. when having things in series you add up the voltages. using 6 cobs requires 216v

Each cob needs 36v, 4 in series is 144v the driver can only supply 153v anything past that won't turn on.

When wiring in parallel the voltage stays the same but amperage is then added up. So 4 cobs in parellel using say 1.05amp would add up to 4.2 amp.

With quantum boards wiring in parallel they are okay from what I hear. But wiring cobs in parallel can be risky because of there energy density. Thermal run away applies to all leds. Thermal run away is when the led heats up it draws more amperage. Increasing wattage increasing heat increasing amperage and the cycle repeats until the led burns out.

Looking at it in a parallel aspect say you have two cobs each cob needs 36v 2 amp to run. Hooking them in parallel youd still be applying 36v but amperage would then be 4 amps. If one cob had more resistance then the other one. the higher resistance would heat up and pull more amperage robbing it from the other led. Eventually it pulls all the amperage until It reaches equilibrium or draws too much and blows dumping all the amperage on the other causing it to blow as well.

I seen a little diode or amperage limiter( looks like a see through diode) long time ago when I was starting out with cobs that. It keeps the differentials in check

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. hi , ive now been given a price for this Hydroponics Hlg 550 V2 Quantum Board 288 480w Grow Tent Light Full Kit With Lm561c Lm301b - Buy Lm301b,Quantum Board,Hlg V2 550 Product on Alibaba.com
    The full kit FOMEX-480-288-4 contains 4pcs 288 lm301b pcb boards,1pc HLG-480H-48B Meanwell driver,1pc black heat sink,1pc dimmer,2pcs plug wires,hanging wires and all other accessories,pls see attached photoes

price is $367/set,how do you think?
    is this the average price for this or is it a good price , appreciate replies.

3. Does that include all the shipping and Alibaba fees?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. thanks for reply ...aaahhhhh i didn`t realise alibaba charges fees,
    i mailed her to ask if it includes shipping, i thought it was a decent price .....then the add ons
    thanks

5. Compared to almost 1000 buck US Ya, but as flexed dab said there are fees. If they coral you to PayPal then PayPal takes a percentage of 5%, and a currency fee too I think., Then there is shipping. It's either dhl or ups and starts at 40 bucks something like that is I guess around 65 75 bucks or more in shipping but should have it in 3 to 5 days in North America.
    Then import taxes at the boarder of your country. Sometimes you can ask if they can mark the price down on the shipping document, sometimes they do it without asking and other times the inspectors are bored and look up the retail price and bill accordingly.

They are pretty good on estimating everything.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shipping for me was like $150 for the dual 800. I'm going to be placing an order for another dual 800 and single 800.

• Like Like x 1
  7. my shipping quote has come back ........more than i expected . so a total of $519 then i may have customs charges into the uk. i think i will pass on china and go for a strip light from https://www.diyleduk.co.uk/ledlighting .
    or maybe diy to save some money.
    You are welcome,shipping will take around 4 days,shipping cost is $138,not included in the price
    Alibaba charge is $14.65,not included in the price as well,thks!

8. Eh budy welcome back

9. My kits are supposed to be here on Tuesday according to DHL.

The 2 kits came out to $460 with the shipping and the Alibaba currency conversion fees. The same kits would have been $660 for a pair from HLG or one of their official resellers. Definitely a decent savings there since I was OK with assembling my own anyway to save money. It let me get two new lights right away to fill my 4x4 tent.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm really not feeling these dimmer units, would a 100K pot be sufficient for a 600H mean well driver?

11. Ordered another 3 800's , 1 double 800 and single 800. will bring my grow tent to a total of 5 of these boards. They suggest a spacing of around 20cm between each board. But I'll most likely shave about 5cm and do them 15 cm apart.

12. Got my box yesterday and everything looks good so far. I still need to wire it all up for testing though and I was too tired to tackle to project. The boards came attached to the heatsinks already, but everything else you have to wire up yourself. They are heavier than I expected with the heatsinks, but not too bad. So far so good.

13. Hey man, (OR ANYONE ELSE) I have a budget of about 500$ or cheaper and 4 plants in a 4x4 space. Wondering what lights are perfect for my situation (alibaba, etc).. Thank you.

14. #555 Smokey B McBongwater, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    8 QB132's driven by 2 HLG-320H-2100 or 2 LRS-350-36 would give you a full 600watts actual and fill a 4x4 perfect. I have half of this - 4x qb132 with an LRS-350-36 in a 2x4

8x qb132 = 266.00
    2x lrs-350-36 = 70.00
    assorted wires, connectors, hangers = $25.00
    total = $361
    or

8x qb132 = 266.00
    2x hlg-320h-2100 - 180.00
    wires, etc = 25.00
    total = $471.00

the qb132's run cool enough that they don't even need heatsinks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Assembled my boards and everything is working except that when the dimmer is in the "off" position the light is still on though at the lowest power. Is that normal behavior?

The assembly wasn't too bad, but the instructions from Sanez here on the forum were much better than the ones from Meiju. That thread and this one were super helpful in me getting these lights ordered and wired up. Tutorial for 240W qb304 kit from Alibaba -> Canada

I placed the order with Meiju on 8/14, my lights shipped out 8/17 and I got them here in the US on 10/20. They shipping was pricey but I can not complain about the turnaround and delivery time.

16. Ask meijiu sells 304, 288 and 312 for 25 a piece on average. It will be about 60 in shipping for 10. The 312s are 36V and have dual spectrum options available.
    A HLG-600H-36 is roughly $200ish depending on some stuff.
    So ten boards for 250 plus 50 shipping. Add 200 for you power supply. 500 bucks? Just a thought estimate.

17. Those who are interested here are some close up shots of the diodes on my boards, complete lack of the black dot. Best i could do my lens, macro is broken, but i used a handle held microscope as well.

Attached Files:

18. Turn the dimmer right down to where it kinda clicks, then it should turn off. If it doesn't its wired incorrectly.

19. #560 Growaway617, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Hmm, OK. I do hear it click and the red light comes on when I turn it all the way down but the boards are still on at very low power. When I turn it on and off using the remote it just toggles the red light on and off on the dimmer, but the boards never shut off.

I must have wired it wrong, but I have double checked all of the connections on the dimmer against the pictures from Meiju and the instructions from a thread here on the forum. Everything looks good, but it is still not working.