alternative to HLG's quantom boards... the supplier!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Reo, Dec 14, 2017.

1. my 800 boards each use a HLG-320H-48B driver.
    *I figure that 600W driver would be enough for two 800 boards like the site shows.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly - they wouldn't turn on at all?

Damn I was hoping I could just run em cold as heck.

3. Hey man, they should work, but you really just need to try, and you should also measure the results with a lux meter.

I think running them at 1/2 capacity like you are planning, given the amount of boards that you have, you might be golden. I would not turn my lights all the way up when the plants get too close; I've already learned the hard way.

I didn't finish a full analysis yet, but I did already share some results I got from measuring lumens in a 2x4 tent with one 800 board hanging in the middle. I'll repost the results for you here. What you want to see in the color charts is amber; red is bad (too much!); light yellow is bad too (not enough, kinda). Remember, this is only the measurements for one 800 board in a 2x4 that has an open door (bottom readings, ie. are lower than top).
    upload_2018-8-16_23-17-49.png
    upload_2018-8-16_23-18-56.png
    Also, some 304 board readings:
    upload_2018-8-16_23-20-55.png
    In addition to these results;
    I placed both 800 boards together (very tight in a 2x4) and am now running them at 50% (like you intend to do). I think the plant is ~18" from light atm (she's sleeping atm), and has 40,000 lumens in the center (red area in chart above). The lighting is distributed much more evenly now that I use two boards in one tent, although its still hot (ie. too bright) where the board meet up, and should be separated.
    40K lumens is (way) enough for veg, but not really for bloom. But the plants will get taller, so as you can see in the last chart (304 board), just a 2" difference in distance can lead to a 20K difference in lumens.

I can take some measurements tomorrow, but no promises as I need to prepare for a 2 week hiatus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh guys not sure if people knew but id recomend hitting the boards and diy heat sinks with a fine grit sand paper.

I assembled my light yesterday and the boards weren't sitting flush. Talking a thousadths of a inch. The slightest Nick or shaving could cause a significant air gap.

5. Each 288 board is about 52v running in series( add each voltage together but amperage stays the same) your 4 boards equals 208v the hlg 320c2100 is aprox max 153v itll go a bit higher but not 208 v high.

You could do 6 288 boards on that hlg 320 c2100 by running 3 in series by 3 in parallel. But it might be risky as the hotter the board gets the more amps it draws( thermal run away) but if the driver is maxed out it will be limited and should be safe. The driver gets up to 360+ watts of output divided by 6 would be 60 watts a board. They'd be stone cold as they can take up to 70-75 watts before they need a heat sink.

And that's my knowledge. I've also built two 4 cob vero 29 lights using that hlg 320 c2100a

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate it.

I'd hoped I could pull some parallel wiring trickery to make it work with my existing wires. Back to the drawing board I suppose.

7. well, dammit, now you got me all curious!
    I should go do that light chart downstairs already for GC community...

8. :)

Basically I have:
    • 12 Vero29-D's
    • 4 800pcs PCB
    • 4 QB288 V1s
    • 1 HLG320H-c2100b
    • 1 HLG600h54B
    This is what I was hoping to do:

From what I've read it here it sounds like 0% of that diagram is feasible. What would y'all do in my shoes? I just want to see these 800s in action without wasting my existing equipment :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  9. duplicate oops!

10. dude, that's a serious amount of lighting! Remember not to overdo it lol.
    The 800s rock, just wish they were a little longer, but again, placing them too close together may create 'hot (lumen) spots'.

*can't you contact a sales rep over at Meizu and ask them what will happen if you wire them all together or if you can? please let us know what happens !

11. #531 imthatmotm, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Good point about overdoing it. I really just wanted to run em all cold and as efficient as possible. So:

150 watts / 800
    75 watts / QB288
    50 watts / vero29

I'm going to reach out and ask them about wiring the 600h54B to 4x800s, but the rest wasn't bought from them.

Vero29's are from Rapid. QB288s from HLG.

Once I get the details ironed out and the frame built I'll be sure to post back.

Update:

I've been informed by rapid that the HLG-320H-C2100B can't handle more than 4 cobs in any configuration.

12. @imthatmotm

Eh man flowering wattage you want about 30 to 40 watts a square foot. What I see there is a potential plant burner ran at full wattage. That 5x5 would need between 750 and 1000watts of led.

( based on 900 watts/ 36 watts square foot) Running two 4 cob lights at 200 watts (400w) then hooking up those 4 800pc boards up for 120 watts a piece would net you 900 watts. Throwing in the 3rd cob light and everything can be ran a little bit lower.

As for compatibility what specs are the 800pc boards? Voltage an current and the specs of the 600hb driver? Voltage current. I know the 304pc versions cant be wired more then 2 in series based on how they're wired internally. So I'm not to sure on the 800pc boards

I don't see no other way unless you can hook up some pc fans to mitigate the heat a little better.

• Like Like x 1
  13. @Tbone shuffle is ur guy to talk to hes a good dude n knows his shit seriously

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. @Tbone shuffle is ur guy to talk to hes a good dude n knows his shit seriously

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. @Tbone Shuffle

16. I think he's planning on running them at 50% guys... which is a better way to go imo. i don't think he would overdo it if its run at 50%, and instead try to achieve perfect uniform lumens :passtheshit:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. #537 imthatmotm, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018

I know I'm pushing the envelope here. I'd be happy with 1kW in the flower tent, but I'm trying to make the most of my equipment on hand.

So the idea was:

2 sets of HLG320H-c2100b -> 6 Vero29s in parallel, so 12 veros and 2 hlg320s
    (was just told by rapidled that I can't do this, but I still don't understand why)

HLG600h-54B -> 4 x 800pc boards in parallel
    (still waiting on meijiu to respond to find out if this is possible)

HLG320H-c2100b -> 4 x QB288 in parallel
    (still waiting on HLG to reply, but I'm not holding my breath)

Yup! I've got enough wattage between these drivers to cover my 2 tents, all I'm trying to do is increase the efficiency and light dispersal.

Specs on the 800:

Specs:
    -48V
    -3A - 6.5A
    -3.0/W conductivity
    -129-372W
    -Size: 900 x 280 x 2.0 mm

18. Just ordered an HLG-600H-48A fo the 4 800 boards. I'll wire those in parallel and leave everything else as-is. Please tell me I didn't fuck up lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. You couldn't fuck that up. If it doesn't work, it will be for lack of power (although idk about that thermal runoff business), and won't light up the boards at all, or do so in a very dim manner. Therefore you will need to use two boards with the driver as advised, meaning you still need the driver, and another to boot.

20. Thanks man I'll be sure to post an update.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app