alternative to HLG's quantom boards... the supplier!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Reo, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Get a reptile bulb, UV LEDs are highly lacking, and for uvb diodes will cost a couple hundred bucks, as opposed to a 15$ UV bulb

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. In theory yes; but you may as well go find a old 220 electric dryer and cut the end off if you dont want to buy a cord. As Trojan said, the right guage wire would be smart. In theory 12 guage wire should be plenty. But I am not sure what electrical codes are on that.

3. 10g wire and lower depending on application

4. With wire rated for 90°, 14 awg is good for 25 amps, 12 awg is good for 30 and 10 awg is good for 40. 120v uses a hot (black) and a neutral (neutral) plus a bond. The hot and neutral are the same gauge. 220v uses 2 hots and a bond. So yes you can use the extension cord for 220v. At 220v your amp demand will be cut in half and you will not be taxing the extension cable as much.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. So in the 220v cords it's simply 3 lines not hot, hot, neutral, ground? Just the same as 110v cords w 3 wires? So if I just use my 110 cords I can just swap the ends to the socket I need? Just trying to be clear for my own sake thank you sir

6. 240v can be run on 3 wires. you just don't have a neutral... or your neutral would then be hot 2.

hot 1 black, hot 2 white, ground.

7. Yes. 220v is 2 hots and a bond, with a total of 3 wires. 120v is 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 bond with a total of 3 wires. You can use the extension cords you are using for 120v for 220v. You will just use the white/neutral as a hot/black. The amp demand will be half of 120v so the cords can easily handle it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey guys, I just wanted to call out on my progress with 800s and since I didn't start a journal, I will mark it down here.

So I cut one plant down. The plant had stretched quite a bit, but suddenly stressed out and lost her viability. The issue I was having is that I did not have enough ventilation by using the one fan for both tents. Discovered it when I opened the tent and it was pissing wet inside with a gush of sauna air. Nevertheless, she still yielded ~1/2lb of tops and another ~1lb or larf. I may just hold on to it all and convert it to honey.

The other plant is pretty happy, but I still have a low ph issue with her. I been feeding in ~pH 7.0 with lucas + silica. I think a lot of the damage is actually on the top spoilers and is because of light bleaching (?) idk, if someone does please chime in. I fed her yesterday (3gal to waste) but I think I should start flushing ... oh dammit, I will start tomorrow and let this girl go late.

The point is that the 800s work and they work good. I dimmed the 800 down for the shots.
    DSCF1946.JPG DSCF1947.JPG DSCF1948.JPG

The 304s I have are looking after some seedlings. I think one of them will die (is dead). Strange how you can treat a seedling exactly the same, yet one of them just hates it... go figure.
    DSCF1950.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  9. Today, I harvested my (second) plant under the 800 model PCB light that I purchased (earlier in this thread). Quite an experience with the peat, and the light, and I think I (light) burned her earlier on. I clocked back the light to ~75% during the last few days. I got the pH stabilized (at ~5.8 runoff) feeding and watering with a high pH (>7.0). She was still spitting out some white pistils on the fattest bud, but I decided to harvest all the tops, since I like this strain, and hope to reveg her. When I finished harvesting, I fed her 3-part GH (for mild plants) and increased the light cycle to ~19hrs. I have no wet weight but plan on reporting dry weights later on. The buds were hung in a 4x2 tent using a wire rack to simplify the process.

I tacked on some pictures for harvest day. All buds seen hanging (and in that basket) are tops. The stuff laying on the bottom rack is larf/oil/hashbag material; maybe a lil' more when I trim up.
    I am impressed with these lights and am happy with my purchase(s) so far. Note that the light flickered a couple times when I was moving the tent, but I think one of the connectors is loose. I still need to get familiar with this strain as I packed quite a bit into the scrog area, but I think the length (8"-12" from the scrog net) is optimum; just a touch of overcrowding. Nevertheless, it was nice to see that the bud (in most cases) was well developed in the lower parts that weren't getting as much light. The remaining undeveloped foliage I left alone (unless it was too lanky).

enjoy the pictures!

precut:
    DSCF1957.JPG DSCF1958.JPG DSCF1959.JPG DSCF1960.JPG
    cut and to the basket or in the larf tray.
    DSCF1961.JPG
    hang em near a fan
    DSCF1967.JPG DSCF1962.JPG DSCF1971.JPG DSCF1970.JPG
    the rest is revegging now
    DSCF1972.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. That's impressive. I've been reading this thread over the past few days and browsing over Alibaba. I'm sold, just have to scrape together the funds and pick a supplier.

11. Hey guys, so I have read back from some pages but am wondering if someone can bring me up to speed regarding both the HLG led's as well as some of their competitors. When I last checked everyone thought the knock offs weren't going to hold up to the HLG's. Has this changed? I see talk of other boards in this thread and just wanted to know what the best options are regarding switching over from HPS to LED. Also, I saw UV light mentioned but thought that had been proven to be detrimental to human health. Has this changed also or am I mistaken? Thanks guys!

12. @BmcBeaver, the only thing I would maybe have done different is added some different wavelengths, like the RT board I showed somewhere in this thread, but really, I'm very satisfied with the lights; they are more than enough. As I wrote in a earlier message, I may through in some UV later on or maybe a couple strips. idk yet.

@Ancient3328, everything IS up to date on this thread. Favored and tested suppliers have been posted. These are not knockoffs, and if they are, they are sure damn good ones. Note that the suppliers have been updating to Samsung 301B diodes. The pictures I've been posting have been enough to convince a blind man, and if that won't convince him, I'm sure my smoke would ;) As far as UVB, it can be detrimental to human health, and to plants too if you dose them too much. But the lights are for the plants (and reptiles), not for people.

13. Just got a email from kingbrite via Alibaba that they have quantum boards and qb kits/ pieces.

The cob guys know, but for others king brite is a solid seller and rather fast from my past business experience

14. @trojangrower Thank you for the clarification! I think what I was mentioning was back in the beginning was that a lot of users thought the quality wouldnt be as high as the HLG lights were but I am VERY happy to hear that is not how it turned out. I checked quickly on alibaba but wanted to ask you as well as the other users here if you had a complete kit that you preferred since I am not great at building electrical type things haha. I also think what I meant by the UV being damaging was is there a known amount that is said to be safe? For instance, is it deemed to be safe as long as you aren't hanging out in the grow for more than a certain amount of hours per day? Very excited to be able to finally try some of these quantum boards for less than HLG sells them for and again thank you for your information!

15. @Ancient3328, the kit I purchased was complete and a guide was created from it (somewhere in this thread).
    The UVB can always be turned off when visiting plants.

16. @trojangrower Awesome! Yeah I was unsure whether any kits came pre-assembled or not but are they easy enough to assemble? I remember seeing the guide somewhere I just can't remember off the top of my head either. I apologize if these questions have been answered beforehand I just got confused looking through the pages so I wanted to make sure I understood everything properly. Also, is the UVB a separate light altogether? I assume so but again I wanted to be sure, thank you again for all your help!

17. Yes, a 120v rated cord will work fine at the same power level using 220v. It will have half the current going through it at 220, than at it will at 120, given the same power load.

18. yes it is, reptisun makes them.
    I remember seeing the guide
    The link is in this thread maybe about page 15? Can't remember.

19. Hey guys, some how China shipped my boards to be in like 6 days. So I slacked on ordering my drivers since I thought it would take 2 week or something. Arrow had them and now they dont. I wanted 4 - hlg 240h c2100a to power 8- 304 boards. Anyone know of substitutes? The 480 is out of stock and worry about the future for max power if I went smaller. I'm still new to this so help a brother out w dumbing it down for me and let me know why I can use. Need to order the tonight of course