Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Alternative to Hemp Wick?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by GSN1PA360, Apr 15, 2012.

1. I hate wasting so many damn lighters, Is there any common material that's safe to use as a wick? I found a like elastic type string that stretches and when I light it it keeps a good flame and burns downward just like a hemp wick would but the smoke from it smells like shit and i'm concerned if it's safe to use to smoke or not... Opinions?

2. you shouldn't smoke elastic :S Buttttt i think the hemp wick is about all thats safe, but I dont think the wick out of an unflavoured candle would be that bad for you...

3. What about like a Zippo wick?

4. I never really understood using a hemp wick? You: 1.)use a liter to light a string 2.) then you use it to light your bowl?

I'll skip step 1 and just light my bowl with a lighter

Edit: and now you want to light a bowl with a random elastic string? I'm sure whatever butane you inhale can not be worse than elastic fumes.

5. Only reason I want a Hemp Wick is because it uses alot less Butane to just light something that keeps burning instead of keep lighting a lighter, it's alot quieter too...

6. #6 PostPavilion, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
    What is stopping you from going into a shop and buying hempwick, ordering hempwick online, or going to a hobby store and buying supplies to make your own hempwick?

Edit: You can even order a free sample online, http://humboldt-traders.com/free-hemp-wick-lighter/

7. Does the wick give off a smell?

8. I don't believe so...

9. i wouldnt smoke it its prob rubber

10. The hemp wick is for a better flavor and it helps make your hit alittle bit smoother.

I wouldn't try anything other than hemp wick or a lighter. The elastic probably has alot of dangerous chemicals in it that can hurt you.

11. It is a thin string that is stretchy it isn't plastic or anything but then again I don't know whats in it and what it is...

12. i just dont understand how anyone could be dumb enough to ask if you can safely light a bowl with burning elastic.

buy a roll of beeline off aqua labs.

• Like Like x 1

13. Ya I wouldn't touch it. It most likely has something in it that isn't good for you.

14. I Use jute it's the same damn thing people...

15. if I'm out of hemp wick, sometimes I'll wrap a dirty diaper in some old hair and use that to light up with

16. Well you obviously haven't used hemp wick before..

If you did you would notice it tastes a lot better, and is less harsh/less likely to cough. Not just my opinion, everyone who has tried good hemp wick will agree... If you are a big cig smoker though, you may not notice the difference...you are already used to smoking crap anyways.

Also it saves you from having to go out and buy 3 bic lighters a month, instead just get some hemp wick and use 1 lighter for much much longer.

17. Oh yeah and the best alternative to hemp wick?

Solar bowl. (Use a magnifying glass) It's free energy from the sun... why not use it? Don't have to use fuel, don't have to buy anything (except for the magnifying glass obviously).
    By far the most efficient way to smoke.

In terms of taste, Solar bowl>Vape>Hemp wick>Butane

Also you'll be happy to know your bowl will stay green until the very end, instead of being completely blackened by bic lighters(unless you corner, and even then sometimes it happens..)

• Like Like x 1
  18. [quote name='"silenceme"']Oh yeah and the best alternative to hemp wick?

Solar bowl. (Use a magnifying glass) It's free energy from the sun... why not use it? Don't have to use fuel, don't have to buy anything (except for the magnifying glass obviously).
    By far the most efficient way to smoke.

In terms of taste, Solar bowl>Vape>Hemp wick>Butane

Also you'll be happy to know your bowl will stay green until the very end, instead of being completely blackened by bic lighters(unless you corner, and even then sometimes it happens..)[/quote]

never thought of that, going to try it out!

19. Please always use sunglasses !!! You don't want to ruin your eyesight staring at a tiny dot on your bowl...

Speaking of which, make sure you make a perfect circle, the smaller it gets the hotter it will burn... make sure you line the glass up with the sun so you can get a perfect circle, otherwise it might not light.