Alternative foods?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rudeboy6366, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Why hello again,

I'm looking for some alternative nutes to use on my little babies. I used Pro Mix HP with Mycorrhizae (Link for Info) Mixed in some lime, worm castings, Crustacea meal, alfalfa pellets, and put them in the ground (two in bags, I like to experiment ), mixing in a little bit of the sandy soil in our area. Most people I know around here don't even go through that much trouble and get some nice plants from, all the same their suggestion is to feed them with miracle grow 20-20-20 through veg and ultrabloom 15-30-15 and then a good 2-3 week flush at the end of the season. I've seen, trimmed and smoked some amazing plants grown this way. I guess my main question here is what could I use as a "replacement" for these and still get the same(hopefully much better) results. I'd prefer a more organic approach but if possible but chems dont bother me too much either.

I'd like to say before the replys fly in, I've much considered compost tea, but unfortunately this year is just too hectic for me to dive into that kind of project.

Some might say stick with what ya know but I'm the kind of person who strives for better than good.

Myself and my plants thank you :)

RB

2. I have General Hydroponics Go Box, its supposed to be all organic. I have yet to use it though so I can't comment on the performance.

3. My suggestion would be to avoid miracle grow completely.. For an organic veg I use biobizz BioGrow solution, 3-5 mL per L water. Your bloom also sounds a bit strong in N and P, my suggestion for flowering would be either switch to biobizz's BioBloom or contiue the BioGrow and add some unsulfured blackstrap
    molasses to the mix. (dissolve first into hot water and then add to solution).

I also use a compost tea, which I see you are not trying to do, but is that only because you don't want to brew your own? Most hydro stores I have been to brew their own compost tea to sell, or sell powdered mixes of compost tea which can simply be mixed with RO water. In fact my local store will give you the tea provided you bring a jug/bottle.

4. #4 rudeboy6366, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012
    My hope is to eliminate MG from the mix! Whats the N-P-K on those? I dunno if they stock those brands around here, I've seen floragro and the like, i'll check tonight... why the molasses i must ask though?

I will also stop in the hydro store and see if they have anything compost tea wise

5. The grow is 2-0.1-6 and the bloom is 1-3-2. And the molasses supplies carbs that are key in the growth of big ass buds. Look around around at the big name yield increasers such as carboBlast or bigbud XL, they consist of either sucrose or potash, most likely along with some other chemicals. Blackstrap molasses is basically those main ingredients in a more natural form without the chemical additives and price..

6. Would i have to get that at a health food store or just any grocery store? the molasses of course lol

7. That's what I was wondering, is it straight-up cooking molasses or what?

And what would it be mixed with, I assume just some warm water to dissolve it in? then obviously wait for it to cool to room temp before feeding.. *speculating*

8. I use a brand called wholesome foods organic molasses. It is available at both the grow stores I frequent, and I have seen it in numerous health food stores, ie whole foods, earth fare.. And you are correct with your speculation. Mix 1 TBSP molasses with hot water, I use 16oz RO (not sure if it matters since I heat it). then add that 16 oz to one gallon pure RO water.. I should also mention if bugs are a potential issue to your plants/soil the molasses will be a catalyst for an infestation. For this reason I have keep my molasses use to indoor plants, but will be trying it outdoors very soon.

9. Sweet, thanks eh!

10. Alright guys so i got some General Organics Bio-thrive 4-3-3 grow for Vegging and Bloom 2-4-4, those being the best we stocked at the GC, we had floragro and floranova but those seemed best for hydro systems and the biothrive seemed best for soil... Please correct me if I'm wrong cause i can very easily exchange them. So when should i start hitting these suckers? asap? I put them In saturday/sunday. I didnt enrich the soil too much but it should be good for now, i dont wanna risk burn or anything either...

11. Use 1/4 strength for a week or two and see how it handles it, then up it to 1/2 strength, and so on to full strength. I wouldn't guess you would have any problems with something like an organic 4-3-3 in soil.

12. [quote name='"Gronkowski"']

Use 1/4 strength for a week or two and see how it handles it, then up it to 1/2 strength, and so on to full strength. I wouldn't guess you would have any problems with something like an organic 4-3-3 in soil.[/quote]

Sweet thanks! What about the bloom is that strong enough? We have a monster bloom formula that's a 0-50-30 I think, sounded a little too strong to me but I have nooo clue lol

13. Holy.. I've never seen anything with over 20 P

14. [quote name='"BlackWeeds"']

Holy.. I've never seen anything with over 20 P[/quote]

It's a water soluble made by grow tek, says it's all organic...

15. So I got up nice and early this morning and gave them a wee bit stronger than a half shot of the biothrive grow so well have to see how it takes