Alternate power sources

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bobsmith3, Jul 24, 2006.

1. So I am about to start up my third grow. I've run 12 600w lights indoor before on 90 plants and had some decent reults but it was definately more of a learning experience :D. Now I am starting a grow in a more remote location and plan to run 12 1000w hps lights over 4 4x8 tables each holding 18 plants, 2 tables i want to have in veg and the other 2 in flower so I can cycle them, I also have a place for clones etc.. The main problem I am facing is that my location has no source of power, I looked into solar.. and generators definately seem to be a better way to go, however, to run these lights + my c02 gen, exhaust etc etc, it seems like i will need a fairly large propane/diesel generator in the neighborhood of 15-20KW. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these things? Is the output of the lights a TRUE 1000w, and is that watts/day? and same with the generator. I cant seem to figure out how much this is going to cost me to maintain on constant basis, and also if anyone has any ideas for which generators would work best as far as brand,size,propane,diesel etc etc it would be much appreciated! thanks and pics will be up when I get it all running! :cool:

2. I'de be a little sceptical growing that amount of plants in another place other than in my own home.. although i probably should be sceptical with 90 plants!!

3. only 12 1000w hps lights? thats it? maybe a small back-yard nuclear reactor will be sufficient. just kidding. thats alot of power though. i'd think that it would take many, many, many solar panels to power that much. generator is prolly your best bet. maybe even two of them. better stock up on diesel fuel too in that case.

4. wow man i got like 2 lines into ur post and im thinking.. wow this guy must just not give a shit! :p

and by the way.. if ur running 12000W of light u gotta have some money.. and beware of the power spikes.. where are u from anyways man?

5. Yea hehe, If only I had a nucleal reactor :D But thanks for the tips guys if ANYone has any info or experience using alternate power sources than the grid for this kinda thing please let me know!:smoking:

6. lots and lots of extenision cords

7. You can't use diesel fumes for CO2, there's just too much nasty stuff in there. People use car fumes to get themselves killed, remember?
    Propane or butane would work for this because of its pure burning BUT if your location is so remote it hasn't got electricity, its probably very silent too.
    So silent that you can hear a 20KW engine from miles and miles around.

The 1000W rating of a bulb is referring to its INPUT power. On the output side you got heat, light, electromagnetic field and such.
    The 12KW you plan on means your generator must do 24KW or so.
    1000W = 1000 Watts = 1000 Joules per second.
    1 Joule is the amount of energy it takes to heat up 1 gram by 1 degree CELCIUS.
    12 lamps 1000W = 12 kWh. kWh=Kilo Watt Hour.
    Normally the electric company bills you per kWh.

Don't you just :love: the metric system?

8. O yeah one word of caution though :

If you do get yourself a 20KW generator which outputs 110V it means you'll draw 109A nominally. 109A requires BIG FAT and very HEAVY cables.
    I've FELT cables 2 inch thick BUZZ at 50 Hz due to a 800A load.