ALS of Michigan

Discussion in 'General' started by lizardking, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Hey guys. I'm a member of Phi Delta Theta and Lou Gehrig was a Phi Delt so ALS is our official philanthropy event and we are having an ALS event on saturday the 15th. I dont really know what we are doing on the 15th but every brother is supposed to raise $150 dollars for ALS of Michigan so I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in donating money.

Here's some informatino about the organization.

What is the mission of the organization - who/what do they focus on?

The mission of ALS of Michigan is to help pALS, their families and caregivers live life as fully as possible. We also support research into the cause, treatment and cure of ALS.

What specific programs and services does the organization offer that support the mission?

ALS of Michigan has spent almost 30 years identifying, developing and customizing our programs and services to meet the most critical needs of our ALS community. We are the leaders in community service for people with ALS (pALS) and their families in Michigan.

Direct service programs include Respite Care Assistance, Augmentative and Alternative Communication, Social Work, Support Groups, Seminars and Workshops, Durable Medical Equipment Loan Closet, and more.

ALS of Michigan works closely with some of the finest multidisciplinary clinics in the country - right here in Michigan - to ensure that pALS receive both the highest quality medical care in conjunction with the community services they need to live with ALS.

How many people are being served by the organization?

On average, our annual pALS list exceeds 300 patients. Add family members, friends and healthcare professionals to this number and we provide services to over 1,000 people every year.

\\ Some Information on ALS for those of you who dont know what it is, it also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease

What is ALS?

More commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) is a progressive, neuromuscular disease that is characterized by a degeneration of the motor neurons; the cells in the brain and spinal cord which control muscles. As the motor neurons die, the muscles weaken, affecting the ability to move, speak, swallow and breathe. Through it all, the mind remains fully aware. As of today, there is no known cause or cure for ALS, although there are many promising research programs.

The Facts About ALS

It strikes both men and women, generally between the ages of 40 and 75, although many patients are young adults in their 20's and 30's.

In the US there are currently more than 30,000 people living with ALS and over 5,000 people in the US are newly diagnosed with ALS each year.

In Michigan, it is estimated that there are over 1,000 people with ALS (PALS) and 200 who are newly diagnosed on an annual basis.

ALS occurs throughout the world with no racial, ethnic or socioeconomic boundaries.

50% of patients with ALS live 3 to 5 years, 20% live 5 to 10 years, and 10% survive 10 years or more.

Sporadic ALS is the most common form and accounts for 90-95% if all cases of ALS. It occurs randomly throughout the population.

"Familial" ALS suggests the disease is inherited. Only 5% - 10% of all PALS appear to have some form of inherited ALS.

If you are interested in donating send me a pm and ill give you my address if you want to write a check, made out to Phi Delta Theta Michigan Alpha, or i guess you can send it to my paypal account and then i can just withdraw it. I'm not necessarily looking for giant donations although those are encouraged haha but just like anywhere from 1-10 dollars . Thanks guys.

Oh also, if you are an out of stater a percentage of this money does get sent to the national organization where it then gets distributed to other states i believe so some of your donation will probably make it back to a local branch in your state.

edit: I have until next saturday, which is the ALS walk in Ann Arbor Michigan on March 15th, to raise as much money as possible.

-lizard

2. I already donated to ALSA, NBCA as well as the NFA. If i had any cash I would gladly give again, but unfortunately I am broke. Sorry.