Aloe Vera

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by SkunkPatronus, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Right on, hey while I got ya. I see you recommend freeze dried aloe vera, does it had all the exact same benefits of liquid? I'm currently using Lily of the Desert. Just thinking if it's all the same the "powdered" would be easier to store for sure.

Thanks in advance.

2. Yes - but! There's always the but paradigm to consider.

The freeze-dried (mainly Australia) and spray-dried (Mexico & China) products are the best if you don't have a live plant.

And here's the 'but' - these powders come in 3 versions: 50XX, 100XX and 200XX

What those numbers refer to is that if you take 1 gram of the 50XX powder, mix it with 49 grams of water you'll have 50 grams of pure, unadulterated Aloe Vera juice/gel/extract.

Same formula (mix ratio) for the 100XX and 200XX products. A kilo of 200XX will make about 55 gallons of pure extract which is helpful to formulators because their systems are designed around barrel quantities.

And the other 'but' is that you will have to add something to this to prevent fermentation. Aloe Vera extracts have high levels of Benzoic Acid which causes fermentation to begin in < 30 minutes. Salt is added to the commercial gels which converts this acid to Sodium benzoate.

So to answer your question - the powders are the best source of Aloe Vera with a couple of major considerations.

HTH

LD

• Like Like x 1
  3. #43 SkunkPatronus, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012

Me too, Aine fakakta?
    ...everything was 'meshuggah' pronounced 'mishugi' to my family... much mishigas, many mishugina, a single mishugi. Can still conjegate those verbs I see :)

I miss that part of my background, when the oldsters in my family died, so did my use of a whole vocabulary of words, concepts, gesticulations and communications...those that survived are very entrenched...hearing my blonde light eyed tots calling each other crazy in gutteral yiddish over the dinner table made them laugh many years ago.

4. [quote name='"SkunkPatronus"']

Me too, Aine fakakta?
    ...everything was 'meshuggah' pronounced 'mishugi' to my family... much mishigas, many mishugina, a single mishugi. Can still conjegate those verbs I see :)

I miss that part of my background, when the oldsters in my family died, so did my use of a whole vocabulary of words, concepts, gesticulations and communications...those that survived are very entrenched...hearing my blonde light eyed tots calling each other crazy in gutteral yiddish over the dinner table made them laugh many years ago.[/quote]

It's almost a shame, how the world changes, for the good and the worse. Life was simpler then. Good times.

5. [quote name='"LumperDawgz2"']

Yes - but! There's always the but paradigm to consider.

The freeze-dried (mainly Australia) and spray-dried (Mexico & China) products are the best if you don't have a live plant.

And here's the 'but' - these powders come in 3 versions: 50XX, 100XX and 200XX

What those numbers refer to is that if you take 1 gram of the 50XX powder, mix it with 49 grams of water you'll have 50 grams of pure, unadulterated Aloe Vera juice/gel/extract.

Same formula (mix ratio) for the 100XX and 200XX products. A kilo of 200XX will make about 55 gallons of pure extract which is helpful to formulators because their systems are designed around barrel quantities.

And the other 'but' is that you will have to add something to this to prevent fermentation. Aloe Vera extracts have high levels of Benzoic Acid which causes fermentation to begin in < 30 minutes. Salt is added to the commercial gels which converts this acid to Sodium benzoate.

So to answer your question - the powders are the best source of Aloe Vera with a couple of major considerations.

HTH

LD[/quote]

I know you must have a good source for me to look into. ;)

• Creative Creative x 1

6. Aloe Wholesale is where I bought mine - their #705 which runs about $250.00 per kilo.

I'm not making any claim that they're the best or whatever but their science guy gave me about 45 minutes of his time to answer questions, explain extraction methods used in their products, etc.

So I did business with them - LOL

LD

7. Hey All, I cut some clones about 2 weeks ago in the auto cloner. I ran them with straight tap bubbled off. At 1 week I did water change I added 1/4 cup per gallon of aloe. I had a shitload of roots at 10 days but plants looked not so happy. I've transplanted them. They are still alive but look like shit. I think they will pull through. I'll have to do some more experimenting. Usually at 10-14 days I have roots and plants look healthy. Any ideas? Too much aloe? If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

• Like Like x 1
  8. if you think the aloe rotted and is stuck to the roots, causing the issue, dousing your medium with the diluted h2o2 water should sterilize the medium, and stop the decay. However There could be other causes for the stress, you will have to evaluate the factors yourself... if it is decay you may see some mold on the stalks of your plant, or on the surface of the dirt near the stalks... or weak branches, pictures would really help...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lump,

What did you think of the link to the aloe vera based fertilizer I discovered? Too bad it's made in Bali........I'd be all over it trying to get a gallon or two if it was available here.

chunk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chunk

Thanks for sending me this link on a commercial Aloe Vera fertilizer.

Good overview of the agents found in Aloe Vera as it relates to growing plants and not the usual sites promoting this plant for health or beauty. In my case it's the ol' "Why mess with perfection?"

Check out the Elements and the percentages - it can certainly compete with traditional organic fertilizers, dry or liquid. The Vitamins are extensive as well as many other agents.

For the benefit it provides, even the liquid Lily of The Desert products are inexpensive.

LD

• Like Like x 3
  11. From the link posted by LD in #25 of this thread:

"Extracts of Aloe vera
    and Azadirachta indica(Neem) did not inhibit growth of P.
    griseola but only a sparse growth of the pathogen was
    observed on the impregnated paper disc."

and later in the same article:

"Alternatively, the solvents used for extraction did not
    capture the active ingredient in the plants."

LMAO. Did anyone else actually read the article? Doesn't support this thread, but that is because the whole experiment was flawed from inception.

Voo

12. Perhaps you should reread the cite you picked before chortling too much. Read for comprehension.

LD

13. Comprehend this: "Alternatively, the solvents used for extraction did not
    capture the active ingredient in the plants."

14. Grabs some popcorn and a seat

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Article supports garlic, not Aloe. I wasnt jesting at you LD but I will cachinnate at the situational ironies.

16. You might want to grab a giant slurpee too Weedroid.

17. The excitement builds. :poke: