Aloe Vera for cloning, question.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 4ala2sk0a, Feb 17, 2014.

1. #1 4ala2sk0a, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    Can you rub a freshly broken aloe limb onto a stem to clone?

Or is there a process?

2.  read the stickies... a hint keyword if you want an all natural cloning juice - weeping willow

3. #3 donothinggardening, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    Here's some good stuff I have saved to my notepad from LD:

LD's Stupid Easy Cloning Method - almost organic even. Close enough for many.

Buy RapidRooters or one of the knock-offs. Doesn't matter 'cause they're all made at a single factory in Springfield, Oregon. They're made from cellulose from the wood products industry. "Waste not - want not" - Grandma Dawgz

Make a kelp & alfalfa meal tea. On this one either dilute the standard recipe by 50% with pure water or, more logically perhaps, start with 1/2 the material for usual recipe that makes 5 gallons.

To each gallon of diluted tea, add 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice/extract/gel/whatever, 1 tsp. of Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt and soak the RapidRooters in this for a few minutes. Remove and you want to press out the excess water/tea. You want it a bit more hydrated than they were when they arrived at your home. You'll figure that part out.

As far as rooting gel, liquid, powder, water, honey - whatever (redux) just use what you're comfortable with. It's a discussion I can't do any more.

Put in a tray with the 8" dome, spray the inside of the dome, leave the cuttings alone, spray the inside on a regular basis when needed. You want a solid beading of water on as much of the surface of the dome. You're looking for high humidity on this part.

Dat's it.

LD

(and for further explanation.....)

Here are the components and why they're used:

1. Aloe Vera: Salicylic acid is a plant compound which has been used as a rooting agent for over 120 years in the nursery industry. This is the compound that's found in Willow trees which you might have run across in posts on rooting a cutting

2. Kelp: Kelp contains the natural forms of rooting compounds that you find in commercial products, compounds like Indole-3-acetic acid (IAA), Indole-3-butyric acid (IBA), 4-Chloroindole-3-acetic acid and Phenylacetic acid which are auxins (hormones - all auxins are hormones but not all hormones are auxins). These compounds perform different functions as far as facilitating root development, i.e. IAA creates the actual root sites on the cutting's shaft whereas IBA causes root elongation. All of these are in soluble form and are in an organic form vs. the versions found in Clonex, Dip-n-Grow, Olivia's, whatever.

3. Honey: Honey contains a slew of enzymes, amino acids and also contain compounds which function as a biofungicide exactly like Aloe Vera extracts.

So there's the basic mix but you'll need to go one step further to get this into a gel. For that you can go to Dip-n-Grow and purchase a product that they call Dip Gel which is simply an inert carboxmethly cellulose product. When it's mixed with water it becomes very thick, i.e. a gel.

The price was around $16.00 for a pound and you mixed it something like 10 grams to a quart of water and shake it and then let it sit overnight and the next morning you have gel.

So you would use the kelp, aloe vera to create a rooting compound to the strength you want, add the Dip Gel powder and the next morning you'll have a quart of organic, effective rooting compound. The versions used in some of the commercialrooting compounds are registered pesticides (NAA in particular which is the one in Clonex if I remember correctly).

Add some BioAg Fulvic Acid and increase the effectiveness even more.

HTH

LD

my first grow

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 donothinggardening, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    You can use gel straight from an aloe leaf or you can make some aloe juice.. use some citric acid to preserve.. lemme see if I can find the ratios... or maybe somebody will chime in..

Edit: or check out youtube! Same guy, different handle:

"monoparade

At YouTube are several videos on how to extract the gel from the Aloe Vera fillets. Once the juice is extracted you have about 30 minutes to get the next phase completed because the Benzoic acid in the leaves will begin to ferment once it's exposed to air.

At the grocery store you can buy Citric acid in the department where canning jars, lids, etc. You can also buy it a home-brew stores.

You can find more information online about the amount of Citric acid needed, etc. and more extraction info at YouTube

CQ"

my first grow

• Like Like x 1
  5. Well, I have an idea I think im going to try.

Skin and puree some aloa vera and fresh kelp, blend with boiled willow juice, and see what happens.
    Somthing like that. In my situation, the environment around is all I have to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. What about cloning the actual aloe plants. Any ideas from the guys round here ?

7. @[member="Clackamas Coot"] thanks for the link homie, I appreciate it truly. Wife just bought me my first aloe plant, it's not too awful big right this minute and is in something like a 4" pot. Was thinking of transplanting and taking a clone at the same time to have Mo aloe.