Almost ready to harvest, I think.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by metaldog, May 7, 2012.

1. I am new grower. I have 2 plants growing from some bag seed. They are doing really good, nice big coals are growing and each plant probably has about 20 buds on each. Here is my question. The bud hairs have been changing color for awhile. The last 2 days they have had a massive color change. MY question is. What do I do with all the new bud growth. There a lot of buds that are still relatively small compared to the coalas. I dont want to harvest to early. What would happen if i just let it keep growing till all the buds are big and fat. I would guess that they have been flowering for about 6 weeks. I don't want to pull early. I will update later with pics, cant right now since I'm at work. Thanks in advance. I know I can probably find out a lot of these answers in various threads, and I have read quite a few already, but none answer my specific questions.

2. Surprised that you have not read this already but check you trichombs (little crystals) with a jewlers loop or pocket microscope (they are really cheap) they ideally would be either cloudy or amber the longer you wait the more amber they should become. More amber meens more of a coutch lock (stoner high) and the more cloudy would be more of a head high. If a majority are clear don't harvest. Most indica's are 6-8 week flowering plants satevia's go 8-13 weeks (very roughly, I have only had one indica hybred strain finish in 6 weeks most are at least 8) the hairs receeding and changing color is a good indication that you should be checking your Trichombs for readyness. Note that not all strains will have their hairs turn red and receed.

Example: I start checking my indica hybreds at about 7 weeks with a micro. and harvest them at about 80% cloudy and 30% amber

3. Thanks for replying. I did buy a handheld microscope from Radio Shack yesterday and My trichomes are not cloudy yet. Which I'm glad because I want my buds to keep growing. Can I do anything more to try and increase the size of buds before harvest ie. fertilize, stress the plants, bend the stems? Remember they are outside, so I cant do much about light, except maybe putting them in the shed.