Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Almost killed by an edible

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by sbtim, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ok so I got an edible from a dispensary and ate it yesterday, after about an hour my heart started pounding so fast I felt like it was going to explode. I was also shaky and felt burning hot. I ended up going to the ER where they gave me IV fluids and tranquilizers.

Now, trust me, I've smoked weed before and never had anything like that happen. But one small MJ cookie later and I'm in the emergency room. They say that MJ can't kill you, but if my heart kept pumping as fast as it did, it could have caused me to have a heart attack.

if anyone can offer me insight on what the hell exactly happened to me.. I'd appreciate it. I always thought of MJ as a safe drug, but this causes me to reconsider that.

2. You had a panic attack.

3. sounds like you may have overestimated your tolerance.... don't forget that edibles are significantly stronger than an equivalent amount being smoked. i had a similar experience, and felt like i was about to get a panic attack, but realized that i'd just consumed way too much and just chilled out by eating a ton of food (to take my mind off of being paranoid). best hamburger i've ever eaten

4. this. /thread

5. Weed has the potential to increase your heart rate dramatically, depending on the THC content. Since you're getting maximum THC from eating it, your heart rate is more likely to increase.

It happens -- how long was it beating rapidly for before you went to the hospital? I know it can be scary, but you probably overreacted.

6. I wish I could get that high, uber fucked

7. i bet man...:smoking:

8. Probably for about an hour so. Took a good 45 mins for it to reach its full effect.

I would manage to relax and get it to slow down a bit, but it would always start beating uncomfortably fast again. Since I'm not one to risk my heart exploding, I just said forget it and went to the ER.

When I got there, they gave me 2 doses of tranquilizer and I felt fine after that.

9. I think it's Regular has happened to me a few of times, just don't panic and relax.:smoking:

10. yes just relax,, panic and relaxing is like speed balling it. you just sit there and freak out. hahah jk sorry for messing with you kill3ri

11. #11 tharedhead, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
    Since they did not keep you for observation, I assume they found no evidence of any form of cardiac arrhythmia which would lead to death.:confused: While a simple rapid pulse may increase feelings of anxiety, its not... Ventricular tachycardia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There is rapid pulse....and bad rapid pulse. They did an EEG, right....
    Then gave you some happy pills and cut you loose?

12. Yep, you're heart started to race and you panicked which did nothing but make the situation worse. I've seen it a million times. :wave:

13. Lol I had one when I first got high. It's all in your head, you'll trip yourself scared. Just remember to calm yourself down remind yourself that all you did was smoke a little bit and it will be over soon :hello:

14. they did an eeg, a blood test, and took a piss sample to make sure there wasn't any other crap in the cookie

everything came back clean, they gave me a dose of tranquilizer (through my IV), then they watched me for a while, told me they wanted it to go down more so they gave me another dose, after that they watched me again for a while and let me go home.

15. no but I didn't smoke it it this time, like I said, I ate it. I really didn't think it would be any different. Just smoking it has never increased my heart rate, actually, it brings it down a little bit if anything.

But then I eat one cookie and I feel like I'm on coke or meth.

16. Hmmmmm i want to try one of these "edibles" you guys are talking about :p

17. i fuckin love meth!!

18. Good, thorough testing. :)Valium, right? I'm glad they did complete testing a made you more comfortable.
    When you get older, if they suggest what is called a "chemical stress test" you may wish to discuss this episode with your physician. It can cause a similar reaction in some people.

19. Coming from someone who used to have REALLY bad panic attacks (not from weed) I can say this was certainly the case.

20. more then likely you over thought what was going on and freaked out instead of being calm and enjoying the high....( this also makes people had bad boom trips)...