Almost died today watering (safety warning)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by vd420, May 22, 2018.

1. #1 vd420, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Was watering my plants with 4 liter jugs when one of the tray in the back snapped. I didnt notice that, the water started creeping on the side towards the outlet and my feet I was in dark room and had fan going too lucky was wearing rubber slippers by adidas. When I seen that extension court almost covered in water I pulled it from wall and jumped like crazy to safety honestly one of my worst experiences ever I highly advise to not water them in the same room with your lights! Unless all your light strips and courts are hanged high and away from ground even if you are careful that 1 drop from wet spray bottle into that extension court could cause power to blow out all your lights and possibly electrocute you to death. Now having one large rubber tray for all the plants instead many small ones, wearing rubber boots really helps ahh also dont place clear rooting solution in the water bottle because you might forget it and poison yourself or your family. I will update things here as I think of them and if anyone wants to add some safety precautions you are welcome stay safe guys.

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Haha it puts the shiters right up you doesnt it .
    I almost blasted myself first time i watered my coco plants couple weeks ago. Fed 36L between 6 fabric pots.....
    And forgot they needed drip trays never knew i could move that fast. Nearly fell through the attic

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  3. #3 Vee, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    [​IMG]
    water below ya waist

power and its shit

above ya waist

good luck

• Like Like x 3
  4. Get a GFCI protected power cord
    [​IMG]
    Or put in some new GFIC outlets and be done
    upload_2018-5-22_15-9-13.jpeg
    Saved my life once I was standing in pool using a circular saw trimming a deck to finish and power cord fell in water
    GFCI blew instead of my heart

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  5. I'll have to look into one of these for my grow nice tip.

• Like Like x 3
  6. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I sat here for five minutes trying to figure out if this was a haiku or not!!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Yeah for real I will definitely get one after today I think everyone should thx man, its funny like you don't think about this stuff when you first start but it's there...

8. Like others mentioned, I have mine hung up to avoid water and also for extra measure I have a water safe power surge so you could dump gallons of water on it and be safe as soot.

Best $50 ever spent, electricity is not your friend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Definitely wish we was resistant to it but that's not the case here lol, we all in same boat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Not Grow Tip but Life Tip ...lol if you wanna keep yours lol

Tho I have an RCD its dodgy as fook..tested and failed many times

hence the mind numbing nags that ride thru my head .....lol

you may use the old 1960's term BRAIN washed ...lol

good luck stay alive is getting tougher ...lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Never can be too careful

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Just make sure you get a cord that can handle the watts you are pulling through it other wise it can overlord the wire
    Outlet GFCI are the best or a breaker inside main panel

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Glad u hanged it high I didn't notice it at first but looks quite decent setup. I will definitely go with vostoks light above belt water below rule though. Not directly above water obviously lols.

• Like Like x 1
  15. That's how Fukushimas happen.

Glad you're okay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thanks your the first person to actually say that :')

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. A medium to strong nutrient solution will electrocute you but fairly pure water won't.

I live in one of the rainiest places in the US. I moved here from a place that gets very little rain. I work construction. Where I previously lived when it rained we would take the day off. Here if you did that you would never work. I've ran skillsaws all day in pouring down rain with the power cord plug under a puddle of water on the concrete slab.

The only time you get shocked is when some dumbass puts salt all over the job to melt ice.

A GFI is not quick enough to actually save your life if you're electrocuted. They are to prevent fires. They won't save your life if you're shocked good. The time it takes to trip is too long. That's why new electrical codes require something called an arc fault breaker for locations that are prone to people getting shocked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Everyone should wall mount their power strips or at least put them on a small shelf so they're off of the floor a few inches. This goes double for people with drips systems with a large res and pump. It could potentially dump that whole thing when you're gone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Those arc fault breakers are so sensitive that you can't run some power tools on them. The DC brushes in the motors cause them to trip. It's annoying. Keeps people from getting electrocuted though.

• Like Like x 1