Allergic to Fruits

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by rollinjoints, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Okay, recently I've noticed when I eat fruits that my throat starts itching and swelling up. This has been going on for a year or two now and I've been trying to eat healthier and live on a purely vegetarian diet, but I'm not able to eat any fruits. I've been eating salads at work and the itchiness of my throat is tolerable, but when I eat bananas or watermelon my entire mouth swells up and my throat begins to itch. It is weird. Do you all know any other sources I can eat that will give me the same goods that fruits do? I'm not up on dietary knowledge. Also, are any of you aware of this type of allergic reaction and how to treat it?

2. You don't need that much fruit...

I wouldn't eat a vegan diet if I were you, but if you're going to you can eat a lot of nuts and vegetables I guess.

3. You can pretty much get all your vitamins from veg that you would regularly get from fruit - leafy greens to red peppers.

I would get the testing you need done to determine what you're allergic to. That's very dangerous if you're having that type of reaction.

4. Yeah I do need to test for it. But it's never serious though. It is really uncomfortable but it's never more than a dry, itchy throat and a weird feeling.

5. Keep a food journal and make note when it happens. Maybe you are allergic to only certain types of fruit. Melon allergies are fairly common. Whenever I eat honey dew my throat itches.

6. Banana kiwi and strawberry contain latex and are a relayed allergy.

Melons are a common allergy.

Have you tried other fruits?

7. Yes omg! Fresh pineapple, kiwi & mango make my tongue swell and itch. :( I hate it.

8. I notice when i eat apples my mouth and throat itch. But not when i drink apple cider or woodchuck cider or eat applesauce or anything else apple based

9. I used to get the same thing OP, but I just kept eating them and it went away completely.

Idk if your situation is the same as mine though so maybe get some tests done?

10. Definitely fruits are beneficial for health but some people have allergies to a particular fruit.
    If you got allergy to a specific fruit then consult to the doctor and try to sort out the problem.

Garnier BB Cream

11. Allergies tend to get worse, it may not be bad now but who knows a month from know you could die from it. I'd hit up that doctor as soon as possible just in case, maybe you're lucky and its not even an allergy, just some weird human body shit!

12. Some fruits I can just gulp down lb-wise. But if I eat an apple my throat is itchy for 30-60mins :/ i hate apples :/

13. Yes fruit allergies are common. Try sine different fruits.

If your only allergic to raw fruits you might have oas.

Oral allergy syndrome is a sensetivity that can become worse if your allergies are worse.

If you take antihistamines and keep a clean environment your allergies will be better. You might be able to eat fruits again after.

I can sometimes eat fruit (that im not actually allergic to) no problem but every once and a while ill get a reaction randomly from a fruit I'm not allergic too.