[Alleged] Armenian Genocide

Discussion in 'Politics' started by since93, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #41 Arteezy, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
    PBS | Ombudsman | Documenting and Debating a 'Genocide'

It seems that Lewis's (and the OP's) stance isn't that the massacres didn't happen, but that the massacres happened but were not some sort of attempt at trying to wipe out an ethnic/racial/religious group. I'm not sure how this position can really be justified given what we know about the massacres. Why did the Young Turks and the Ottoman Empire wipe out a million Armenians? Were they just having fun?

How do their intentions disqualify the events from being a genocide?

I'm sorry but the million Armenians who died in the massacres did not stab people in the back. They did not deserve to die. Stop implying that they did...

2. they were getting revenge...you can see what i posted a few posts back if you want...

3. #43 Arteezy, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
    Revenge is not a good justification for massacring a million people... You can open a book on ethics or morals if you want...:rolleyes:

Also, "getting revenge" if anything makes the massacres a genocide for sure... Do you remember what the Nazis' justification was for going after the Jews?

EDIT: I bet the other person who voted 'no' was QP3...

4. I'm done here, this is asinine.

I hope you enjoy putting so much mental anguish on the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the survivors of your brutal ass backwards people.

5. i dont view "getting revenge" as genocidal...what the nazis did to jews was a planned form of extinction where ottomans went out of revenge...which created a massacre because nearly the whole of the eastern front was brutalized by armenians....the scale was huge, that is true,..it was a massacre...no more, no less, but "massacre" and "genocide" are not the same thing, as one finds in respected dictionaries...

asinine.....ok, i just wanna say my great grandfather was cleavered to death in the middle of the village...cleavered while alive....so dont get all like that....

6. Actually, the final solution was vengeance too.

"If the international financial Jewry within and outside Europe should succeed once more in dragging the nations into a war, the result will be, not the Bolshevization of the world and thereby the victory of Jewry, but the annihilation of the Jewish race in Europe." - Hitler 1939

Still genocide.

7. theres a reason why there are two different words:

cambridge dictionary (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/):

genocide: the murder of a whole group of people, especially a whole nation, race or religious group

massacre: 1. to kill many people in a short period of time
    Hundreds of civilians were massacred in the raid.

2. (informal) to defeat an opponent very badly in a competition or election

a massacre is not genocide.

8. When you're getting revenge on an entire group of people, it's "genocidal"... Sorry, that's the definition of the word. If you want you can go argue with a dictionary, but that is literally the definition of genocide.

Intentions mean dick when it comes to defining what is genocidal. All that matters is the actions and in this case, their actions were pretty clearly "genocidal".

Wikipedia is a respected source now, especially the articles which are heavily sourced. Obviously, i wouldn't only cite Wikipedia if you're doing some sort of term paper, but for this sort of discussion the sources you find off wikipedia are sufficient.

Anyways, it doesn't matter why the Ottomans/Turks did it. Their intentions don't disqualify their actions involving killing a million Armenians from being a genocide.

9. oh..before i forget, there are snippets of info that hitler actually heard it from the turks the concept of genocide...like attributing him to say "...whats the problem if we exterminate a few miillion jews, etc....turks did it to the armenians"....an endless line of propaganda can be found because historicaly the western world has viewed the ottomans/turks as animals....

10. out of all that, seeing this killed me...your information is based on wiki?....youre kidding me

11. Stop trolling... Did you see the link I posted above? I WONDER WHERE I GOT THAT? PROBABLY NOT WIKIPEDIA.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. stop trolling...aw man...aw dude....

13. Massacres aren't always a genocide, but this isn't one of those cases. Have fun denying history. :wave: Be sure to enjoy your comfy delusions and blissful ignorance.

14. i find that rather ironic....

15. I find it incredible that you haven't responded to any of my points. :rolleyes:

Actually, not that incredible. I'm just being sarcastic. :D

[​IMG]

16. dude, putting pics doesnt enforce your argument, only goes to show you have no substance and are trying to back your emptiness with pictures....if you want responses to you points, read the accumulated 4 pages, then lets talk....shit!

17. I did read the thread and I made my points. Intentions are meaningless when trying to figure out whether some event was a genocide. The action of killing a million Armenians is enough to classify that event as a genocide.

18. ...and you got your double PhDs in late ottoman era from WHICH universities?....peh!

19. DURRRRRRRR. When I can't come up with a valid criticism to someone else's valid argument I employ an ad hominem... peh! :rolleyes:

You can stop trolling now. The jig is up...

20. blow me, intellectually

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.