All of my bottom leaves are dying

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by dexorated, Jan 11, 2007.

1. I am growing some c99 in ocean forest soil. The fertilizers I'm using are big bloom and superhume seaweed, and am in the 3rd week of flower. On all 4 of my plants the bottom leaves will slowly go from green to yellow and then die completely. Please see the pictures attached. Are they lacking nitrogen?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      95 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      24 KB
      Views:
  2. nitrogen has to be used in lower concentration during flower compared to phosphorus and pottassium, i doubt it's a factor.

the dying leaves are normal, in final stages of flowering expect it to be more drastic, as buds increase size, water consumption should be plentiful or it will begin to appear worse.

3. This just seems to be more than normal, especially for only the 3rd week. I take off about 10 dead leaves every watering which is every 4 days. So should I be watering them more?

4. Do you know the ph of your soil? It is very likely that the nitrogen is being locked out because the ph is either to high or too low. I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago, and have battling to fix it since. Check the ph of the soil run-off, and let us know. It should be right around 6.5-6.8.

5. i demand more pictures of the entire plant because from my analysis you say as though it deserves a more thorough examination

underwatering can cause dying leaves especially during flowering because the water consumption from the leaves to the buds is drastically increasing as final stages approach.

if they were mine i'd take a step back before my panties get in a knot to determine if most of the vegetation exists, the problem increases up the plant, and theres slow bud formation.

6. 3 weeks in flower (which is probably really only week 1 if he counted from the time he switched the lights to 12/12) is way to early for leafs to be yellowing and dieing off like that.

you need to check your PH.

7. here is a link to my grow journal if you want to see more pics
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-jou...closet-grow-320w-floro-tubes.html#post1376306

8. DierWolf is right , that is too early & I agree with fatbob166 that PH maybe the culprit

firstly you need a PH meter, spend the $50 and solve your issues, the aquarium "liquid drops tester" you use isnt accurate as you need to be, you also need to know what your watering PH is, and whats causing your acidic conditions. PH is the most common cause of lockout...........spend the $50.

you say you read a 6.0 PH runoff ....... IF this reading is correct your soil is acidic and needs a flush (optimum PH 6.5 - 6.8) follwed by a mild jolt of ferts to get through the bud cycle.

I looked at your journal pics and see the start of bottom leaf twisting again pointing to acidic PH

the lites you are using during veg arent cuttin it. Include the 400 HPS you just added for budding to your next veg cycle, your plants looks terriby streched and the internodal spacing is poor due to the under funded lighting during veg.

gluck

9. I don't know the ph variables. All I can tell you is personal experience. From my experience I have never grown a plant that didn't lose bottom leaves during flowering. I wouldn't sweat it too much. All the good stuff is just going to the buds.:) By the looks of them you are lacking light.

10. I have no problem spending $50 on a ph tester that actually works, but I have no idea what this $50 one looks like or where to get it. The drops are what the guy at my hydro shop gave me and I also I have the green ph tester from home depot that doesn't seem to work either.
    Now I have the 400watt hps with 160watts of 3000k floro's on the side.
    For my next grow I'm going to do MH during veg and the use the MH and HPS during bloom.

11. I just tested my tap water and it has a ph of 8 - 8.5. I am going to water with this to bring the ph of the plants back up.

12. Might want to bring the ph of the tap water down to around 7.5. Then I'd say don't just water the plants with it, but actually flush the soil. Remember whatever your pot size is to run about 2x3 times that through in water. Leave the water out for 24 hours (uncovered) before you do so, and pour carefully, so you don't screw up your roots.

13. Only One Problem chief, he ain't got No Buds on his Plant, lol.

14. You are right, doc. When someone said flowering I just assumed budding. One day I'll be able to get something other than dial-up and be able to see the pics sooner.

15. I agree, it definitely looks like pH problem on multiple levels, definitely flush using water with pH of 7.5, when most of the water has stopped draining out the bottom, test the pH again.

16. What should I bring the ph up to? 7?
    As to those who said there were no buds... look at these pictures.

Attached Files:

• bud.JPG
      bud.JPG
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
    • bud2.JPG
      bud2.JPG
      File size:
      38.7 KB
      Views:
  17. high alkaline/acidic ph for me effects the entire plant right away and i can tell it's in stress within a day, it deffinetly doesn't cause bottom leaves to completely turn yellow and die in the span of flowering when all the rest of the vegetation is fine. right when u said bottom leaves dying i knew it was normal for nice healthy bud development, everyone was over-contemplating ph.

18. I think the first picture you posted in the first post you made in this thread is the most telling.
    The purple of the stems hurts my eyes its so bright.
    You're plant is waaaaaay stressed out man, really messed up!
    I've seen lotsa plants with purple stems but never THAT purple.
    Before you start doing anything drastic to alter the pH, be sure to check if the drainage from the plant is still sufficient.
    If the bottom layer of soil in your pot is permanently too wet it may sufficate the roots of your plant, hampering absorbtion of all nutes and water.