ALL new growth is YELLOW and bottom leaves are turning brown and drying(((((PICS)))))

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by lowberry, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ok so im growing some bagseed ive got about 10 plants almost 3 weeks old, so my biggest plants new growth is all coming out yellow and th bottom leaves are turning brown and dying, the smaller ones are a healthy green color but i can see some yellow in their new growth too...
    the soils ph on the bag says its 5.5 and i know this is a problem but i live in a country with very limited garden supplies and it was the only soil available to me, Im gonna look for something to raise ph and hopefully i find something, if I do would it be a good idea to flush and then try to raise the ph?
    I have grown in the same type of soil before and never had any problems with yellow plants they were pretty healthy but TINY

Cliffnotes for those too lazy to read:
    why is new growth yellow and why are the bottom leaves burning? is it because of the ph being 5.5?

sorry pics are low quality all i have is a camera phone

Attached Files:

2. 5.5 is a tad low for soil, you want a ph of 6.5-7 for soil man and if your soil has slow release nutrients these could be killing your plants.

3. I know that man but thanks, I know I need to raise the ph and i will when I find the proper items to do so, but garden equipment is very limited where I live, Does anyone know any common household items I can use to raise ph?
    I know i need to raise ph but i simply want to know if low ph is whats causing the yellow growth...?
    and yes unfortunately on the bag it says it does have slow release nutes but this is the only soil they had in the garden shop and the outside ground soil is alot shittier,
    now im thinking i should flush all of my plants, then find some way to raise ph, then a week later maybe start veg nutes, does this seem like a good solution to my problem? or is it something else causing yellow growth
    and since the ph is 5.5 or lower theyre probably locked out of nutes

4. Low pH and probably lack of nutes, or a lock-out of nutes. Get the pH up and then slowly start with some nutes.

5. yea thats exactly what i thought it was, I transplanted to some soil that says its 6-7.3 ph but this soil has terrible drainage unfortunately, its looking really droopy now but hopefully i will see a change in a few days then i will start with 1/4 dose 10-10-10 nutes i guess

6. perlite will help with drainage, but you have to mix it with the soil before you put the plant in.

7. I dont know any household items that raise ph, but you can get some ph increase at a pet shop for aquariums, i use it nd its fine on my plants, but make sure you flush your plants not just change the ph, flush the plants with the ph adjusted water or the build up nutes in the soil will kill your plants when you change the ph

good luck on the grow

8. yea man that is a low ph problem!Raise the ph of the soil to 7 and they should be fine