All About Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jcj77d, Aug 24, 2008.

1. read this: http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/239552-diy-150w-300w-hps.html & look here for some pics
    4 Strain HydroHut Grow Setup - The Garden's Cure

its the light hanging in the front, the hood was a plastic hospital basin, that i painted with the engine ceramic paint, then painted with titanium dioxide paint, & the outside was also painted with the heat resistant engine paint.

notice how bright & even the light is from that 1 diy150w hps compared to the 400w hps next to it, the plants even seemed to grow towards the 150 vs the 400, which kinda baffles me, b/c plants usually grow toward the strongest/brightest light source, its b/c that titanium paint reflects light very very good, & can be even better if you mix in another paint ingredient (cant remember), but a wiki or google search should help.

2. I always appreciate someone that can show they know something about all the lighting methods and at the same time, agreeing that LED's are good.

LED Grow Lights have been my no.1 hobby for 3 years now, building them that is.

3. anybody know anything about hps lights? i got a 150w from htg about 3 weeks ago i notice that the bulb has already lost some of its intensity. is this normal ? all i could afford at the time was the cheap bulb that it came with. is there a better bulb for it that i can buy?

and do you know if i can upgrade it by, buying a 400w ballast and bulb and use the reflector and base from the 150w? thanks.

4. anybody know anything about hps lights? i got a 150w from htg about 3 weeks ago i notice that the bulb has already lost some of its intensity. is this normal ? all i could afford at the time was the cheap bulb that it came with. is there a better bulb for it that i can buy?

and do you know if i can upgrade it by, buying a 400w ballast and bulb and use the reflector and base from the 150w? thanks.

5. Hey Pot God & Kind People,

This is very good, broad and easy to understand!

Time has gone by, you left out sulphur plasma (PLS by LG) and the EFDL (induction lights) perhaps you might look at this website information and figure a way to integrate some of it here? Induction Lighting, the Lowdown! « inductionlightinglowdown

For even more in-depth information and some pretty cool EFDL and Plasma lights, you might try, Grow-Light-Source.com The latest in Cooler Grow Lights.

Keep up the good work!
    photon

6. Even Greenhouse growers use supplemental lighting to take advantage of manipulation of the photo periods, to either foster growth or flowering and fruiting.

7. no, you shouldnt notice a decrease in its output that fast, it should be a yr or so before you notice that. contact htg & tell them, they will replace the bulb, & will prob even upgrade it to a better one, they always have for me when my bulb burn out before the warranty runs out (1yr).

i dont see why you cant.

8. interesting, but WOW look @ the prices:eek:

9. good shit. the only thing i woud specify more is about the HIDs. you only need to put a 1000 watt hps 2 feet awat from the tops. 400 watts cn go as low as 10-12. 600 can do 18-22. and if you get air cooled or water cooled you can go even closer.

10. question for you jcj, what do you recommend regarding kelvin temperatures of the CFLs in one room? Should they be all the same, or would a combination of 5600k and 6500k work?

11. The LED grow lights example map.
    LED grow lights industry to bring infinite space for development
    \tAccording to information, the LED grow lights research direction and many extensions of space, not only can realize intensive plant production, reducing plant hormones or other chemical use, can also be used for agricultural pests prevention and control the physical, specific wavelength of LED light source annihilate pests; can also be used for the animal breeding, the specific wavelength of light to promote the implementation of LED to animal production, reduce the disease occurs, reduce feed additive and hormone use and so on.
    \tOnly plant factory nursery industry for an LED grow light source with a huge consumer market, according to the south of our group estimates, seedlings currently only export to nearly a strains of huge amount, domestic consumption in more, if the plants in the factory nursery LED to replace the traditional electric light source, the one-time total market scale will reach 300 billion yuan.
    \tTo sum up, the urgent tasks is to make more and more people know to the LED grow light, and the benefits to practice it benefits brought by extension, used for, and then make plants demonstration LED the fill light form industrialization. Make plants grow lights play its greater advantages brings convenient while and bring real benefit is the key

12. ok question about lighting... plant 6 weeks into flower and i the timer has been on 14 hours of light instead of 12. fixed problem today. buds look airy and revegged. tips of hairs are starting to turn brown. am i gonna have a hermie or something?

13. as long as you dont see male sex organs should be ok... not sure. was it on 14/10 for all 6 weeks?

14. I was planning on having one plant and having two 26 watt daylight CFL's on an 18/6 cycle and then having a 60 watt soft white CFL on a 12/12 cycle. Once one plant starts budding i would like to have another plant to just start sprouting. Should I use one, or maybe both, of the daylights along with a soft white once one buds and another starts sprouting so I can have both light for the sprouting plant and for the budding plant? This would really help me out.

15. I've read about light adjustments during the last 2 weeks of flowering, such as going 8 on 16 off from 12/12 by dropping an hour a day or every day. Any thoughts or input on that for pushing out thc production prior to harvest?

16. I was reading up on which light cycles to use and a lot of them said the more light the better. But most I've read about did a 18/6 during vegetation and then 12/12 during the flowering period.

17. Hey DSull12, it's best to stay in the 6500 kelvin range for vegging.... during flowering however you can mix the spectrum up at 2:1 ratio, example, burn two 65watt 2700 kelvin w/one 65watt, 6500 kelvin... it does get you better results in the end, but that's my opinion.

I have had 3 very successful CFL grows completed and starting a 4th grow. Last grow I had used five 105watt, 2700k, w/five 65watt, 2700k, w/four 55watt, 3000k and four 45watt, 2700k for flowering and my mixed spectrum was four 85watt, 6500k w/twelve 26watt, 6500k to achieve Grade A bud.... CFLs can do the job, just remember to move your CFLs during the flowering stage in and around your budded colas and you get awesome results.... check my grow journals to see my CFLs at work.... hope I helped :cool:

18. Hey calvin4986
    I grow w/CFLs only and this is the schedule I have always used:
    Vegetation Stage: 24 hours/day

Flowering Stage: 12/12 for 10-12 days, thats about the time you'll note little white hairs at the flowering site, once you see pistil hairs, which will be the 1st day of flowering btw, not when you switched 12/12, anyways where was I? yeah when pistil hairs appear, switch to 10 hours on, 14 hours off or 10/14, this promotes more flowering..... after 2 weeks at the 10/14 schedule, go back to 12/12 until your 2 weeks to 10 days from harvest, adjust your light schedule to a 8 on/16 off schedule, this schedule enhances maturity, ripening also it increase trichomes or resin production..... when your 2 days from harvest go completely dark for 48 hours, then cut, the dark time enhances even more trichome out put :D

just covered that for ya DSull.... :wave:

19. I just want one plant for myself. I was planning on using a y-socket with two 26 watt daylight CFL's during vegetation, and then I would switch one of those bulbs with a 60-65 watt soft white bulb. Once one plant was a little way through the flowering period I wanted to plant another to have ready to go as soon as I harvested the fully grown plant. When doing this there will be a short time where I'll have to provide both with light. During that time I was going to use one 60-65 watt soft white bulb and one 26-30 watt bulb for both plants. Would it be fine for the vegetating plant to be under the soft white bulb or does it require strictly daylight bulbs?

20. [quote name='"faderharley"']

Hey DSull12, it's best to stay in the 6500 kelvin range for vegging.... during flowering however you can mix the spectrum up at 2:1 ratio, example, burn two 65watt 2700 kelvin w/one 65watt, 6500 kelvin... it does get you better results in the end, but that's my opinion.

I have had 3 very successful CFL grows completed and starting a 4th grow. Last grow I had used five 105watt, 2700k, w/five 65watt, 2700k, w/four 55watt, 3000k and four 45watt, 2700k for flowering and my mixed spectrum was four 85watt, 6500k w/twelve 26watt, 6500k to achieve Grade A bud.... CFLs can do the job, just remember to move your CFLs during the flowering stage in and around your budded colas and you get awesome results.... check my grow journals to see my CFLs at work.... hope I helped :cool:[/quote]

Would it be ok if I had two 65 soft whites and one 26 watt full spectrum throughout the whole process