All About Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jcj77d, Aug 24, 2008.

1. my instinct tells me that if there aren't many/any grow logs from experienced growers using these things, you're better off staying away from them. who knows, maybe they'll turn out to be the grow lights of the future and all the claims that their 300W induction light = 1,000W HID will turn out to be true (i doubt it.. it sounds unlikely, doesn't it?) but as of right now there's just not enough info. for $500, you could have a really sweet HID set up.

2. Hey guys I haven't been here in a really long time but have a question about lights. I read the post and it is very comprehensive so thank you. I wanted a second opinion because I need help conceptualizing what is needed. Will one of these LEDs work: EarthLED Grow Lights, LED Grow Lights, LED Growing, Grow Lights, Plant Growing Lights Plant Lights, LED Growth, Hydroponics ?

I know everyone is probably sick of led questions so i'm sorry in advance but looking at the chlorophyll spectral activity ( http://www.gardenscure.com/420/atta...-confused-chloro-production-x-light-chart.gif ) it seems as though those LEDs would work well. But if so, why so cheap?

3. Thanks for the info, and your words ring very true. I think I've decided on an air cooled 600 watt HPS and perhaps a light mover, as my grow space is wider than deep.

4. I burn CFLs, over 1000 real watts, 48000 lumen for 6 beautiful female plants. Beefing it up for my second grow CFLs are worth it. No heat issues... you can get bud like this

Attached Files:

5. Great looking grow...you say no heat issues? Do you have an exhaust/intake setup?

6. No I don't actually exhaust, however I do bring in fresh air. The closet is located under the stairwell, heat rises out of the closet due to positive static pressure by my 2 8" fans hanging on a louver door. Never gets warmer than 80 degrees, but on the average, about 76 degrees. If I turned off the fans, yes then it warms up over 80 degrees.

My new flowering room however will be exhausted. I'll be installing a diy carbon filter, which I need to complete...:smoke:

7. In regards to witch strain to use, i would absolutely recommend getting a quality strain from a reputable bank. I have experience with auto flowering plants, and conclude that i much prefer a standard strain. if size of plant or time from seed to harvest is your concern, then just do a one or two week veg stage and go right into a 12 12 light cycle. you will get a higher yield and have a lot more versatility with your crop.

8. Is a vented hood with exhaust out something that you bu or make. I have no idea what this looks like or how to set something like this up. I'm trying my first grow with cfl's - 26 w 5500k and Alot of them.

9. Do you mean that from seed to 2 week old plant that you go 12/12 and induce flowering? How long does that take to mature?

10. Oh, I forgot to mention that I use Cfl's 26w 5500k

11. could you explain how you diy with a carbon filter. Smell will be an issue. I've had 1 plant that I grew outside and when I brought it in to dry, the whole basement stunk. Any advice would be great.

12. for cfl's, youll have to build one, or do some serious searching, look on ebay.

u can do 12/12 from seed if u wanted. most plants are matured by 2-3wks old

look in the DIY section

13. Hi Bro,
    I'm sorry to bother you but I am trying my first all Compact Floro Grow and have a 5" OG Kush that I just put into a pot to root, I have two 26W 6500k bulbs about 6" off and a v splitter on both sides of the plant each with a 20w 6500 k and 20w 2700k about 8" from plant, the temp is consistent at 78-82 degrees but my leaves are yellowing a little. Do you think that I shud move the lights closer or let it root a little before because it has only been is soild for 2 days... Thanks for your time...

14. just the info i needed. my HID lights were baking my babies alive

15. #55 faderharley, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011

Yeah that's sounds good. Don't need to mix the spectrums " 6500k w/2700k for vegetation stage. However when you switch to flowering stage, you can mix the spectrum as long as you keep a ratio of no more 2:1 or 2 to 1. 2 2700k to 1 6500k, hence mixed spectrum. It fattens the colas, enhance trichome production and cola structure, it's more like the real-deal "sun" hope it helped ya, good luck.

I get Grade A+ bud growing w/CFLs. Another tip, when you are flowering your gals, move your CFLs each day, the sun never shines the same each day, right?

Attached Files:

16. Hello people, i was surfing around elsewhere in the web and came across this. Found it interesting but was hoping some one with more experience and knowledg could eiter confirm or deny the following regarding lights

"...

5K - 7K Kelvin: Strong Blue Light
    Promotes bushy growth. Ideal for rapid growth phase of plants.
    Greatly enhances all-around plant growth when used with super
    high output, high pressure sodium or 3K warm metal halide lamps.

4.2K - 4200 Kelvin: Cool white Flourescents
    Can be used as supplimental blue lighting when used with a 3K
    source.

4K - 4000 Kelvin: Neutral Metal Halide
    Best single source for plant growth, producing shorter, bushier
    growth than 3700 Kelvin and color rendition. Used in general
    plant lighting.

3.7K - 3700 Kelvin: Softer Metal Halide(coated)
    This coated lamp is used in general plant lighting and for more
    rapid growth than 4000 Kelvin produces.

3K - 3200 Kelvin: Warm Metal Halide
    Highest photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) value of all HID
    lighting for all phases of plant growth. PAR watts account for the
    nutritional value of light and are a direct measure of the light
    energy available for photosythesis.

2.7K - 2700 Kelvin: High Pressure Sodium Lamps
    Redder color mix, used for propagation, blooming, supplemental
    greenhouse lighting.

id love to give credit to whoever i ripped this off from, but i dont remember :)

hope it helps
    ELEKTROBUDS "

In that case, will a 4100 CFL had a similar spectrum to 4K - 4000 Kelvin: Neutral Metal Halide and 4.2K - 4200 Kelvin: Cool white Flourescents?

Thanx

17. Great info pollojunk. I find moving my CFLs around each day, especialy during the final weeks of flowering. I just completed my 2nd grow. Landrace Colombian Gold and Blue Widow....using +1000 watts large spirals CFLs w/a few smaller ones...

18. [FONT=&quot]you should try LED lights LED grow lights were originally developed in the space station as a cheap and effective way to provide the needed light spectrum to grow plants. [/FONT]

19. Have a question about the t5s fixtures. id probably get the one that holds 2 lights because i only plan on growing 1 or maybe 2 plants at once. Do i have to worry about these getting hot and burning my house down? And idkif this matters but i might get this HTG Supply - Grow Tent - Mother Keeper 51.5 x 22.5 x 48.5 - Silver Lined

20. Based on the picture i drew (mspaint lol) will this work?

And by how old they are i meant like do i use a growth bulb until its time for them to bloom then put a bloom bulb in for 12-12?