All About Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jcj77d, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Hello all, I'm about to start growing and since I have limited space (home-brew MDF grow box in a closet) I'm going to start with some auto-flowering strains. I've decided on a 400W HPS system, the idea being that auto-flowering plants pretty much skip veg and go straight to flowering, so HPS is pretty ideal, and later on I can grow full-sized plants with a MH conversion bulb. I'll be growing six plants maximum, possibly only 4 or 5. Would it be worth it to supplement with 2' CFL's along the walls, or will 400W of HPS be adequate?

Also, I'm planning to buy my light system from HTGardensupply because they have what looks like a *killer* deal, but I'm a little skeptical about the reflector. It can be found here:

High Tech Garden Supply

Does that seem like a suspiciously good deal to anyone else? What's the catch?

2. "I have noticed that some plants do start to yellow with 24 hr light after 2 weeks, switching to 18 hrs on 6 off tends to help them begin to grow better. Eventually, all plants need to have a dark period for certain molecular cues to go off and normal plant growth to occur."

does switching from 24hours of light to 18/6 increase growth with cannabis? you said "some plants" i'm not sure if you meant cannabis as a whole or if its only certain strains.

3. The catch is that you are buying growing supplies online, which is infuriating if something is wrong with the product and you have to fight with them to fix it, replace it, or refund it, and secondly that you now have a nice neat paper/digital trail to add to the evidence if you ever get busted. Of course you are posting on this forum and your IP is easily traced, so you're already screwed if you ask me. Still, cops do not seek out people on forums or go through online hydroponic store records to drum up business. If they did, we would all be posting from remote caves.

I paid $466 for my 400w HPS, ballast, bulb, and reflector, but paid cash and in person. Feels safer to me, and money is cheap.

If you are going to supplement a HPS, use blue spectrum lights ("daylight" bulbs are 6500k, "sunlight" are 5000k) and avoid red spectrum (3000k and below) b/c you already have the red taken care of with the HPS. Hope this helped.

4. i was wondering about using a green light in my room at night to work around and mess with stuff in there if that will mess up the photo period of the plants or make them hermies? i also was woundering what would happen if on the secound day of 12/12 they were exposed to an extra hour of light after the light was suposed to go off? :eek:i did it lastnight and ive been hoping it wont effect the ladies. there just startin to show flowers :hello:.

5. green light bulbs are perfectly fine to use in grow room while lights off.

6. Thanks OP, very good stuff.:smoking:

7. I just started growing my buddy gave me a 2 foot plant he had outside i put it in micracle gro moisture control potting mix and 2 clamp lights with 2 60w CFLs micro mini slyvania its in a closet in my aprtment has a vent and a ceiling fan in the room is this a good setup? any tips? im also new to the forum also im trying to get it to bud ive been giving it 12hours light 12 darkness is this right?:confused:

8. theres no way that site sells 400 watt hps for 120 ?? did i get riped off i bought a 150 watter for that much at my local hydro store.. :(

9. This LED info is incorrect, or not informative, outdated, or wrong in relation to other info.

10. I'm about to set up a new set of lights, 6 23w(100w) CFLs.. attached to a single surge protector with 3 Y-splitters. The bulbs are touching each other. Is is okay if the cfl bulbs are touching each other? any risks involved? They put off like... NO heat.. but im checking anyway. Thanks!

11. so how long should dark period be for summer plants? how much light is sufficient for 2 plants about 1 foot tall?

if anyone can help me thanks!

12. hello all, i just wanted to share my experience with this site: Sun Blaze® T5 HO Fluorescent Light Fixtures, a grow light for plant propagation / cloning and seedlings at Sunburst Hydroponics for buying T5 fixtures/bulbs. i spent a lot of time looking over various hydro websites trying to find the most light for the right price, and this is definitely it. the prices on the Sun Blaze fixtures are $15-$25 less for each model than most other sites, and the shipping was only $11, as opposed to $20 - $35 at other places. the best part, tho, is that i got my order last night after placing it online 4 days ago. the packaging was as discreet as possible, just a plain cardboard box with no holes to see what was in it, and the return address was just someone's name and a street address, not the address of the business. just wanted to share this, hoping to save people some time narrowing down the best deals.

13. What is the cheapest light that will work for under 100$

14. Thanks for sharing the information...

15. So... you are giving a green light on the green lights which will better enable you to light some green... My head is spinning people. Woo hoo!

16. #36 Fascist Botany, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2010

From everything I have seen and read so far, you are looking at a 105 (actual watt) CFL or 2 to 3 42 watt CFL's a plant. 100 watts a plant for CFl's seems to be rule of thumb.

I have not grown myself recently (since before they had CFL's, LOL), but I have read a lot and that seems to be the consensus. I have read several threads where people say CFL's are as good as HID's like MH and HPS.

105 watters are around 30 bucks ea. 42 watters 10.00 ea. WAYYY under 100.00 -- even with the 10.00/ea reflector fixtures!!!!!!!!

CFL's + clamp-on reflector fixture will cost 40.00 - 60.00 / plant - -that's CHEAP!

17. hello you guys, i have an urgant couple of questions!!!
    1. is it possible to use a halogen floodlight (200-400w) for the whole process (veg, flowering ect.).
    2. do the hps, nl or CFL lights make any noise when they are on? (specifically 400w hps/nl)

i would loooove an answer you guys

peace and pot and happy growing :wave::wave::wave:

18. ooh, also will a 400w hps be enough for 4 small (45cm) plants??:confused:

19. Does anyone in the community have any real world experience with edfl otherwise known as induction lights? I've read all I can find on them, but most of the info is from vendors so it's naturally biased. I would love to know if anyone has done a grow log with these or a challenge ala Rumpleforeskins LED challenge, before I plunk down over $500.00 per for the 400 watters.

20. Halogen floodlights are not good for growing. Not the right color spectrums and they put off way too much heat. The lumens aren't as high as you might think either.

Yes, a 400w hps is excellent for 4 plants!

@gntlmn frmr,
    I haven't seen anybody use them on here yet. I've also been watching that tech develop. The color rendering on them is outstanding. The lumens, wel enough said. If I had the money to blow on one I would, but alas I don't. It would be a very interesting grow if you did it. I'm sure you would have a lot of traffic on that thread. Just like Rump did.