Alienware, any experience?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by VikingToker, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Hey, I'm buying a new computer next month and I've been out of the hardware game since like 2010 so I'm green af

I've been strongly considering buying Alienware, does anyone have direct experience with it or knowledge about it?

inb4 its overpriced, disregard money questions, I'm interested in how well it runs

2. Alienware is still good. Some of the models have heat issues, so I would do research on the specific model you want. Personally have had a better experience with Asus

My Journal

• Like Like x 2
  3. Btw there are many more gaming computers out than were in 2010. Other brands such as MSI, for example. Some of them have all the bells and whistles that alienware (now owned by Dell) does, some have more. As far as hardware, Intel and Nvidia seem to stand the test of time with little compatibility issues when compared with AMD and Radeon. Solid state drives come pretty standard with gaming pcs now - good way to speed up your OS and loading times in games.

Just for the record, I have a Xidax. It's right up there with the rest of them.

My Journal

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the detailed response.

My current choices are between the Asus ROG and the Alienware X51, though, as you mention, there are a lot of new competitors out there since I last had my magnifying glass out

The for-sures are the new i7 Skylake processors and probably a GTX980. Alienware has both luquid cooling tthat gets good reviews and this external graphics extender (an external graphics card slot) which really tempts me too

Portability is a desireable value for me, I don't think I'm going to get one of those giant towers, even if it tempts

CyberPowerPC Zeus Evo Review, 2016 | Top Ten Reviews This "CyberPowerPC" (super suspicious name :laughing:) gets great reviews too I see, never heard of the brand

(I've never heard of Xidax either, so I'll be checking that out!)

What specs do you have atm and how do you feel about your gaming experience on demanding games?

• Like Like x 1
  5. First and foremost, mine is a laptop (or portable desktop).

My current rig:
    i7 4720HQ (4 core @ 2.6Ghz)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 960m & Intel HD 4600
    16 gb ram
    1tb HDD
    17.4" 1920x1080

I have owned 3 or 4 bad ass gaming laptops over the last few years. I traveled for work which is why I chose laptops. 2 of them were Asus ROG (G74 and G750) and they were beasts. Didn't have the fancy lights that alienware has but still had backlit keyboard. Asus is also cheaper but no heat issues. In fact, the G750 had an aluminum body and that thing nevr once even got warm. Always cool to the touch.

My Journal

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oh and as far as my experience with my current rig, I haven't had any issues. Plays all games I've thrown at it just fine. Fallout 4, Witches 3, Far Cry 4, Black Ops 3, etc. I'm a game junkie.

For my mouse, I'm using an older Cyborg (now MadCatz) R.A.T. 7. 5600dpi and still gets the job done but I will probably finally be upgrading this year after using it since 2011

My Journal

• Like Like x 1
  7. I sold my gaming laptop last year, but did a lot of researching on a gaming laptop (didn't want a desktop).
    But several people have recommended the Asus gaming laptops, as Alienware is overpriced and overhyped.

Asus is better looking, runs cooler, lower priced, better customer service, and available at common big box electronic stores.

The thing I liked the most about asus is they port the exhaust away from the user, while Alienware exhausts heat towards your gaming hand...

• Like Like x 2
  8. This has been my experience. Asus is usually setting the standard with their cooling systems. They really are great.

My Journal

• Like Like x 1
  9. It's looking more and more like I'm going for the Asus ROG G20CB

• Intel® Core™ i7-6700-prosessor med 4,0 GHz
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX980-grafikk med 4 GB dedikert RAM
    • 16 GB DDR4-RAM (2 x 8 GB) med hastighet på 2133 MHz
    • 1 TB HDD- og 256 GB SSD-lagringskapasitet
    • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/ac for rask og stabil trådløs tilkobling
    • Svært gode tilkoblingsmuligheter for lyd, skjerm og annet utstyr
    • Programvare: ASUS Command, Aegis II og ROG Audio Wizard
    • Operativsystem: Windows 10

[​IMG]

Compact , not a giant tower, but beats the gaming laptops handily and I can get one of those fancy curved screens to go along with it. Oculus Rift capable too

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yes! ROG was what I was using. It was a very good laptop!

I might be looking to get another asus rog... my buddy plays a lot of dota2 and starcraft, among others. Makes me want to play again.

• Like Like x 2
  11. My 1st gaming pc was an Alienware but that has been a few years. I went with builds from cyberpower around the time of Windows XP. I've bought 4 pc's from them since then.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yea the xp era is when I started getting serious about pc gaming. Had a Dell XPS with a Pentium D...one of the first dual core processors

• Like Like x 1
  13. I got a chuckle out of that! I almost bought an XPS when they came out. Radio Shack was the only Dell retailer around my area back then. The RS guy was such a snotty prick that all I wanted to do was pull his skull apart, I had to get out of there.

A friend on Steam told me about Cyber Power. Everything has been cool ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I've disbanded both Alienware and ASUS btw, much as it appeals to me.

Gonna end up getting all the parts seperately anyways and cramming them into this box chassis

[​IMG]

If I had infinite dollars, I'd be getting an Alienware too

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alienware is a hot ride, I just feel they are a bit overpriced. When I bought the 1 & only Alienware I will ever want, they were the cutting edge of the market. There is more competition now.

The one I have now is able to run all games with the graphics set to ultra & it is smooth & very pretty on my 27" AOC 144hz monitor.

• Like Like x 2
  16. At the time, Dell was good. Not sure how they are now. I know Dell owns Alienware now.

@VikingToker, nothing wrong with building your pc. You can make it to your liking for a cheaper price that way. Hope it works out for ya.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DONT BUY ALIENWARE! nonnononono, alienware sells good stuff for a stupidly high price, watch a youtube vid and build your own, for your question it will run well, just as well as one you would make yourself with the same specs but a few hundred even about a thousand dearer.

18. and dont be fooled by the looks, looks dont really matter except from airflow

19. Ewwwwwwwww don't buy prebuilds from alienware or Asus. Build your own, gonna be cheaper and you'll feel a better connection to it trust me.

Alienware was, I say was good at one point. Before they were bought out by Dell, they had great customer feedback. Had an Aurora my brother bought for 1500$ lasted 2 years. Just overall not good experience with them. Overcharging for a brand name. Use pcparts picker it will give you a list for each part on who is selling it for cheapest and you can detail it out however you want.

Just don't waste your money on those. Brands. Now Asus makes prob the best mobos and their gaming rigs are generally better, I had a rog laptop and wore that bitch down. But I still say build your own.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. I've never seen a case in a bare bones kit that was worth a damn for a laptop build. Asus baby.