alge and buildup on hydroton

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by qz420, Jun 17, 2010.

1. #1 qz420, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
    hi im using a top feed system and since the hydroton rocks are always wet they seem to be growing alge or something, heres a pic of what im explaining, its not my pic but thats what my hydroton looks like.

So im just wondering if this is bad or normal?

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/glowdynamics/4368473605/"]Ultimate Mother Original Week 1 Flowering4 on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

2. That algae can potentially make its way down into your rootzone and harm the plants. Try blocking the hydroton from light (paper plates work pretty good for this) or perhaps place the feed line an inch or two down in the hydroton to shade the wet part. The algae should stop growing and you can wash it out. Peace

3. I cover my rockwool in hydroton to keep the nasties from growing on my blocks. Sometimes my pellets begin to grow algae, so I remove the top inch or so and replace it with fresh hydroton while sterilizing the problematic pellets in a 10% bleach solution for about 15 minutes, then I rinse thoroughly and allow to dry. Good to go again.

I havn't noticed the bleach soaking into the rocks in that short of a time, but it kills all the fungus and algae (I think). I have had the same rocks for a couple of years now, and I just keep reusing them without issue.

4. small amounts of algae isn't a problem. Pour in hydrogen peroxide to your res if your worried. That will kill off algae, add more oxygen to the root zone and once it gives off that radical oxygen atom it turns to h2o aka water :) Im not a hydro guy so the added water might lower your ppm so you should keep an eye on your ph and ppm that day and the next to see if there is a fluctuation. Add more peroxide every 3-4days and it should be 91-97% on the bottle.