Algae on rockwool

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jcypress, Aug 19, 2012.

1. I'm having trouble uploading the pictures but I noticed a green section in the shade of the leaves, as I looked closer I could tell it was algae. the plant is in week 3 of veg under 4 26w cfls, in a bubblebucket, it is completely wrapped in foil tape, general hydroponics nutes, lucas formula @half strength

Whats the best way to treat this?

2. Hey mate... I just answered this in another post two minutes ago so i'll just cut and paste my answer from that, some of the advice may not apply but you'll get the idea. It's a pretty common problem....

First of all spray the algae with some 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution, available from supermarkets and chemists here in Australia and secondly cover the growool in yr pots with about an inch thick of clay balls, alternatively use panda film or mylar above. The green algae is just what happens when light hits the growing medium, without the light you should not be getting algae. While algae doesnt do much more than sap nutrients from yr medium it does attract insects like Fungus Gnats which can be detrimental so it's a good idea to get rid of it or prevent it growing in the first place... Cleanliness is next to Godliness in Hydro setups, thats my number one rule.