alfalfa vs straw for no till mulch?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MYCOPATH707, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Which is better mulch for no till beds....alfalfa hay or straw....is there more nitrogen in the alfalfa?

2. Alfalfa!

Be well...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Alfalfa is superior to straw in many many ways.

Be well...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. The straw is the best choice for mulch. Alfalfa has a lot of seeds and will germinate in the pot and compete for the nutrients. Wheat, oat, and barley straw have most of the seed grains removed at harvest so it is not as much of a problem.

PW

• Like Like x 4
  5. Thanks for the correction I've been using alfalfa as mulch for years and never experienced it sprouting on me outdoors but maybe that's an issue with no til indoors

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. I believe alfalfa is harvested before producing seed as a general rule and I have been using it in my outdoor beds for years with no sprouting issues maybe it's the wrong choice for indoor mulching.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. [​IMG] says here straws more likely to cause a sprouting problem, this is been my experience also.

Be well...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Upon further review I see that straw is OK and hat is not yet I'll still stand by my alfalfa as mulch.

Be well...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. I used a clover seed base and then put down straw. If I had to do it over again - I wouldn't plant the clover. Not because I have had a bad experience but because it competes for water and nutrients and its affect on the soil maybe overstated possibly(?).

I read that the nitrogen fixing powers of clover are really on effective if the plant has died and the root system breaks down. Maybe that will happen as my plant goes into flower - right now I'm clipping them down because they are super tall.

I don't think either are bad options and probably the benefit of one over the other won't be very noticeable as it is with no mulch vs mulch.

My 0.02.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sounds like no clover then during cannabis growing times maybe in the off season

12. Depends. Straw is more inert. Alfalfa helps with nitrogen. Personaly i use cannabis trimmings. If they sprout, perfect, living mulch

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. Clovers great in a no-till set up. Trim it like grass and let it break down in the soil. Lots of it dies off in flower as the cannabis plant begins to fill out and block light. No tills aren't a short term investment therefore even if all of it doesn't fully break down for this plant it will for the next crop. It breaks down fairly quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I used alfalfa and the leaf mater fell off of the stem and made a mat on the surface that molded and stopped the amendments I add from getting to the roots so now I use oat straw for mulch and add alfalfa powder to the amendments that filter through the straw when watered and now get to the surface feeder roots.

• Like Like x 1
  15. you can chop up the cannabis leaves a little before mulching, i keep a pair of scissors in the grow area and if i have a lot of leaves from trimming or whatnot i just bunch them in my hand and cut with the scissors into smaller pieces. this way they dont mat the soil surface. i dont worry about a leaf here or there, just if i have a bunch all at once i would cut them a little.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ="SpiritMtFarms, post: 22564203, member: 946831"][​IMG] says here straws more likely to cause a sprouting problem, this is been my experience also.

Be well...[/QUOTE]
    This Is helpful ....where is it from?

17. This Is helpful ....where is it from?[/QUOTE]
    Sorry not sure I pulled it up from

18. Search using straw has a mulch that's how I found it

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ive been using wheat straw , but just boughf a bale of alfalfa.....since I have it im going to use it. Plants are going outside today.

20. Alfalfa has been my go to mulch for several seasons outdoors I believe it to be superior to straw and that it adds more nutrients and beneficial ingredients to the soil never experienced a sprouting problem with alfalfa

Be well...