Alfalfa Tea Question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by kashkr0p, Mar 17, 2014.

1. If I use a alfalfa tea for feeding or Goliath spray during veg would any non organic feeds work against the tea or would they be fine together.

Other question is if I just go with alfalfa teas an other organic teas for veg would I stunt the plant to switch to synthetic feeds in flower

Sent from my Huawei-U8652 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Haha goliath spray damn auto correct

Foliar spray***

3. Haha, you screwed me up with the goliath spray thing. You can certainly go ahead and foliar with it no problem. I gave my girlfriends caregiver some stinging nettle tea to water and foliar with and it worked great for him.  As for the second part of the question I don't think you would stunt the plant but if you can tea them in veg why not flower?

4. Using non-organic, synthetic fertilizers will kill much/most of your beneficial microbial populations.  Once you begin using them, your organic ferts (like alfalfa tea) will be far less effective, especially as soil drenches (alfalfa tea could still have some growth benefits if used as a foliar due to Triacontanol).  

I find it a strange idea to spend time cultivating a healthy microbial population that could take you all the way through harvest, only to subsequently decimate them with unnecessary synthetic ferts..... of course that is assuming that you are putting in the effort to cultivate a healthy microbial population............... 

5. I don't know enough yet about organics but I herd about killing the soil pretty much if u switch to synthetic after organic. Beside better flavor can organic also match yields with synthetic nutes

6. If you are concerned about yield use a SIP bucket.

7. I'm sorry I don't know why that is

8. #8 GiMiK, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    because more often than not a novice gardeners issues stem from watering; this is a larger factor in a grow geared towards biological interactions, as they require consistent moisture to thrive as well as the medium being much heavier and more retentive than peat/coco only mediums. There tends to be a small learning curve when one's lacking experience in dealing with a living soils needs.

The sip buckets/trays eliminate that concern as they provide consistent moisture in a passive setting, via capillary action. Plenty of gardeners here use them, myself included. I would however vouch for BluMats if money's not an issue.

Here's a couple threads on the SIP (self irrigated planter) system we have taken a variation of and applied. 

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1154867-sip-fundamentals.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1151159-noobwannbs-self-wicking-smartpot-ghetto-setup.html

9. #9 kashkr0p, Mar 19, 2014
    Why do mostly organic growers use sip
    and why aren't these sip buckets common practice.
    How would you know wen to change your teas in ur buckets can't they go.bad sitting for to.long
    I might try this now

10. Organic growers mostly use them because you only put water in the reservoir. If you want to give teas you still need to top water the plant. I usually find that I fill my SIPs up between 1-2 times per week with water. I will soon be implementing a new schedule in which I top water with a tea on the same day I bottom water and wait for the top few inches to dry out then top water with tea and bottom water again.

because quite a few people buy into the hype over sterilization and gimmicks sold by "da dude" behind the counter at grow stores and continue to assume that the only way of gardening is that involving acids and such to adjust the water solution. 

that's my guess at least. if you would really like to understand a bit more on the differences between how the mediums and nutrition interact I'd suggest to start here - http://www.soilminerals.com/Cation_Exchange_Simplified.htm

dont apply any teas or solutions to the SIP reservoir...this will only encourage anaerobic processes should you not aerate the source.

I just made a couple large trays out of wood + panda paper, filled them with lava rock and perlite, set my 20 gallon smart pots on top and filled the trays with an appropriate amount of water. Others may utilize 5 gallon buckets, trays for runoff and/or various other containers for the reservoir.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
  12. So the reservoir is just for water buy I still pour teas thru the top soil?

Yes, or by foliar application

14. #14 FunTimeGrowHap, Mar 19, 2014
    It's passive hydroponics, not unlike a hempy bucket...the hydroponic crowd just decides to throw in a pump and timers and omit the soil.  You will also find soil growers using blu-mats drip irrigation lines in an effort to maintain the optimal hydration.

15. I guess ill see what I can.make with my bat guano and seabird.poop ad worm casting and all the other organic freebies I got and see if it'll last a whole grow from veg to flower