Alfalfa seed water?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Rokit, Mar 21, 2012.

1. DSC_0052.jpg

Hi, does anyone know whether the water from alfalfa seeds has nutrients in, or is it waste product? Im not sure whether to use it or throw it away.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Not sure about what the seed has to offer but since in turned the water brown it obviously had an effect. Make sure you strain that well before use unless you will be planting alfalfa. Also I hope that lids not air tight. You are making a micro-tea right? Also was the seed treated with a fungicide? Lots of variables rokit.

Voo

3. Hi VooDoom, thanks for the advise. I now have it growing under a cloth with the lid off. Yeh, i'm planning on using the sprouts for making tea. As for the fungicide, i have no idea. I just sent message to the ebay seller, so will definitely not use the water until i know for sure. Thanks for that.

That aside, it would still be good to know if the water has any use as i will be growing it all the time.

4. I would add the sprouts, water and all to the tea.

5. Unless it stinks don't throw it away. Brothers LD and ChunkDaddy have posted some very interesting DIY methods for coaxing the sprouting of alfalfa seeds specifically to use the "juice" (for lack of a better word ATM) as an ammendment to a drench. It's the growth hormones resulting from the sprout of the alfalfa seed and that which contains the highest concentrations of growth hormones which are of the greatest value. The use of alfalfa in general in our grow journey's is so well documented in fact based academic research that to attempt to grow a plant organically without the use of alfalfa in some form or another is a huge oversight for an organic grower. Alfalfa, like kelp and EWC, should be considered a must-have for an organophile grower.

The "juice" from your alfalfa sprouts can be considered something akin to a steroid fattening up a chicken... or sumpin similar. IOW, it's good stuff and you should use it if it doesn't smell offensive.

6. "Highest concentrations of growth hormones". Now that is interesting.

7. The water off soaking alfalfa seeds is loaded with good stuff that's excellent for plants and humans. A health food guru from Canada I knew years ago who was really into alfalfa sprouts was religious about drinking the brown tea after he soaked his seeds for fresh sprouts. Tastes rough and hard to swallow for me, but it's supposedly loaded with more concentrated goody than the sprouts.

8. Rokit,

Last summer, LD and I were at his local grow store and he was getting me his killer bro deal on a couple of new lamps for my flower room. We were bs-ing with the clerk and he was quick to show us the newest rooting product that had hit their shelves.

The clerk proceeded to tell us that GH had "reverse engineered" House and Garden's Roots Excelurator, which is a high priced rooting product from The Netherlands.(60+ bucks for a 1/4 liter) GH had replicated this special elixir for 1/2 the price. After reading the label, we looked at each other and started laughing our asses off.

This new product's main ingredients are alfalfa extract/barley extract/ and willow extract [cite] The reason I am posting this anecdote is because 2 of the 3 main ingredients in this product are easily obtainable for us organic growers.

The important thing about using sprouts is that they contain massive enzyme actions as well as the growth hormones needed for strong plant/root development. We have used both sprouted alfalfa and sprouted barley fpe's for our plants and instead of using willow extract, using aloe vera juice will provide higher levels of salicylic acid [cite] which is found in willow.

Any of the seed from the meals we use as fertilizers can be effective when sprouted and made into a botanical tea. I usually soak 1 part sprouted material in 3 parts water for a couple of days and use 1/4 to half cup per gallon as a drench or as a foliar. You can soak your rooting media in this extraction also.

A barley extract is beneficial for stressed plants and also when dealing with high temps. Use the search function and you'll be able to dif up a lot of good information on barley and alfalfa extracts. There is also a lot of good info on the benefits found with using aloe vera.

cheers,

chunk