Alfalfa Meal

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Zedstomper, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Hello, I'm looking to grow 2-3 plants organically with Miracle Gro Premium soil, It's has peat moss, perlite, and nutes already mixed in.

I want to add alfalfa meal on top of my soil when I transplant them to there final spot when they're about a week old.

Can alfalfa meal PELLETS from petco be used like this, if so how much and what manner should I add it?

:p

2. Those would work, but ideally you would add them to a soil mix and give them time to break down. As is you can sprinkle a couple for or so around the top of each plant. It will help retain soil moisture and feed the microbes in the soil. Assuming that mg soil has those....

3. Ok im going to mix it and let it sit for a few days, and try to find a good ratio on your thread

4. Doqnt1 bother mixing in dry ammendments if u dont have a proper humus source inur soil. Mg does not count as quality base soil for super soil sorry dude u need something like 1/3 of perliteor rice hulls, castings or compost preferrably both, and peatmoss and or coco coir again preferabbbly a mixture of the two.

5. KK I'm just going to try and sprinkle about .25 of a lb of powder over my plot, If I can get far 0.o

6. Your growing organically with miracle gro premium soil with nutes added. That's not organic unfortunately, they add chemical fertilizers. Search for organic soil mixes in the organics section and read the stickies. Theyll get you pointed in the right direction. If you mix alfalfa meal into your soil it will need to "cook" for a few weeks so as not to burn your plants. But as mentioned you need a good humus source in your soil to provide the microbiology necessary to break down the alfalfa into plant usable forms.

7. I hope you dont have any hungry critters around! Raccoons, skunks, ground hogs, minks and hey..... DEER!!!! They all jus love that wonderful alphalfa and will dig and tear up every plant you have before you get back to the car. Maybe you dont have any wild animals and will be fine.

I would further suggest that soil mixes need a few weeks minimum to homogonize after being mixed. A month would be better.

A quick question. The miracle grow is designed to offer moderate to good growth to a wide range of plants and does fairly well with cannabis. What is it your hoping to influence with the alphalfa? Yield? Taste? Plant health? The reason i ask is that when i look at the makeup of MG and then consider the growing medium with alphafa added, i dont see the benefit and indeed, see the scenario for some degree of harm.

8. Yeah my area has coons and deers I've been told. I would of did it for plant health, but i'm not even going to try it if I need to let it cook for a month.