Alcohol more dangerous than cocaine.

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Thomas437, Nov 1, 2010.

1. "But experts said it would be impractical and incorrect to outlaw alcohol."

I fucking lol'd

BUT BUT BUT... YOU CANT OUTLAW IT!!! *gasp*

How about maintaining that train of thought when it comes to the even less destructive drugs.

2. Obvious fact is obvious. Cocaine addiction ain't a joke, but neither is caffeine or alcohol addiction.

If I snorted extracted powder caffeine I bet I'd get a rush and a bad crash and GASP eventually build tolerance and experience withdrawl.

Cocaine is another plant, bursting with applicability and psychoactivity. This, as all psychoactives have a degree ofabusablity and risk of dependance like chocolate, alcohol, cannabis etc.

3. more reason to vote yes on 19

4. yeah i heard heroin isnt all that bad for your body. its just addiction potential is high and the withdrawals that can be hell.. also injecting it can also cause some kinds of diseases i think..

5. thats because cocaine is fuckin awesome. even if you do wake up tired broke hungry and skinny its better than wakin up hungover

6. thing with coke (dunno but herrrrroin) is that .... you really dont know how much of it is coke and how much of it is BS.

with alcohol you know you been getting some clean, ready made, fine POISON:hello:
    atleast you know waht u got though;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. foreal these kiddos be snortin baby powdah.

they aint fuckin with that pow-wow thats DYNO-MITE!

8. fo real.

if i could get some pure 100% coke that i know wasnt fukd with... i cant lie i would prob try that shit:eek:

when? where? ever? who knows ... but i highly doubt it

9. as a public service announcement it only takes a little more than a dime of 100% pure clean to stop your heart. just thought i should let yall knoooo dont want nobody croakin on us

10. dime? more exact

11. Another article about same study.

If you'll notice, benzos, ketamine, methadone, ecstasy, steroids, LSD, and mushrroms were all judged to be LESS harmful than cannabis. Not sure I agree with that, although maybe the magic mushroom part. :D

12. Req for a Dream reference haha! +rep

13. Study: Alcohol more dangerous than heroin, cocaine
    MSNBC / Maria Cheng / 11,1,2010

LONDON - Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs like heroin and crack cocaine, according to a new study.

British experts evaluated substances including alcohol, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and marijuana, ranking them based on how destructive they are to the individual who takes them and to society as a whole.

Researchers analyzed how addictive a drug is and how it harms the human body, in addition to other criteria like environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as health care, social services, and prison.

Heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamines, or crystal meth, were the most lethal to individuals. When considering their wider social effects and harm to others, alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the deadliest. But overall, alcohol outranked all other substances, followed by heroin and crack cocaine. Marijuana, ecstasy and LSD scored far lower.

Devastating consequences
    The study was paid for by Britain's Centre for Crime and Justice Studies and was published online Monday in the medical journal, Lancet.

Experts said alcohol scored so high because it is so widely used and has devastating consequences not only for drinkers but for those around them. "Just think about what happens (with alcohol) at every football game," said Wim van den Brink, a professor of psychiatry and addiction at the University of Amsterdam. He was not linked to the study and co-authored a commentary in the Lancet.

When drunk in excess, alcohol damages nearly all organ systems. It is also connected to higher death rates and is involved in a greater percentage of crime than most other drugs, including heroin.

But experts said it would be impractical and incorrect to outlaw alcohol. "We cannot return to the days of prohibition," said Leslie King, an adviser to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and one of the study's authors. "Alcohol is too embedded in our culture and it won't go away."

King said countries should target problem drinkers, not the vast majority of people who indulge in a drink or two. He said governments should consider more education programs and raising the price of alcohol so it isn't as widely available.

Experts said the study should prompt countries to reconsider how they classify drugs. For example, last year in Britain, the government increased its penalties for the possession of marijuana. One of its senior advisers, David Nutt - the lead author on the Lancet study - was fired after he criticized the British decision.

"What governments decide is illegal is not always based on science," said van den Brink. He said considerations about revenue and taxation, like those garnered from the alcohol and tobacco industries, may influence decisions about which substances to regulate or outlaw.

"Drugs that are legal cause at least as much damage, if not more, than drugs that are illicit," he said.

:confused:Since this blows all the protect the children rhetoric out of the water and rules out any claim that the drug warriors were reducing harm to society,what did our government decide we needed protection from marijuana for?
    :confused:

14. #15 oltex, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
    I have always wanted to try coca leaves,to make tea from them as of olde,before man
    screwed with them and extracted cocaine,which uses gasoline in the manufacturing process,,,,,no thnx on the powder.
    Shrooms are a special time and place experience as is peyote.
    And I would even like to try a fresh poppy,before man screws with it.
    Man,if he messes with it long enough,will make it dangerous,,,look what we did with corn and wheat.

PS: I could not discern if the cost of enforcing marijuana prohibition,law enforcement and judicial were in the harms to society equation. If it was,then marijuana is hands down the lowest harm too society!

15. some more info from the same study im guessing. WOW, alcohol worse for you then crystal meth.

Drugs were then scored out of 100, with 100 given to the most harmful drug and zero indicating no harm at all.
    The scientists found alcohol was most harmful, with a score of 72, followed by heroin with 55 and crack with 54.
    Among some of the other drugs assessed were crystal meth (33), cocaine (27), tobacco (26), amphetamine or speed (23), cannabis (20), benzodiazepines, such as Valium (15), ketamine (15), methadone (14), mephedrone (13), ecstasy (9), anabolic steroids (9), LSD (7) and magic mushrooms (5).

i cant imagine steroids being that harmless, but whatever. too bad the government knows more then doctors and scientists....:rolleyes:

16. I wouldn't mind legalized blow:devious:

17. #18 the blunt truth, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2010
    dude no one thinks to compare the alkaloid ratios of coca plants to the ratio of alcohol you can easily make from common grains.

It takes hundreds of pounds of coca leaves to make one ounce of coke, whereas the highest alcohol content you can achieve edit without distillation of course lol, is something like 25 i think, and it takes a hella long time

that said, cocaine is extracted and reacted to make it so pure, so to compare it to alcohol you'd have to compare it to everclear, which is essentially jet fuel that only (imo) idiots would drink, but then again they don't know or care how alcohol even works or what their GABA receptors are it just feels good man or whatever fuckin idiots lol

most substances fit into neurotransmitter sites in the brain, alcohol just slows and deadens the receptors that it affects whaddayaknow

18. "incorrect" lol wtf does that even mean... it would be incorrect to outlaw alcohol? interesting hypothesis, experts.