Album Of The Week

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Gr33nPeace, Oct 12, 2011.

1. My first review is of My Morning Jacket's album Circuital:

1st track Victory Dance: More of an ambient song, sounds almost like they're going for a radiohead-esque type trance more than their usual new age psychedelic sound.

The 2nd track Circuital: ( the opening riff sounds familiar) can't think of the song it reminds me of. More slow, steady, and deep ambiance as compared to a little more upbeat of a tempo. Little Tom Petty style interludes. Feels kind of devoid of emotion, or at least more so than their other work. Eventually breaks out full on into a rhythm that reminds me of Tom Petty. Jim's vocal range doesn't seem as powerful as previous albums, but maybe that's just because i'm thinking of the standout tracks.

3rd track The Day Is Coming: Loving the drumming. Just now noticing how on point the production is. I'm definitely in love with the production. As always, I notice certain lyrics catching me "Bang Bang, on the door, you open, not knowing what for." Lyrics have always been a big part of My Morning Jacket's experience for me. Wondering if I jumped to conclusions about songs being devoid of emotion and just trying to emulate others and maybe this is just a mature and evolved My Morning Jacket? Future songs will tell.

4th track Wonderful (The Way I Feel): The way it opens, loving the acoustic. I feel this song. I can feel it tugging at something in me. I definitely am feeling "Wonderful" (horrible pun I know) Beautiful, sad, happy. All feelings flying around in my head right now. The rhythm just kicked into a kind of old school country song. Really, I just expected banjo to break out. Kind of killed the vibe I had going with this song. Still solid as ear candy, not the emotional experience it was working up to be.

5th track Outta My System: I feel like this is you classic rock Thin Lizzy or Cheap Trick style anthem. The modernized version of said anthem. Short song.

6th track Holdin' On To Black Metal: Opening has caught my attention. Definitely catchy, groovy, something I can get lost in. I'm waiting for a Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. II moment but I haven't gotten yet. That's okay. At this point in the album I'm already feeling that it's solid and a more settled sound. While this might sound contradictory to the last sentence, I also feel they're showing off the range of different styles they can do on this album.

7th track First Light: Gotta be honest I got bored with this song and the Muse style synths, fast forwarded to see if there were any standout parts, then skipped it. Can't listen to a track I don't like. Lol.

8th track You Wanna Freak Out: Opens with a pretty upbeat sound. Love the piano that I'm hearing in the background. This song is really hitting home with me, I think this will definitely be a standout track for me. I definitely would never complain if they did an entire album in the style. I love the final minute and how the guitar comes out of nowhere and kind of hits you in the face. Best song on the album so far without a doubt and it's such a shame it was so short.

9th track Slow Slow Tune: So far it is very aptly named. I'm really feeling the dreamlike quality that the song is engrossing me in. This Slow Slow Tune has me in a really mellow mood. I'm feeling they definitely went with the old cliche and saved the best for last. This could be the soundtrack to any stoners day given the right setting. Jim's voice is definitely outstanding in this song. I don't think I've heard this side of the range of his voice before when he gets low in the song. It was the perfect length. No shorter or no longer could they have made it and it would've been better.

10th and final track Movin' Away: Starting slow and mellow. It feels like it could be a lesser extension of the previous song. That however works for me because I really enjoy when an album really flows. Just don't sacrifice quality of work to flow. It should be a natural flow. For sure a solid tune.

Well the album is now over and it's time for some final thoughts. The production was on point. Jim's voice and the musicianship of the rest of the band was impeccable. However, I feel they tried a little too much range, while at the same time with the other half of the album, really settled into their own matured sound. Few songs really engrossed me but none except one would I say were completely non enjoyable. Solid 7/10.

Any albums you would like to see rated let me know and I'll listen and give my thoughts. If you agree, disagree on this rating then feel free to let me know and discuss your own opinions on this album.

2. Shameful bump.

3. Alright, two more shameful bumps and then I'll give up.

4. Final bump, I will be accepting this thread to be both dead and a failure after this. lol

5. you should maybe do a preamble to the review by giving a lil info regarding the artist and the album.

6. So, your giving reviews to albums by request?

Rate, the album Daisy, by Brand New.

And Democracy, by the Chinese Telephones.

I plan on buying both, but I haven't heard them yet, I feel like Brand new's new album is going to be disappointing.

7. Good idea, i'll do a preamble next time my friend. And i'll give those a listen and get back to you with the reviews :)

8. I know I haven't updated. Sorry about that, I'm dry and the album reviews are kind of something I prefer to do blazed. I feel like I notice subtle things that I would otherwise miss. On a side note I did get the album Daisy by Brand New and I do suggest you get it my friend. When I can I'll get around to doing the review. :smoke: