Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

albino weed?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by joe Biggs, Jun 3, 2008.

1. i posted this in recreational but got little posts so here it is...
    so i was doing this report on albinism for my bio class and i came across this photo.
    [​IMG]
    .. now ive heard of the stand "albino rhino" but i always figured that was just a name not actually from an albino plant. so since it is actually albino my question is, is the weed significantly different because its albino or just different as strands to strands differ.

discuss:

2. wow that looks really intresting, i can dig it.

3. OMG im interested in this now.
    If i could find an albino cutting or seed i would start breeding some sick ass shit.

4. it almost looks like white chocolate

yum

5. i don't believe thats possible in plants dude. albinism affects the pigments in our skin right? the color? well.... plants don't technically have pigments (correct me if i'm wrong) but instead get their color from the chlorophyll. so without chlorophyll... you go from there.

6. your wrong, plants do have pigments called carrotenoids and Chlorophyll
    so i guess it is possible

7. Well the thing is, plants have many many many pigments yes, including chlorophyll and carotene. The thing is, the color white is produced when a wide spectrum of visible light is being reflected. The point of the pigments are to absorb the light energy and transfer it through the chloroplast wall to begin photosynthesis. Now, a pigment absorbs light, and what is reflected (not absorbed) is what is seen. Now, since white is a fairly full and wide spectrum this probably means one of two things. Either the plant produces useless pigments that don't absorb any light, or it produces more different pigments that absorb all of the light equally yet reflecting enough to make it white. Either way id assume its less effective at producing food for itself due to its inability to use the energy efficiently. Therefore id say its probably not worth growing...

Theres a reason plants have high levels of chlorophyll, which is the pigment that makes them green. Its not just some random thing that happened, its a product of evolution over a long time that has proven the most effective in the earths atmosphere and with the suns light.

8. it is possible to have albino plants, they dont survive for very long (something about photosynth)

it is possible... i have seen 2 albino oak seedlings in my arboriculture class.