Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Albino Marijuana Genetics (White Leaves and White Buds) *Pictures*

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by Typewritermonky, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Damn, this plant right cher would look gooder then hell growin in the back of my truck boat truck.

Badkittysmiles: Great info. (i would still grow it just to watch my friends shit themselves when they seen it)

2. GTFO, that's the prettiest thing I've seen in my life.

3. [​IMG]

??

You REALLY need to stop and smell the roses if that's the prettiest thing you've ever seen.

4. This is precisely why shady dealers can still get away with selling bleached bud. The vast majority of smokers, many of whom even grow, have no idea what they're looking at.

5. That looks bloody amazing tbh.

6. wait...what?

7. Most people who have little to no experience in horticulture, aside from cannabis, see the above inferior quality bud, and assume mistakenly that because it's different, it's somehow better. In other words it is a gimmick which preys on those who aren't aware.

Bleached bud is not a new thing, and it is never a good thing; if it's genetic and out of your hands, any effected plants should be discarded to make room for better non-mutated specimens, any plants kept should certainly never be used for breeding. If it's lighting and temps (the tips of, or entire buds, which get too close to the bulb without burning), then it's simple grower-error.

Variegation (half pale yellow-white, half green) is a genetic mutation in horticulture that is bred and allowed for ornamental purposes, due to the aesthetic beauty, and inferior quality of the smaller, often bitter fruits and flowers produced, in comparison to their -healthy- counterparts. Both quality and yield suffers in variegated plants, when compared to unaffected specimens of the exact same species or strain. Visually it is appealing. As a flower arrangement, or non-smokable display, these plants do have value.
    But it's not just a lack of chlorophyll. It is not generally harsh, but it does not smoke well, and has very little medicinal value... 'mild' is the nice way of putting it. Flavorless and virtually impotent, is the reality.

If you already have adequate smoke or medicine, and you have the space to spare in your grow room, then by all means experiment with variegated plants. It's fun the first few times.
    But I would hate for someone, without those resources, to unknowingly invest what little time and money they have on inferior genetics, if potency or a decent yield is required.

8. When i start growing and breeding i would have a separate grow just for mutated plants. Experiment with breeding them with themselves and the non mutated ones just for the fuck of it.

9. Unfortunately based on the messages, many do not care whether the end product is any good or if it is a good business decision to grow it. I bet many will even say it is the best weed they had after smoking it even if the high was just a buzz hehe. The world demands pretty things these days regardless of the effectiveness of the product. If it's prettier than the product in the 70's, then it must be better.

They certainly looked pretty at first sight, but they turned ugly after I got educated by several here and looked closer. It is argued that the weed will sell at top price on color alone. Amazing but sadly, true. Thanks.

10. thats pretty interesting, let us know how it smokes!

11. That's all I was trying to say.

I never said I had any interest in getting higher off of "bleached" bud than normal, more potent shit.

12. The plants in the photos are not "bleached," they are a genetic expression that does not produce as much chlorophyll as most plants. There is a distinct difference between light bleaching and albinism...

13. Got hella haters on this thread

14. i would love to have this..people would think oh man this has gotta be dome super duper dankity dank.

15. I don't mean to be arrogant, but I am majoring in Biology and can shed some light on some of the miscommunication in this thread.

The plant I posted and am acquiring has albinoism in it's genetics, which I will explain below, and why I think that growing this plant in a quality setup will result in quality plants.

Bleached just means turning white from the latin word. When it is "bleached", it is in it's genetics. It doesn't mean that bleach has been added to the plant to make it turn white, it is a error in chromosome assortment known as polyploidy, where a certain chromosome has an extra to it's pair, known as a triploid chromosome (that has three alleles compared to a normal homologous chromosome that has two alleles as a pair). This extra allele causes a change in transcription and translation of the DNA, causing the gene for Photosystem II and Photosystem I (the things in the thylakoid membranes of chlorophyll in chloroplasts that are the plants cells that do photosynthesis) to not be activated as much due to a change in translated exons and introns.

This means that less ATP and NADPH can be generated by photosynthesis which means that less is fed to the calvin cycle which means less G3P (glucose) is produced which means less cannabinoids are produced by nature. By adding nutrients that allow a plant to generate ATP and NADPH through alternate cycles and aiding light and dark reactions, a solid amount of THC and CBD's can be generated with a beautiful white-and-pink ornamental look that would blow anyone's mind in person.

TL;DR: White bud is due to a genetic error where less photosynthesis can occur due to less chlorophyll, but with supplemental nutrients and quality HPS good-spectrum lights, other cycles and photosynthesis in the plant can result in a still good quality, wowing ornamental plant that is sure to blow anyone away in person.

Sure, it might lie in the 10-18% THC position, but don't tell me you don't wanna pack a bong rip of that with some of DJ Short's white hash and keif on top.

:cool:

16. Uh Oh, this looks like that Cali radiation bud that was being discussed on the forums a few weeks back. lol

17. id pay $60 a gram to try some of that shit!

18. Point proven...

19. "The plants in the photos are not "bleached," they are a genetic expression that does not produce as much chlorophyll as most plants."

Chlorophyll
    More like borophyll