Ak-48 grow - Small DR40 tent, 140W pro-grow LED - Second grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by RJ42, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Hey RJ, lookin great. Re-read your journal and I didn't see if you were using just the veg mode on your light or veg and flower together. Was just curious. Just an opinion for you to gain some LST confidence, I counted around 20 bud sites on my mediocre plant outside. Granted they're all pretty small, but as stated I didn't have the proper "materials" this go around. Maybe you could try just one plant for now, or give it a go next time.

2. Hey thanks man, that's good to know. I started LSTing one of the bagseeds thanks to your advice.
    I've kept the LED on with all the lights for about 90% of the grow so far. Seems like the extra light helps.

3. I cut it off, and 4 more bud sites have completely opened up since this morning...crazy! I think removing the fan leaves helped the new growth get extra light.

4. #84 RJ42, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
    AK - 48:
    Left - 31 days veg
    Right - 38 days veg

Younger female is quickly catching up.
    From here on out, these will be the only two plants I update. I decided to just use the bag-seeds for educational purposes, instead of cluttering my grow room and risking pollination of the females.

Attached Files:

5. Looks nic man, loving the colour :p haha from your lights
    how are the temps now? and i made some adjustments to my baby today and bought some nutes so i hope im good now till im all done growin em :p just need to go pick up some 2700k T5's to switch from my 6500k ones :p so i get better flowering but ill do that a bit later, or i may try to use all 6500k see how it works out :p

6. haha thanks man, I like the color as well. For some reason it's a lot more purple/pink looking on camera compared to in person.

There is always more stuff to buy ;).
    Awesome, I'm excited to see how yours turns out.

7. Nice I am really liking the progress of these LED lamps your getting.

8. The younger of the two has quickly taken over. However, she is developing small holes in one or two of her fan leaves. Anyone know why this could be?

I'm a bit worried about my oldest, still looks healthy but not growing much in the last week or so.

Attached Files:

9. #89 bhp70, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
    They look good man. I can't see the holes you're talking about, but when I think holes, I think pests. If you can't see anything obvious in terms of an infestation, you might hit them with a foliar spray of diluted neem oil. Could help, as it does combat certain pests, and cetainly won't hurt...plus it makes the leaves nice and shiny. The Dyna-Gro stuff is pretty easy to find.

Might be nothing too, like I said, I don't see it, but the neem rubdown is a pretty good GP from what I've seen. Picked up a little recipe from one of the organic forums using kelp extract, Dyna-Gro Protekt, and Dyna-Gro neem oil. Started using it on some newer stuff I've been working with a while back, and it really does seem to do great things for the leaf structure if nothing else, with the added benefit of some pest prevention.

Like anything else, it's a moderation deal of course.

10. #90 RJ42, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks, I will definitely follow your advise if it gets worse. However, I don't think the problem is bugs. Even when the leaves were growing in, I could see there was something wrong with them. They are just tiny holes (I think only 3 all together?), you can only see them in the picture if you click on it twice and supersize.

A few extra fan leaves have grown in since then, and I haven't noticed anymore holes or anything out of the ordinary, so hopefully I'm good.

11. Yeah dude...not to clutter your thread with other pics, but here's a shot of one that I was using that foliar on. The lighting's a little goofy, but it paints the general picture.

I know the leaves on the stuff in my journal are horrific right now, so just wanted to give you a visual of what I was talking about. You can sort of make out the cool sheen it gives them.

PS I really hope I didn't just double post that

Attached Files:

12. @bhp70
    No, you're good man.

Those leaves look perfect.
    Is this the stuff you're talking about?
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Pure-Neem-Oil-Ounces/dp/B0012BGXVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316556232&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Dyna-Gro Pure Neem Oil - 8 Ounces: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

I'm assuming you used the organic recipe on that plant? If I see anything even reminiscent of bugs from here on out I will definitely pick some up. Probably get some regardless when I get more funds.

Thanks again for the advice. Think you'll start using the neem oil a lot more now? Those leaves are definitely impressive.

13. Here is my tapwater. Ouch.
    Been adding some aquarium PH down until I get the right PH. Hopefully it's working, haha.

Attached Files:

14. I wouldnt use aquarium ph up and down, you need a proper ph up and down for the plants I think.

15. Thanks for watching my back, but on the back of the bottle it says it's safe to use with plants, so hopefully it is :). API brand in case anyone is wondering.

16. #96 handaman, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
    It should be fine, if it's safe for fish it should be safe for plants. I just use lime juice, it's cheap.

EDIT: It's also a key ingredient in kamikazes and other cocktails, so I typically have it on hand.

17. My youngest gal has grown a bit since last update.

Any recommendations on when I should start flower? I just want maximum yield for the tent, time is not all that important.

Attached Files:

18. Looks like you're pretty tight on space (width) so I would probably flower rather soon. What does everyone else think?

19. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I will move them so they are growing diagonally, soon. At least that will buy me a couple more inches for both plants, ha. Definitely gonna be tight on space.

20. Well AK-48 is an indica dominant hybrid so it'l definitly get bushy more and stretch about 2x-2.5x in height from where you induce 12/12.