Ak-48 grow - Small DR40 tent, 140W pro-grow LED - Second grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by RJ42, Aug 10, 2011.

1. How old is she? I say top her, as long as she has 3-4 sets of nodes, she's ready.

2. #62 RJ42, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
    Well she is like a month old, but I've caused so much stress I don't know if the time counts. Definitely doing well now though, so I think I'm just gonna do it soon.

Does topping definitely increase yield? Or just space?

Update: The slightly younger female AK-48 I have is starting to really grow, which is good to see. Kinda weird looking, but she was definitely on the brink of death, so it's good to see.
    Tallest AK-48 has some slight sideways twisting of the two outside fan leaves. Is this a sign of heat stress? Two bag-seeds also have a slight curl.

Attached Files:

3. Hey RJ. Still here, been a little busy. Glad to see them doing well. Can't really comment on the topping, no experience. I did fim one plant a couple months ago to try it out. Seen what appeared to be new growth sprouting but it was outside and became a victim to animals shortly after. I'm sure you'll do fine though.

4. The bagseed sprouts are really starting to smell like weed already. Is this normal? All three AK-48 plants I had never started to smell until flower, yet these two little sprouts both reek, haha.

5. If you're worried about headroom, I'd definitely recommend topping and LST/supercropping. I haven't done any scientifically rigorous studies, but it definitely decreases height and increases bud sites... or at least that's what the anecdotal evidence shows.

If you feel like topping or fimming, I'd say they're ready, they all look big enough to take it well.

6. Great, thanks a lot man.

7. Update
    I topped my biggest girl, decided I was gonna let the other AK-48 just grow regularly to compare the two and learn a bit more.

Everything going well, just transplanted two bag-seeds into 1 gallon smart pots. Getting big!

Modified a computer fan for my intake. Temps already going down, 79-81 degrees closed....which is amazing because lately it's been 83-91 degrees unless I left the tent completely open.

Attached Files:

8. How old are they now? Looking good.

9. Ages are roughly:
    Ak-48: 35 and 28 days.
    Bagseeds: 18 days.

10. Wow. They are looking very healthy. Nice work.

11. Thanks dude. You starting another journal anytime soon?

12. Yea. I'm almost ready. Finishing up an improvement on my cab ventilation. Bigger intake opening and bigger duct going into the fan. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do with your pro grow light. Your plants look great so far. Cheers.

13. Looks killler man, i have the exact same tent and just got it strted with my clones :p howmuch did you pay for yours. i also have t5's with mine and CFL i need to find a good fan though :p
    im sooo sub'd cant wait to see how yours goes man :)
    hope you come check mine out :)

14. PS where did you get the small clip fan for circulation ?!!!

15. What kind of temps are you seeing? Just curious because with my situation, I have lots of exhaust but im seeing high temps.

My situation:
    I have a larger tent with a 6" inline fan going out to the attic. Im seeing temps of 89F with 150Watts of Cfls. I plan on swapping to my daystar 600 watt hps to see if it runs cooler since thats where my heat is vented out of...

16. Nice set up! They look healthy! Check my grow. My baby's r about 3 weeks or so old, and I have LST one. First time grower, but u should see her, she's super Kush, soooo bushy. She's got like 15+ node sites. Good luck on ur grow keep up the good work, don't forget to reward urself with a fat bowl.

17. #78 RJ42, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
    @Canadian RooR
    Thanks man, I paid around $80 for it shipped here. I'll go check your grow now!
    I got the fan from wal-mart, haha. It was $4 and I just use a couple zip ties to hang it in the corner.

@bwitsne
    Temps have been good lately, thanks to that computer fan I rigged up as an intake. When I was using passive intake I had crazy temps; 84-92 degrees usually. Now I'm at 79-84 degrees pretty consistent, and I have 48W of CFL and that LED now. So I would say the key in keeping this tent cool (Or any tent I would guess) is bringing more cool air in instead of exhausting more hot air.
    My tent doesn't feel like the exhaust level has changed at all since I did this, the temps just dropped.

@Climbstoned
    Thanks a lot man. I'll check yours out. I'm about to reward myself right now ;)

18. #79 RJ42, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    Picture update! Oldest is growing fast after the topping, except a CFL fell over and scorched one of her fan leaves, oops.

Today is the last watering I will do with only trace nutes. Next watering I will begin 1/3 or 1/2 strength of nutes based on the FF feeding schedule.

Attached Files:

19. RJ, That one leaf that is scorched can be cut off.

It wont be growing back.